Why do other top-10 players even bother? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 84
                     
Why do other top-10 players even bother?

After reading so many articles and posts about Henin and her succes, I get the idea the many people think that Justine is the only one who will win the big titles next season. If we would assume that all these 'experts' are right, why would players like Sharapova, the Williams sisters, Ivanovic and all the others even bother to pick up their rackets and play tournaments. To me it looks like it's already decided that Henin will win it all.....
I just disagree with this. Tennis is exciting, because other players can rise too. I'm a huge Williams sisters fan, but they couldn't maintain it over the years....let's just wait and see what happens in the coming year, because if we would all believe all the assumptions there's no point for other players to play...
V-fan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Helaena's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,928
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

ummmmm
Helaena is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
SharapovaFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,874
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-fan View Post
After reading so many articles and posts about Henin and her succes, I get the idea the many people think that Justine is the only one who will win the big titles next season. If we would assume that all these 'experts' are right, why would players like Sharapova, the Williams sisters, Ivanovic and all the others even bother to pick up their rackets and play tournaments. To me it looks like it's already decided that Henin will win it all.....
I just disagree with this. Tennis is exciting, because other players can rise too. I'm a huge Williams sisters fan, but they couldn't maintain it over the years....let's just wait and see what happens in the coming year, because if we would all believe all the assumptions there's no point for other players to play...
Well it's because she is THE BEST right now. Look at the New England Patriots in football. They are THE BEST... 16-0 perfect season.

That is why they play the games, but until someone knocks her off in a Grand Slam, just like until someone knocks off the Patriots in the playoffs the media will continue to write this way.

By the way I'm pretty sure the media wrote this way about both William's sisters at a point in their careers, so I don't get your post the least bit.
SharapovaFan16 is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,582
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

say what? its because what critics think doesnt make it so and because all players have belief in themselves that they can be the best that is why!
Nemo_Kool is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
plantman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Out in Alaska
Posts: 12,153
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharapovaFan16 View Post
Well it's because she is THE BEST right now. Look at the New England Patriots in football. They are THE BEST... 16-0 perfect season.

That is why they play the games, but until someone knocks her off in a Grand Slam, just like until someone knocks off the Patriots in the playoffs the media will continue to write this way.

By the way I'm pretty sure the media wrote this way about both William's sisters at a point in their careers, so I don't get your post the least bit.

"I USED to be Snow White....but I drifted."
MAE WEST
plantman is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
SharapovaFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,874
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantman View Post


That's me bowing down to myself.

Like Ric Flair said: "To be the man... you've got to beat the man!"
SharapovaFan16 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the real world
Posts: 589
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-fan View Post
After reading so many articles and posts about Henin and her succes, I get the idea the many people think that Justine is the only one who will win the big titles next season. If we would assume that all these 'experts' are right, why would players like Sharapova, the Williams sisters, Ivanovic and all the others even bother to pick up their rackets and play tournaments. To me it looks like it's already decided that Henin will win it all.....
I just disagree with this. Tennis is exciting, because other players can rise too. I'm a huge Williams sisters fan, but they couldn't maintain it over the years....let's just wait and see what happens in the coming year, because if we would all believe all the assumptions there's no point for other players to play...
Ninny is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
SIN DIOS NI LEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Araucania Indomable
Posts: 13,310
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

[QUOTE=SharapovaFan16;12251455Like Ric Flair said: "To be the man... you've got to beat the man!"[/QUOTE]

This Flair is good
SIN DIOS NI LEY is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Dino?Dino.Dino!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Basseterre
Posts: 722
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

What goes up, must come down. A number of things could happen. We'll just have to sit it out.
Dino?Dino.Dino! is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the real world
Posts: 589
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharapovaFan16 View Post
Well it's because she is THE BEST right now. Look at the New England Patriots in football. They are THE BEST... 16-0 perfect season.

That is why they play the games, but until someone knocks her off in a Grand Slam, just like until someone knocks off the Patriots in the playoffs the media will continue to write this way.

By the way I'm pretty sure the media wrote this way about both William's sisters at a point in their careers, so I don't get your post the least bit.
Great post
Ninny is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the real world
Posts: 589
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino?Dino.Dino! View Post
What goes up, must come down. A number of things could happen. We'll just have to sit it out.
Exactly ... the fans are just enjoying it whilst she's up there
Ninny is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
plantman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Out in Alaska
Posts: 12,153
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharapovaFan16 View Post


That's me bowing down to myself.

Like Ric Flair said: "To be the man... you've got to beat the man!"
Even if it's done "dirty"....

"I USED to be Snow White....but I drifted."
MAE WEST
plantman is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
mb011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,293
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

The author of this thread is right of course. Nothing is decided in advance. Just look at wimbledon 07.
mb011 is online now  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
sfselesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nirvana
Posts: 5,916
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

*Mental note to dig this thread up after Justine's AO spanking.*

SF

My Feelings on the U.S. Democratic Primary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lvc-azCXY
sfselesfan is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
HAND SCRAPED
 
-Sonic-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: England
Posts: 7,155
                     
Re: Why do other top-10 players even bother?

You can't blame them for thinking it though can you....

What was her winning percentage last year? how many matches did she lose?

They've got a higher chance of being right if they go with those odds than picking one out of the other 1000 players on the tour, who most certainly didn't have a year anything like Justine's. And who doesn't like being right?
-Sonic- is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome