Should tennis fans be monogamous? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
only_one_maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,335
                     
Should tennis fans be monogamous?

Okay, I'll explain what I mean.

I was just reading a post on the Kirilenko board and one of her fans stated that she was pleased with Masha's title this season, even though she beat Daniela. So, obviously for this Masha fan Daniela is the no.1.

But can you really support more than one player? I aways follow Kirilenko and never look at another woman. Yet there seem to be many people on here who claim to be fans of lots of different players. Surely a true fan can only have one player, right? How can you care so much about a player if you are prepared to support others aswell?

Obviously if I'm watching a match between 2 girls I might pick a favourite. But I'd never call myself a fan.

Consider this. Can you imagine someone saying that they were a fan of Manchester United, Liverpool AND West Ham. Or what about Lazio, AC Milan and Juventus. Of course not! You have to choose ONE.

Serial monogamy is fine (what are Steffi Graf fans to do?) but I wouldn't trust people who claim to be fans of 6 or 7 players - all of whom are in the top 20! You have to choose.

http://i25.tinypic.com/j7z1hz.jpg

Goonies never say die!
only_one_maria is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Tsveti's#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,025
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_one_maria View Post
Consider this. Can you imagine someone saying that they were a fan of Manchester United, Liverpool AND West Ham. Or what about Lazio, AC Milan and Juventus. Of course not! You have to choose ONE.
ULTIMATELY you have to choose one. For example - if they were to play in the Final.

I am a fan of the Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys and Melbourne Storm in the NRL, and a fan of the Brisbane Bullets, Townsville Crocodiles and Cairns Taipans in the NBL. For every match they play I support them, UNLESS they play each other. In which case I support both Brisbane teams cause they are my favourites.

Tennis is no different. I support 30 odd players, but Gisela Dulko is my number 1 and I support her over ALL others.

To answer your question, I think fans can support many players, and it doesn't make you any less of a fan cause you have a few other favourites.




Gisela Dulko. Forever.


Also I like Rena.
Proud hater of Sharapova.
Tsveti's#1Fan is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
TheBoiledEgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: in Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 180,725
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_one_maria View Post
Consider this. Can you imagine someone saying that they were a fan of Manchester United, Liverpool AND West Ham. Or what about Lazio, AC Milan and Juventus. Of course not! You have to choose ONE.
big diff is: football teams stay the same thru time.
players come and go

Good luck to my favs

AZARENKA

*Kuznetsova*Sharapova*Kleybanova*Vesnina*Shvedova*Kulichkova*Kasatkina*
Pavlyuchenkova*Makarova*Diatchenko*Pivovarova*Gasparyan*Leykina*Zhuk*Potapova*Pervushina**Govortsova
MINELLA TsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea
*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*
Cetkovska*Svitolina*
*Bellis*Soylu*Sibille*Uberalova*Eden Silva*
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
only_one_maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,335
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

TBH, I'm wary of fans who say they like other players too. I feel more comfortable with people who support ONLY Kirilenko and really aren't too bothered about the others.

As I say, I have those I like more than others, but I can only be a fan of 1 player.

http://i25.tinypic.com/j7z1hz.jpg

Goonies never say die!
only_one_maria is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Watching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,155
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

My ultimate atp favourite is Federer. I can watch other matches and enjoy them but I want him to win every match he enters.

Same for wta, my favourite is Serena. I want her to win every match however I don't mind that much if she loses to Venus who is second favourite. I sometimes watch other wta matches because they're on tv but I don't really enjoy them.

Roger Federer
15 Grand Slam Titles
The Serena Slam
23 Grand Slam Titles
Watching is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
plantman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Out in Alaska
Posts: 12,153
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~lollipop_guy~ View Post
ULTIMATELY you have to choose one. For example - if they were to play in the Final.

I am a fan of the Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys and Melbourne Storm in the NRL, and a fan of the Brisbane Bullets, Townsville Crocodiles and Cairns Taipans in the NBL. For every match they play I support them, UNLESS they play each other. In which case I support both Brisbane teams cause they are my favourites.

Tennis is no different. I support 30 odd players, but Gisela Dulko is my number 1 and I support her over ALL others.

To answer your question, I think fans can support many players, and it doesn't make you any less of a fan cause you have a few other favourites.

plantman is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
DAVAJ MKirilenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 14,269
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_one_maria View Post
Okay, I'll explain what I mean.

I was just reading a post on the Kirilenko board and one of her fans stated that she was pleased with Masha's title this season, even though she beat Daniela. So, obviously for this Masha fan Daniela is the no.1.

But can you really support more than one player? I aways follow Kirilenko and never look at another woman. Yet there seem to be many people on here who claim to be fans of lots of different players. Surely a true fan can only have one player, right? How can you care so much about a player if you are prepared to support others aswell?

Obviously if I'm watching a match between 2 girls I might pick a favourite. But I'd never call myself a fan.

Consider this. Can you imagine someone saying that they were a fan of Manchester United, Liverpool AND West Ham. Or what about Lazio, AC Milan and Juventus. Of course not! You have to choose ONE.

Serial monogamy is fine (what are Steffi Graf fans to do?) but I wouldn't trust people who claim to be fans of 6 or 7 players - all of whom are in the top 20! You have to choose.
I completely understand you. It's the same with me.
I support Ana for 100% and I actually feel that there's no place for others. I'm not even trying much to look for another favorite.
Ana will be my number 1 anyhow.

The only problem for me is that I probably will lose interest in tennis when she retires.
I had the same with Richard Krajicek. I followed him since 1992. He was my only favorite. I watched WTA as well, but ATP had the priorty.
When he retired I lost the interest. I watched tennis now and then, but not closely cause Richard wasn't there anymore.
Cause of this I didn't discover Ana earlier than 2005. That's too bad.
I'm glad I have that feeling again of a real fanship. It's great and Ana is only in her early years


1. Ana Ivanovic

2. Maria Kirilenko
3. Anastasija Sevastova
DAVAJ MKirilenko is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,486
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

Richard Gasquet and Davydenko (Davalicious) are cool
DimaDinosaur is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM
Look who's back!
 
Sean.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 32,452
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

Well I have always supported Justine since her SW19 final with Venus, the first tennis match i ever watched.

But since Ivanovic burst onto the tour I'm not sure who I like more. I want Justine to win the golden slam next year, but I want Ivanovic to win a gland slam! So I am very confused right now!

But I think you can be a fan of more that one player, you will always like some players more than others but you cant just pick one that you like and ignore the rest.
Sean. is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Melly Flew Us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: i love mike
Posts: 2,090
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

people who enjoy tennis as a sport can support more than one player but may not have a real favourite. fan(atic)s have different motivations for supporting a player but do so wholeheartedly. me, i'm a bit of both so i have one real fav and can support other players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-girl View Post
Let's just put it like this, there is Justine Bieber (I just threw up a little) who ... is hyped far beyond his talent.

Then you have Michael Jackson & that name speaks for itself, no hype needed at all.
Melly Flew Us is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,798
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

Considering tennis is an individual sport and unless your fav is winning weekend and out, how can you not enjoy other players?
Jakeev is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Max565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Londres
Posts: 1,388
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

I like watching other players. Just because Hingis has retired doesn't mean that I'll stop watching tennis. It's still my favourite sport. However, following tennis events through the internet (coming to WTA World for example) will not be as interesting because I won't be as eager to find out results of tennis matches (unless they're major finals).

But anyways, I find it strange how some people can support so many players. It's only one player for me, Martina. But then again, I will sometimes root for players to win (ie Sharapova)

I ♥ Hingis
Max565 is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
 
FrchTwst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 388
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

You should only have 3 or 4 favorites. Szavay, Serena, Venus and Mauresmo.

Go Agnes !!!


Agnes Szavay Beijing and Palermo Champion and New Haven runner up


Venus Wiliams
Wimbledon Champ and Winner of Memphis & Seoul.


Serena Williams Australian Open Champ
and kicked Henin's butt in Miami
FrchTwst is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 35,994
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

I only really have two favorites. Myskina and Dementieva
Demska is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2007, 10:56 PM
Heyyy
 
SvetaPleaseWin.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,784
                     
Re: Should tennis fans be monogamous?

i have 3 big favourites-Sveta, Serena and Flavia in that order
SvetaPleaseWin. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome