How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?) - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Open the Light
 
stevos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,374
                     
How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

It seems that lately I've been reading people say "I normally don't like Maria, but I really hope she does well at the YEC", or "I think I'm a Maria fan now".

It's all pretty interesting, and it's probably due to the fact she was so down and out, and was vulnerable, but came back and showed us how strong she can be.

Or is it because there's no one else to like right now?

Why do you think she's gained more respect lately (or am I just oblivious, and everyone still hates her?).

gone
stevos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 04:00 AM
Senior Member
 
spiritedenergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,701
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

she has a long way to go to gain some respect. First she should stop screaming on-court, second she should act less stuck up, third she should quit her neverending and pathetic runner-up speeches.

spiritedenergy is offline  
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,063
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

most decent people aren't going to kick a dog while it's down. it's natural that people would soften on Maria when she's going through hard times and respect the way she brought her game back at the end of the year. We've also had much less exposure to Yuri this year and the shrieking seems to have been toned down a bit.

Things change very quickly. I've resolved not to get stuck into players too much anymore but expect the haters to return to force when Maria is winning a lot next year.
switz is offline  
post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Senior Member
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 10,199
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

Well, Maria used to be the villain for a while. Now most fans see their faves getting beat down by Henin and a lot of people are going to root for the closest healthy consistent challenge and that is Sharapova.

I always wanted to be somebody. If I made it, it's half because I was game enough to take a lot of punishment along the way and half because there were a lot of people who cared enough to help me.
-Althea Gibson


Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline  
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Senior Member
 
A Magicman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hannover
Posts: 9,064
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

She is one of my favorite three top level players.

Eugenie Bouchard - Naomi Osaka

and a reminiscence to the past:
HELEN KELESI FOREVER
Hater of Ratwanska & Wozniacki
A Magicman is offline  
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Senior Member
 
canuckfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,928
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
she has a long way to go to gain some respect. First she should stop screaming on-court, second she should act less stuck up, third she should quit her neverending and pathetic runner-up speeches.
I think we get your point already.

Now you can stop posting the same shit in every threads

canuckfan is offline  
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Juju4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 410
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

I guess you can count me in. As a tennis fan, Her defeats at the USO and Kremlin cup were disappointing. I think that a healthy and in form Maria is very important for the WTA. When she decided to play the YEC, I was afraid like most of the posters here(even her fans) she'll be destroyed, but she came back as strong as ever. I was so happy to see her playing her best again, I kind of became her fan for this event.

Merci Justine!


Agnieszka Radwanska - Beautifull style, tons of talent and variety, and the cutest smile on tour.
Juju4ever is offline  
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Eclipsed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 11,509
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevos View Post
It seems that lately I've been reading people say "I normally don't like Maria, but I really hope she does well at the YEC", or "I think I'm a Maria fan now".

It's all pretty interesting, and it's probably due to the fact she was so down and out, and was vulnerable, but came back and showed us how strong she can be.

Or is it because there's no one else to like right now?

Why do you think she's gained more respect lately (or am I just oblivious, and everyone still hates her?).
It probably only appears that way to you because you have a huge hard on for her.

just kidding.

In all seriousness, it's probably because people sympathize with her since she's had so many injury problems. People are probably also proud of how well she's done at the YEC considering it's one of her only tournaments during the indoor season. I for one had pegged her to lose to almost everyone in her in group.

Write that down that i'm supporting Maria in this time period because you'll most likely never see it again.

Venus "Goddess" Williams


Lindsay Lee-Waters | Mary Pierce | Serena Williams | Elena Bovina | Jelena Dokic
Eclipsed is offline  
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:31 AM
The Comeback Begins - January 2010.
 
ZeroSOFInfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,481
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

She's one of my "4 Angels Of Tennis" (i.e: my faves ) - others are Justine (obviously ), Ana and Dani.

Since when? June 2004

Your sig picture exceeds the 200 pixel height limit.

Australian Open 2010 Final Result:-
Lost to Serena Williams 4-6, 6-3, 2-6 (Great job, girl! Now prepare for FO!)
ZeroSOFInfinity is offline  
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Senior Member
 
So Disrespectful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,118
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

People tend to like players more coming back from injury.

Daniela Hantuchova.

Casey Dellacqua, Jelena Jankovic, Anna-Lena Groenefeld,
Jelena Dokic, Mirjana Lucic, Sara Tomic, Sloane Stephens
Melanie Oudin, Kaia Kanepi, Alison Riske
So Disrespectful is offline  
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM
goatra
 
Renalicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,766
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

I was going for her at the YEC for numerous reasons...

1) Anyone who is a threat to Justine is a-ok in my books.
2) Sharapova played really well in the YEC and showed who's boss.
3) I do like underdogs, and she was definitely one.
4) She was no longer a threat to the Williams Sisters.


serena, jankovic, venus, na, hsieh, date-krumm, jovanovski
makarova, diatchenko, halep, goerges and kvitova

My Youtube Channel
Renalicious is offline  
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 09:38 AM
The Comeback Begins - January 2010.
 
ZeroSOFInfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,481
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoV&Rena View Post
4) She was no longer a threat to the Williams Sisters.
Correction... she IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE a threat to the Williams Sisters.

Just because she got walloped by them this year doesn't mean she isn't a threat to them anymore....

Your sig picture exceeds the 200 pixel height limit.

Australian Open 2010 Final Result:-
Lost to Serena Williams 4-6, 6-3, 2-6 (Great job, girl! Now prepare for FO!)
ZeroSOFInfinity is offline  
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Rena's Army
 
BuTtErFrEnA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "The Terror of Veerror"
Posts: 34,280
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
most decent people aren't going to kick a dog while it's down. it's natural that people would soften on Maria when she's going through hard times and respect the way she brought her game back at the end of the year. We've also had much less exposure to Yuri this year and the shrieking seems to have been toned down a bit.

Things change very quickly. I've resolved not to get stuck into players too much anymore but expect the haters to return to force when Maria is winning a lot next year.
LOL sorry to say but this has probably only a bit of truth to it and i'll name a couple of players...serena and venus


anyways my only thing against her was that she was hyped by the media as the greatest thing since sliced bread which all came because she beat who the media did not like (no names ) cause i believe if she had beat anyone else it probably wouldn't have meant the same thing to the media (and yes in that sense i believe she was overrated)...now the same media is tearing her down after all the hype because she is injured...that i can understand and relate to from a williams fan perspective so that's how my mind changed...

Raúl hasta siempre capitán ♥♥♥


I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline  
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 09:51 AM
goatra
 
Renalicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,766
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSOFInfinity View Post
Correction... she IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE a threat to the Williams Sisters.

Just because she got walloped by them this year doesn't mean she isn't a threat to them anymore....
Let's face it...the only credible win for Sharapova over Serena was the Wimbledon final. Miami - Serena won. YEC - Serena was up 4-0 INJURED, strong possibility that she would have won. AO - Serena was playing pretty crap and Sharapova was playing some of her best tennis, and yet she came through. AO 07 - Demolition job. Miami 07 - Even more of a demolition job. She's probably a threat to both but not a big one.


serena, jankovic, venus, na, hsieh, date-krumm, jovanovski
makarova, diatchenko, halep, goerges and kvitova

My Youtube Channel
Renalicious is offline  
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Donna DOnna DOonnaaa
 
Princeza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,027
                     
Re: How Many Posters Have Become Maria Fans Now (Or At Least Like Her More?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSOFInfinity View Post
Correction... she IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE a threat to the Williams Sisters.

Just because she got walloped by them this year doesn't mean she isn't a threat to them anymore....
Exactly

Serbian and Croatian idiots
Princeza is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome