Once again, shame on the calendar ! - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Strastib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 926
                     
Thumbs down Once again, shame on the calendar !

Why does Jankovic lost 4/6 4/6 against Vaidisova ?
Why does Ivanovic lost 3/6 1/6 against Golovin ?
Why does Chakvetadze lost 3 match in a row ?
Why do Petrova and Sharapova are injured ?

BECAUSE The calendar is tooo long, players are exhausted ...
Strastib is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 124
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

I got school 365 days a year. Get over it. It's a job and something needs to do it.
Resident Evil is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 103,657
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

I'm amazed Jankovic can still play at all. She's crazy.
Anna wanted to take a break for one week. She's fine.

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,633
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident Evil View Post
I got school 365 days a year. Get over it. It's a job and something needs to do it.
good one. same for me
Russianboy is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 124
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

Not to mention they take health dietary products to increase their longevity. And they have physical trainers and what not.
Resident Evil is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Ingokoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Posts: 437
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by strastib View Post
Why does Jankovic lost 4/6 4/6 against Vaidisova ?
Why does Ivanovic lost 3/6 1/6 against Golovin ?
Why does Chakvetadze lost 3 match in a row ?
Why do Petrova and Sharapova are injured ?

BECAUSE The calendar is tooo long, players are exhausted ...

Your point is ridiculous. Nobody has forced these players to play so much tournaments in a row, especially JJ has played more than any other person, even every crap Tier III tournament she entered, that is really nothing what is necessary when you are a Top 10 player. So you have to blame the players for their decisions, not the calendar.

Simona Halep, Petra Kvitova, Sabine Lisicki, Flavia Pennetta

STEFFI GRAF, KIM CLIJSTERS, LINDSAY DAVENPORT & AMÉLIE MAURESMO
Ingokoer is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Senior Member
 
OsloErik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,658
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by strastib View Post
Why does Jankovic lost 4/6 4/6 against Vaidisova ?
Why does Ivanovic lost 3/6 1/6 against Golovin ?
Why does Chakvetadze lost 3 match in a row ?
Why do Petrova and Sharapova are injured ?

BECAUSE The calendar is tooo long, players are exhausted ...
Well, that's one explanation.

I'd argue that: Jankovic overplayed this year, and Chakvetadze is suffering mental withdrawal after a letting golden opportunity for a slam final fall apart. Plus, Vaidisova isn't exactly a pushover, and Chakvetadze has only lost to top 20 players since the US Open.

Ivanovic is streaky, and Golovin is hardly a nobody.

Petrova and Sharapova are injured for a variety of reasons, and overplaying isn't the fault of the calendar. If you wanted to, you only have to play 5 tournaments. That's not an awful lot. I'd argue it's because their bodies aren't built properly for the stress they put on it with their games. They play too physically for their body types, and they should know better than to play heavy schedules with those problems.

Petrova has been over taxing her body for four years now, and Sharapova is the victim of her limitations; her attempts to become more well rounded as a player have decreased the number of hours she can play. If she strikes the right balance, she can still be number one.

Henin had the same problem in '04 after she bulked up for the '03 season and played around 20 tournaments; now, she plays very selectively, and paces her year extremely shrewdly. The Williams do that as well, although the technical deficiency of their game leads to injuries regardless. That doesn't mean they (Sharapova, Venus and Serena, Justine, etc.) are bad players, just that they need to find the right balance between fitness, power, all-around ability, and scheduling. There's not much that the tour can do about it.
OsloErik is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16,048
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

Maybe the calendar is too long but what you mention in your list has nothing to do with that so...
homogenius is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Matt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 16,209
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingokoer View Post
Your point is ridiculous. Nobody has forced these players to play so much tournaments in a row, especially JJ has played more than any other person, even every crap Tier III tournament she entered, that is really nothing what is necessary when you are a Top 10 player. So you have to blame the players for their decisions, not the calendar.
Exactly.

I'm not saying the calendar is perfect because it's not, there are several things that could and should be improved, but I don't really think that the season is too long.
Matt01 is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Perseust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Out There
Posts: 14,887
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by strastib View Post
Why does Jankovic lost 4/6 4/6 against Vaidisova ?
Why does Ivanovic lost 3/6 1/6 against Golovin ?
Why does Chakvetadze lost 3 match in a row ?
Why do Petrova and Sharapova are injured ?

BECAUSE The calendar is tooo long, players are exhausted ...
YOU KNOW BITCH...
THERE ISNT ONE PLAYER OUT THERE WHO DOESNT GET INJURED.
LIKE JANKOVIC
hahaha!!!

theses are professional players.
ask them to stop playing for 3 weeks..
and they would become psychotic!!
they live for the sport...
theyre sports addict.!!

and theyre only required to play 17 tournaments
thats only
6*2=12+11=23+3=26
so thats 26 weeks of required tennis
in a span of 11 months!!!
Perseust is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Senior Member
 
mboyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,514
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by strastib View Post
Why does Jankovic lost 4/6 4/6 against Vaidisova ?
Why does Ivanovic lost 3/6 1/6 against Golovin ?
Why does Chakvetadze lost 3 match in a row ?
Why do Petrova and Sharapova are injured ?

BECAUSE The calendar is tooo long, players are exhausted ...
Vaidisova has a winning head to head against Jankovic. Even this year, when Nicole has played, she has done as well as Jankovic in points per tournament.

Golovin is the only player to take a set off Justine since this summer. Ivanovic lost last week to Bondarenko. Exhaustion is hardly an excuse for Ivanovic, who schedules her tournaments intelligently.

Really the culprit here is not the length of the season, but rather the ranking system. If we had the divisor ranking back, Vaidisova defeating Jankovic would not seem shocking at all. Golovin over Ivanovic wouldn't be as much of a shock as it seems now.

Romney/Ryan 2012
mboyle is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Ballbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 40,331
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

Masha is not injured because of the # of tournaments she played this season she had that damn injury all season

Rest in Peace Bally!
Ballbasher is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Svetlana.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,047
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

Nothing wrong with the calendar... and players cannot get it all. Girls need to prioritize and be more reasonable when they commit to play certain events.
Svetlana. is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
DutchieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: my own Dutchie world
Posts: 152,959
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

Quote:
Originally Posted by strastib View Post
Why does Jankovic lost 4/6 4/6 against Vaidisova ?
Why does Ivanovic lost 3/6 1/6 against Golovin ?
Why does Chakvetadze lost 3 match in a row ?
Why do Petrova and Sharapova are injured ?

BECAUSE The calendar is tooo long, players are exhausted ...
Get back to us when you actually have plausible reason to prove the calendar is too long.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...10/sheadam.jpg

She & Him @ Melkweg "The Max", Amsterdam 6th May 2010
DutchieGirl is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
LUXXXAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: ?!?
Posts: 14,889
                     
Re: Once again, shame on the calendar !

players are just stupid! they are playing too much.
Look at Justine - she's No. 1 with 14 tournament played! She's healthy! And she plays more matches in a single tournament than other players because she's winning almost everything so she's exhausted too.
Calendar is good for her

Fan of Lindsay Davenport

FOREVER
LUXXXAS is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome