Hingis refuses to rule out US Open appearance
July 15 2002 at 02:05PM
Geneva - Former world number one Martina Hingis says she could still play in next month's US Open despite the WTA confirming she will miss Monday's entry deadline.
The WTA said on Friday that representatives of Hingis had confirmed the Swiss world number four would not be submitting an application to play in the final Grand Slam of the year by the July 15 deadline.
Hingis, the 1997 US Open winner, is recovering from a troublesome left ankle injury but said she could play at Flushing Meadows thanks to an invitation if she is declared fit for the tournament, which starts on August 26.
"I've chosen to leave things alone because I don't want to set a fixed date for my return to competitive tennis," Hingis said.
"But the possibility that I can play in Flushing Meadows is realistic enough. I still have over five weeks for preparation and surely there is a possibility I can play in New York."
Hingis' injury has kept her out of the French Open and Wimbledon and she has also pulled out of a number of tournaments in the lead-up to the US Open.
But Hingis added: "The recovery of my ankle injury is going satisfactorily and I can more or less play tennis twice a day."
Hingis has won five Grand Slam titles and reached the final of the Australian Open earlier this year, but lost to defending champion Jennifer Capriati.