Bali is basically a meaningless tournament - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 350
                     
Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

I think it should be remembered that when disscussing Davenport's comeback win over Jankovic. This a Tier 3 event the week after the US Open, its very anti-climactic and the WTA could just as well have a week off this week instead. Big name players like Davenport, Hantuchova, Jankovic, Schnyder are playing Bali for appearance money, not for points or prize $$. So it doesn't need to be blown out of proportion that Davenport made this "shocking" defeat of Jankovic. Anyway Jankovic plays 30 tournaments in a year, this counts nothing at all for her, it was like an exhibition. Even if she won the event, it still wouldn't go into her Best 17 total
gaggleguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Member
 
LindsayRulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 15,351
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

:frustration?:
LindsayRulz is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Senior Member
 
venus_rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,343
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

Granted, we need to have some perspective about Davenport's comeback at this point because there's zero pressure on her right now so that racquet can swing freely at the moment, But this 31 year old just had a baby and defeated the world's number 3. Lots of praise is in order.

RIDE OR DIE! Down for Venus Williams



[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline  
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Bruno71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 474m N of Rancho Santa Fe
Posts: 10,894
 
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaggleguy View Post
I think it should be remembered that when disscussing Davenport's comeback win over Jankovic. This a Tier 3 event the week after the US Open, its very anti-climactic and the WTA could just as well have a week off this week instead. Big name players like Davenport, Hantuchova, Jankovic, Schnyder are playing Bali for appearance money, not for points or prize $$. So it doesn't need to be blown out of proportion that Davenport made this "shocking" defeat of Jankovic. Anyway Jankovic plays 30 tournaments in a year, this counts nothing at all for her, it was like an exhibition. Even if she won the event, it still wouldn't go into her Best 17 total
A win would've gone into JJ's best 17, albeit barely.

The point is that Lindsay's shown she can step back after long periods off and still play competitive, high-level tennis, and this isn't the first time she's done that either. She smoked a top 50 player in Daniilidou and then went on to beat world #3. It doesn't matter where it happens, when these women step on court they're not going to just hand anybody a win, and I don't think any of Lindsay's opponents did that. She shown she's still got it, and it's a huge step on her way back to the top 10 and beyond.

Goodbye WTA and Jelena. It was nice being your fan once.
Bruno71 is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 350
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno71 View Post
A win would've gone into JJ's best 17, albeit barely.

The point is that Lindsay's shown she can step back after long periods off and still play competitive, high-level tennis, and this isn't the first time she's done that either. She smoked a top 50 player in Daniilidou and then went on to beat world #3. It doesn't matter where it happens, when these women step on court they're not going to just hand anybody a win, and I don't think any of Lindsay's opponents did that. She shown she's still got it, and it's a huge step on her way back to the top 10 and beyond.


for me, Davenport's win over Danilidou is more impressive than the one over Jankovic, becuase Danilidou actually had something at stake
gaggleguy is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:47 PM
country flag LCS
Senior Member
 
LCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,671
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

Haters...

Tennis Tipping
Singles
W: (12) Australian Open (11) 50K Monzon, Toronto F: (12) Montreal (09) 25K Redding, Bali YEC (08) Memphis, Stanford, 100K Krakow SF: (13) Toronto (12) Estoril Open (09) Roland Garros, Stanford (08) Auckland, Rome, Eastbourne, New Haven
Doubles W: (11) Hobart (09) 25K Redding (08) Doha, Istanbul (07) Estoril Open F: (12) Pattaya, Roland Garros, Stanford (11) Guangzhou(08) Memphis, Wimbledon, New Haven (07) Bali SF: (11) Trnava (10) Stuttgart (08) Budapest (07)Birmingham, US Open QF: (12) Australian Open (11) Roland Garros
LCS is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 305
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

Oh please Davenport is better than Jankovic. Period.
champGS1452 is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Senior Member
 
hurricanejeanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 10,350
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus_rulez View Post
Granted, we need to have some perspective about Davenport's comeback at this point because there's zero pressure on her right now so that racquet can swing freely at the moment, But this 31 year old just had a baby and defeated the world's number 3. Lots of praise is in order.
That pretty much covers it.

victoria mamarenka
lindsay mamaport
madison keys l johanna konta l free maria sharapova l saint karolina pliskova l ana "legit fetus" konjuh l naomi osaka l oceane dodin
hurricanejeanne is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,098
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

oh what a sad person you are, maybe when you acheive what JJ or LD have then you can dimish what either did. Until then, shut it




















selking is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:01 AM
*
 
The Daviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22,814
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

It's a tier III, and it had a better field than most Tier IIIs, Lindsay won today, and had this event been a Tier I/II, she probably would have still won, stop demeaning their achievements, both women tried their best to win and Lindsay came out on top. End.

Ivanovic * Kvitova * Serena
The Daviator is offline  
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,331
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

It is meaningful otherwise we wont be talking about it.Lindsay has given it spotlight by being there,obviously all the players there feel its meaningful otherwise they wont have to fly half across the world to an earthquake prone locale.Jelena lost to an accoumplished player,lets move on.
frontier is offline  
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Sally Struthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: UnattractiveOn the inside
Posts: 10,984
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

I've come to consider all non-slam tournaments to be basically meaningless.
Sally Struthers is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Senior Member
 
sammy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 25,413
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

i think these kind of results are meaningful! just imagine if davenport draws jj at the oz open next year she will go into thinking i beat her in my first tournament back, im fitter now i can win this! a win is a win and its always good to step on court knowing you can beat your oposition!

Anna Chakvetadze Rules

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate
sammy01 is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Senior Member
 
QUEENLINDSAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 6,496
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

so that means Pan Facific in tokyo ( After AO) Eastbourne( After RG) and not sure what tournament is after wimbledon.

are all worthless??

Maybe, you are not worthy to be even a fan of tennis.

QUEEN LINDSAY DAVENPORT

Monica,Kim,Jelena
QUEENLINDSAY is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Sally Struthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: UnattractiveOn the inside
Posts: 10,984
                     
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENLINDSAY View Post
so that means Pan Facific in tokyo ( After AO) Eastbourne( After RG) and not sure what tournament is after wimbledon.

are all worthless??

Maybe, you are not worthy to be even a fan of tennis.
In the grand scheme of things, I think yes, as far as tennis history goes. No one remembers what you won other than the slams.
Sally Struthers is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome