Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008? - TennisForum.com
View Poll Results: Will she pass Serena?
Yes, Justine will have more slams than Serena by the end of 2008. 56 43.41%
No, Justine will not have more slams than Serena by the end of 2008. 49 37.98%
Justine and Serena will have the same number of slams at the end of 2008. 24 18.60%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Demosthenes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Dark Tower
Posts: 43,844
                     
Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

Will she? Barring injuries, she should play the Australian Open, where she has always done well. She's basically a lock for the French. I think she's the second best grass-courter, so if Venus loses early she could win Wimbledon. And she's obviously comfortable in New York.

I think she'll have 9 slams at the end of 2008 while Serena will still have 8.

Discuss.

formerly iPatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikapower View Post
And to think that Génie is 0-4 against this Kvitova player. Sometimes tennis is just not logical at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Aga finish her career ahead of Vika and Petra as well.
Demosthenes is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 17
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

for sure.
JuJupova is offline  
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Member
 
Serena_thebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 96
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

I don't think Serena will allow her to, but maybe... who knows
Serena_thebest is offline  
post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
austennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,359
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

i think she is guranteed to win at least one by this time next year where as Serena is long shot

Venus Williams
Sammy Stosur
Ana Ivanovic
Kimmy Clijsters
Martina Hingis
Jarmila Groth
Sharapova Dokic Wozniacki Delaqua Molik Kirilenko Dementieva Na Dani Kvitova
austennis is offline  
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Demosthenes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Dark Tower
Posts: 43,844
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austennis View Post
i think she is guranteed to win at least one by this time next year where as Serena is long shot
Good point. Serena could very well win one next year, but she could also very well lose in all of them. She's definitely not the slam-winning machine she once was.

formerly iPatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikapower View Post
And to think that Génie is 0-4 against this Kvitova player. Sometimes tennis is just not logical at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Aga finish her career ahead of Vika and Petra as well.
Demosthenes is online now  
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Tennisaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,999
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

Tough to say. Things can change so soon in tennis. I think she will tonight and definitely at RG 2008 barring injury, but Serena could very well win a slam as well next year. I don't think Justine will pass Serena but will match her slam count.
Tennisaddict is offline  
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Serval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bring back VBetting!
Posts: 653
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

I think they'll have the same number (9).
Serval is offline  
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
lizchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 20,943
                     
Exclamation Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

No.

Serena is a threat at every Grand Slam; Justine is only a threat at the French Open and the US Open.

Good Luck In 2012 To The Following:
Venus Williams
Serena Williams
Vania King, Sloane Stephens
Michael Joseph Jackson|1958-2009|RIP King of Music

Whitney Elizabeth Houston|1963-2012|RIP Queen of Music
lizchris is offline  
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
David55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 103
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizchris View Post
No.

Serena is a threat at every Grand Slam; Justine is only a threat at the French Open and the US Open.
Both Serena and Justine are threats at all the slams. I don't know how you can say Justine is not a threat at the AO and Wimbledon? The last 3 times she's played AO it was SF, W, F. And Wimbledon she's making the finals and SF's. How is that not "a threat"?

Tracy Austin: America's Golden Girl
David55 is offline  
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,497
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

Deja Vu. People were saying this last year. As it is, Justine will have spent most of the year at number one, had the best season of her career, and still end up one slam short of Serena's count.

Who on earth said Serena is a long shot win a slam next year? She has a great shot at all four, Henin of course is the clear favourite for the French, far away as it is, and Serena and Venus are always warm favourites at Wimbledon

Anything can happen, and I believe it will. Last year people were saying that Serena is done, she can't dominate the top girls anymore. Well after a pretty solid year we've already had to ammend that to she can't beat Justine anymore, what excuse will we have next year. Oh yes, none. I predict Serena will have a great year and win a couple of slams, beating Justine in one perhaps if they meet in the draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,497
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty. View Post
Good point. Serena could very well win one next year, but she could also very well lose in all of them. She's definitely not the slam-winning machine she once was.
Well she has the desire back for the first time since 2003. It all depends on whether she can be bothered to get in shape again, if she does, then I don't see why she can't rack up more slams. Although if the sisters don't get back up there, then there really is no-one to oppose Justine, what with Amelie seemingly done, Kim retired and Maria not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 21,865
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

Everytime someone gets on a great roll, we expect them to go out and win 3 majors the next year... And for some reason, people think the slams are only going to be fought over by a few players (it seems to be three).

Jankovic, Ivanovic, Sharapova, and Vaidisova will be hungrier than ever to get a major in 2008.

Justine has played tremendous tennis all year long and came out of it with one major (2006). The same could go for this year if Kuznetsova wins today. It's not impossible. She hasn't even won her seventh, and people are already looking toward her ninth and tenth. Silly.
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 826
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

She has fair opportunity to do.

AMBITION VS LIFE
freeandlonely is offline  
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,497
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15 View Post
Everytime someone gets on a great roll, we expect them to go out and win 3 majors the next year... And for some reason, people think the slams are only going to be fought over by a few players (it seems to be three).

Jankovic, Ivanovic, Sharapova, and Vaidisova will be hungrier than ever to get a major in 2008.

Justine has played tremendous tennis all year long and came out of it with one major (2006). The same could go for this year if Kuznetsova wins today. It's not impossible. She hasn't even won her seventh, and people are already looking toward her ninth and tenth. Silly.
I totally agree, at the beginning of the year a lot of people were predicting Serena winning two or three more slams THIS year and getting to double figures. As it is, she is stuck on 8. We do tend to get ahead of ourselves, me inlcuded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 826
                     
Re: Justine To Pass Serena In Slam Count By The End Of 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizchris View Post
No.

Serena is a threat at every Grand Slam; Justine is only a threat at the French Open and the US Open.
Justine is a threat at all Slams.
And I think she did well at AO even then USO.

AMBITION VS LIFE
freeandlonely is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome