Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments?? - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 40,129
                     
Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

After watching both Venus-JJ and Serena-Henin, you would have thought good Richard would have made an adjustment to Venus's game before this match.
Nothing I saw today suggests he did

1. The forehand was still wobbly
2. The footwork still lacking, especially when the ball is hit directly at Venus
3. Serve still poor (under 50% first serve)
4. Venus seems lost in the middle of the court, as she was against JJ.

Last edited by tennislover22; Sep 7th, 2007 at 10:48 PM.
tennislover22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Senior Member
 
kiwifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,740
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Well the same guy has Serena serving awesome and with variety and a great second serve...

...her awful forehand is good enough to beat almost every player on the tour, correction good enough to beat EVERY player on the tour...

...no one her height has ever had better footwork than Venus Williams...

...so you gotta put the blame on the student, not the teacher here.

Venus is just fine, she just lost a tennis match.

Thankfully she'll be playing many many more.
kiwifan is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 559
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Venus served at 59%. That's not great, but it's not awful, and it's the same percentage Justine served...

Riding the 3AM Rollercoaster!! Players I support, no matter what
Anastasia Myskina, Kim Clijsters, Alicia Molik, Elena Dementieva, Svetlana Kuznetsova, Tatiana Golovin, Ai Sugiyama
Juan Carlos Ferrero, Lleyton Hewitt, Tommy Robredo, Rafael Nadal, Gaston Gaudio, Nikolay Davydenko, Richard Gasquet, Jarkko Nieminen, Mario Ancic, Mikhail Youznhy, Novak Djokovic, Marin Cilic, Andy Murray, Evgeny Korolev, Paul-Henri Mathieu, Dmitry Tursunov, Stanislas Wawrinka
Rexman is offline  
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 40,129
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan View Post
Well the same guy has Serena serving awesome and with variety and a great second serve...

...her awful forehand is good enough to beat almost every player on the tour, correction good enough to beat EVERY player on the tour...
That may be true, however to win the championship, you have to beat
the top palyers, and at least one of them is not impressed with that forehand.



Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan View Post
Venus is just fine, she just lost a tennis match.

Thankfully she'll be playing many many more.
Venus lost a tennis match she was not ready to win.

Last edited by tennislover22; Sep 7th, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
tennislover22 is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 27,711
 
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Where was this thread after she won Wimbledon?

Infiniti2001 is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Bijoux0021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,997
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001 View Post
Where was this thread after she won Wimbledon?
How soon they forget.

*Venus*Serena*Kuznetsova*Schiavone*Taylor*Bartoli* *A.Bondarenko*Zheng*Duval*Safarova*Kirilenko*

*Federer*Nadal*Djokovic*Tsonga*Murray*Monfils*Gulb is*Young*Wawrinka*Mirnyi*

“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”

― Maya Angelou
Bijoux0021 is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,486
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Well Venus and Serena won slams this year with the help of Richard Williams. That's good enough for me.
DimaDinosaur is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 40,129
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001 View Post
Where was this thread after she won Wimbledon?
She played well in Wimby. Hence this thread was not necessary.

I am talking about making adjutment based on 2 matches here:
  • Serena-Henin - and what Henin tendencies were there
  • Venus-Jankovic - and what was not working for Venus
There was one day to work on the forehand, footwork and the serve.
Of course it was too late to work on the fitness.
tennislover22 is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
pigam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: belgium
Posts: 7,396
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

pff wow you're hard on especially Venus.
If you can't see that Justine played a tactically totally different game than JJ against venus, than you're blind.
Justine also played Venus totally diferently than she played Serena.
I don't think venus played a poor tactcial match, at all.
She just got beat on maybe 4-5 important points. That's what a tennis match s about; If she plays this well, she could just aswell beat Justine the next time thy play.

J u s t i n e x p l i c a b l e


Justine: feb. 5, 2007:

"I hung on to tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years. It is something that is in me, it is me."
pigam is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 40,129
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigam View Post
pff wow you're hard on especially Venus.
If you can't see that Justine played a tactically totally different game than JJ against venus, than you're blind.
Justine also played Venus totally diferently than she played Serena.
I don't think venus played a poor tactcial match, at all.
She just got beat on maybe 4-5 important points. That's what a tennis match s about; If she plays this well, she could just aswell beat Justine the next time thy play.
My beef here is with the coach, not the player.

Justine picked on the forehand just as JJ did
Justine ketp the ball in play(baiting Venus to make mistakes), just as JJ did
The first servce percentage was poor, just as in Venus-JJ

It is the coach;s job to figure this out and devise a game plan.
I saw no evidence of it today.
Adn I do not think Venus is that bad a student.

That is my point.
tennislover22 is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
pigam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: belgium
Posts: 7,396
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
My beef here is with the coach, not the player.

Justine picked on the forehand just as JJ did
Justine ketp the ball in play(baiting Venus to make mistakes), just as JJ did
The first servce percentage was poor, just as in Venus-JJ

It is the coach;s job to figure this out and devise a game plan.
I saw no evidence of it today.
Adn I do not think Venus is that bad a student.

That is my point.
well, you should watch the match again, i think.
Also, what do you blame richard? "venus they will play in your FH, so don't make nay forehand errors" "venus, they will play long rallies, so don't get tired" "venus, they will play in the middel of the court, so you will have to get very third ball back very hard and very deep".

that's insane; strategy doesn't work that way. Venus can't just "not make any more errors" or "be 50% fitter" or whatever.

No, she looked for a strategy to take away Justine's arms.

she charged the net, and played well inside the court. She got passed at crucial times, or Ju would be a little fitter.

is it poor tactics? I don't think so.

So every match (every of ehr 7!!) Justine lost against venus is also because of her coach who wouldn't figure out what to do? Please, if the other player takes away your weapons, and you can't prevent that, you will loose, even if you KNOW what to do.

J u s t i n e x p l i c a b l e


Justine: feb. 5, 2007:

"I hung on to tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years. It is something that is in me, it is me."
pigam is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 27,711
 
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79 View Post
My beef here is with the coach, not the player.

Justine picked on the forehand just as JJ did
Justine ketp the ball in play(baiting Venus to make mistakes), just as JJ did
The first servce percentage was poor, just as in Venus-JJ

It is the coach;s job to figure this out and devise a game plan.
I saw no evidence of it today.
Adn I do not think Venus is that bad a student.

That is my point.

Guess what? Venus will win some and lose some so you need to get over it

Infiniti2001 is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 40,129
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigam View Post
well, you should watch the match again, i think.
Also, what do you blame richard? "venus they will play in your FH, so don't make nay forehand errors" "venus, they will play long rallies, so don't get tired" "venus, they will play in the middel of the court, so you will have to get very third ball back very hard and very deep".

that's insane; strategy doesn't work that way. Venus can't just "not make any more errors" or "be 50% fitter" or whatever.

No, she looked for a strategy to take away Justine's arms.

she charged the net, and played well inside the court. She got passed at crucial times, or Ju would be a little fitter.

is it poor tactics? I don't think so.

So every match (every of ehr 7!!) Justine lost against venus is also because of her coach who wouldn't figure out what to do? Please, if the other player takes away your weapons, and you can't prevent that, you will loose, even if you KNOW what to do.
I agree, those are silly tactics and that is not what I am suggesting.
I believe one can work on the forehand for one match.
Footwork can also worked for one match.
I already said fitness adjustmentm for obvious reason, was not part of the quick adjustment.
tennislover22 is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Senior Member
 
DOUBLEFIST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LA
Posts: 10,526
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

TB79,

I think you're wrong. While Venus did struggle with her first serve, you have to give Juju credit for the pressure put on it. She stood several feet beyond the baseline and simply put the ball back in play, making Venus PLAY.

As for Vee's forehand. Yeah, it broke down from time to time, but not THAT badly. The story here was not her forehand.

As for her foot work, a player like Henin, who mixes it up and keeps you guessing and has EXCELLENT passes is going to make you look a little awkward from time to time.

For me, this match simply gets down to Juju, though I HATE to admit it, being MENTALLY tougher than Vee! PERIOD! There was no real reason for Vee to let Henin off the hook in the seventh game or to lose her serve in the final game. No reason. She broke down MENTALLY- she got tight. If she hadn't, think all of us would still be watching them play right now.

JA ME KA IS THE GOAT!!!
22!!!!The Debate is OVER, Suckas!!
Queen Vee , Keys!, Steffi , Maria,Pre-Carlos Na A-Rad
DOUBLEFIST is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Senior Member
 
DemWilliamsGulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 4,840
                     
Re: Coach Richard Williams: Why Can't He Make Adjustments??

Well you can just about guarantee that Justine is Venus and Serena's new target since they both lost to her...that should be some incentive for them to get back in top notch form like they use to. Then again both of em still make more money than Henin, still more popular and still the favorite over her to..so...I dont know...honestly I would like to see them back in their unstoppable form. But they are still winning grand slams in the current form their in...so its going to depend on them.

Venus and Serena ....Often imitated NEVER duplicated!!!!!!!
DemWilliamsGulls is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome