What is a beat down? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
supergrunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,589
                     
What is a beat down?

What do you consider not to be a whooping? I think that if a player wins seven or eight games, then it is respectable.
supergrunt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
lympyisthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 10,565
                     
Re: What,,,

I think winning 6 games is respectable.
lympyisthebest is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 27,509
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

0-10 H2H to a pair of sisters?

Dementia
Serena X Venus
Holy "TF FAVOURITES" Trio- Guestoria X Q.V. Aga X KAMAN Karolina
FormalEducation is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 08:05 AM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 25,933
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

Beat down?
Definition: Australian Open 2007 Final.
In The Zone is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Senior Member
 
disco_rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: England
Posts: 3,271
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

Hard to say i mean there is the obvious ones.. 6-0 6-0, 6-1 6-1 etc
BUT sometimes a score like 6-2 6-2 can look like a beatdown but the match could have been a lot closer than the scoreline shows.

Maybe it's more about time, lol, less than say 50 minutes is a beatdown?

Twitter: @disco_rage1

Last edited by disco_rage; Aug 14th, 2007 at 09:07 AM.
disco_rage is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM
The Comeback Begins - January 2010.
 
ZeroSOFInfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,481
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

Definition of "Beat Down" in WTA = BRIE WHITEHEAD

Your sig picture exceeds the 200 pixel height limit.

Australian Open 2010 Final Result:-
Lost to Serena Williams 4-6, 6-3, 2-6 (Great job, girl! Now prepare for FO!)
ZeroSOFInfinity is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
mankind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Goodbye, Moscow.
Posts: 2,808
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

It's circumstantial. If a top top player loses 4 and 3 to a player similarly ranked to them, that's a beatdown, particularly if they're trying to prove themselves who is the better player.

Needless to say all the GS finals this year have been beatdowns
mankind is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 58
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

Scorlines tell us nothing. You have to actually watch the match to call it anything.
unkowilly is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Worshipping the bangs
 
miffedmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Larsson's Player Forum
Posts: 52,044
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

It's simple. Any win by my favorite player is a beatdown. Any loss by my favorite is a good effort, unlucky, a fluke or she was robbed.

Max
Pass the duct tape and super glue. Lena's done broke my heart one last time.
Onward my LOB! Lena (ret.) Vika Vee TOB Caro Alexa Sabs Wicky Lesia Vania BMS Ekat Andi H. Jo-La Lena V KP2 Lil Bit Kiki Mini Mak Baby Veronika
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.[/SIZE]
Jo-La Queen of Norrland and Bastad
Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,683
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

The scoreline is irrelevant to a nice juicy beat down.

You know you've seen a good "beat down" when the defeated player storms off in a real huff, right after the end of the match.

(aka Nicky Vaidisova v Ivanovic at Wimbledon)
Wayn77 is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 131
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dersu Uzala View Post
The scoreline is irrelevant to a nice juicy beat down.

You know you've seen a good "beat down" when the defeated player storms off in a real huff, right after the end of the match.

(aka Nicky Vaidisova v Ivanovic at Wimbledon)
It's a low class "street" or prison lingo way to refer to particular player beating another very badly in a tennis match!
Realtennis is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
DownTheLine21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,549
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkowilly View Post
Scorlines tell us nothing. You have to actually watch the match to call it anything.
True. Scores can often be deceiving. For example, a player may lose a set 6-2, but also may have pushed every game to deuce. This is hardly a "beat down."
DownTheLine21 is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,233
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

Scorelines aren't always the best indicator of a beatdown.

Depending on who's serving first, a single break can be either a 63 set or a 6 4 set.

Take the A0 07 final, and the Wimbldeon match between Venus and Maria. The AO 07 final had the more lopsided scoreline. But there an equal number of breaks in each match (4) for the winner, while never losing serve.

However, in the Wimbledon match, on the games Maria did hold, she had to fight off over a dozen break points. And Venus NEVER faced a breakpoint. In fact, she lost nine points on serve, two being double faults.

I'd argue that the Wimbledon match was more of a beatdown than the AO final.
Donny is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,224
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnydarko View Post
Scorelines aren't always the best indicator of a beatdown.

Depending on who's serving first, a single break can be either a 63 set or a 6 4 set.

Take the A0 07 final, and the Wimbldeon match between Venus and Maria. The AO 07 final had the more lopsided scoreline. But there an equal number of breaks in each match (4) for the winner, while never losing serve.

However, in the Wimbledon match, on the games Maria did hold, she had to fight off over a dozen break points. And Venus NEVER faced a breakpoint. In fact, she lost nine points on serve, two being double faults.

I'd argue that the Wimbledon match was more of a beatdown than the AO final.
I'll give you that... lol but Im sure Maria felt the AO final was more of a beatdown... with the look in Serena's eye, AND the fact that she looked like she was about to pee in her pants....

I agree with the earlier poster. if a top player plays someone ranked low and the scoreline is 6-2, 6-2 thats not a beat down. but if they play a top player and do that then it is.....

There have been rare beat downs of the top players... I can only remember (Venus beatdown of Sharapova)....(Serena beatdown of Sharapova)....(Davenport beatdown of Sharapova 6-0,6-0).......
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,497
                     
Re: What is a beat down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnydarko View Post
Scorelines aren't always the best indicator of a beatdown.

Depending on who's serving first, a single break can be either a 63 set or a 6 4 set.

Take the A0 07 final, and the Wimbldeon match between Venus and Maria. The AO 07 final had the more lopsided scoreline. But there an equal number of breaks in each match (4) for the winner, while never losing serve.

However, in the Wimbledon match, on the games Maria did hold, she had to fight off over a dozen break points. And Venus NEVER faced a breakpoint. In fact, she lost nine points on serve, two being double faults.

I'd argue that the Wimbledon match was more of a beatdown than the AO final.
But then on your argument, you're still going by stats rather than actually watching the match.

The AO 07 was the biggest beatdown I've seen purely because of the way Serena was playing, it was a bigger beatdown than the 61 61 vicotry imo. Some of the shots Serena made to go up 5-0, I've never seen anything like them, and when she got a break point, she took it, no questions asked, she just hit winners at will. It was frightening. Venus pounded Maria and beat her down, but a beat down is more than about the tennis, it's about mental attitudes and the look in someone's eye, Serena was out to destroy Maria that day you could see it in her eyes, she didn't miss and she crushed Maria both mentally and physically in an hour winning nearly twice as many points. The way Maria praised Serena at the trophy presentation saying, she knew she could win it etc. It's the highest praise I've seen Maria give to another player after a "big" loss. Exemplification of a true mental humbling. She got over it I think though, she went into their Miami match thinking she could win, that's the fighter she is, but for a few hours (possibly days) after that AO Final Maria was broken.

Whereas after Venus' match, while she had been humiliated again, I just didn't get that same feeling that her spirit was broken, afterall she did save a lot of break points and fought very well, even if she was taken apart in the end.

There was just something implied in the subtext of that AO Final match that I've never seen before and I don't think I'll ever see again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome