Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 183
                     
Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

I think she's entertaining; and a refreshing breath of fresh air in the womens game... And I would suggest that any neutral who wasn't moved by her win this evening either doesn't really like tennis, or doesn't have a heart...
MK hamster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Serena's #1 Hater
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 19,717
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

Why are some people so keen on knocking Marion? WHY NOT?

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Legend97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,032
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

I think its because she is plump. Or, at least plumper than the average player.

Melanie Oudin Fan est. July '09
------------------------------------------------------------
Steffi Fan est. 1997 GOAT
------------------------------------------------------------
Hingis Fan est. 1996 LEGEND
------------------------------------------------------------
Masha Fan est. 2009 WTA $ QUEEN
------------------------------------------------------------
Legend97 is offline  
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 183
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

So, shouldn't that be a good thing...? Daniela gets hounded by the gutter press year after year for supposedly being 'too skinny'... Now Marion gets mocked for being 'too plump'...?
What kind of message does this give out to young girls...?
MK hamster is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
canoe.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 912
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK hamster View Post
What kind of message does this give out to young girls...?
Young girls aren't watching Wimbledon anyway. I see your point, but everyone has their critics.

Go Marion.
canoe. is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,011
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

Because these people are jealous and like to make fun of Marion because she is apparently 'fat' and are just trying to fit in with other members here. Sadly they don't realise that hardly anyone finds it funny anymore.
Dave. is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
lindsayno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 5,227
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

because people would rather see a justine v venus final rather than marion v venus basically...

LINDSAY DAVENPORT!
Say what you like about Davenport, but shes achieved what most others could only dream of!

Jelena Jankovic
Mary Pierce MARTINA HINGIS! Kim Clijsters Ana Ivanovic
lindsayno1 is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 183
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoe. View Post
Young girls aren't watching Wimbledon anyway. I see your point, but everyone has their critics.

Go Marion.
Maybe not; but I'm not just talking about Wimbledon... It just seems to sum up the general attitude that's all too pervasive these days...
MK hamster is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 183
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayno1 View Post
because people would rather see a justine v venus final rather than marion v venus basically...
If you want to be the best, than you've got to beat the best as they say...
MK hamster is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 183
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_6789 View Post
Because these people are jealous and like to make fun of Marion because she is apparently 'fat' and are just trying to fit in with other members here. Sadly they don't realise that hardly anyone finds it funny anymore.
So some people actually found it funny in the first place...?
MK hamster is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM
She came to play.......
 
sharapovarulz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 7,518
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

I think Marion being in the final and the way she played agaist Justine today is fantastic, for someone to rise to the occasion like that is just wow and is a real boost for womans tennis. There is nothing wrong with her weight she looks far more healthier in herself than some players.

Stosur/Pironkova/Robson/Govortsova/Kuznetsova/Safina/GB Girls
U.Radwanska/K.Bondarenko/A.Bondarenko/Azarenka/Mauresmo/A.Radwanska

Official Right Midfielder Of The Sveta Football Team
sharapovarulz1 is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,011
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK hamster View Post
So some people actually found it funny in the first place...?
I presume so as some people wouldn't (and still can't) stop going on about it.
Dave. is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Donatello's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 361
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

maybe because everything she does looks so awkward

© ®
Donatello is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,810
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
Why are some people so keen on knocking Marion? WHY NOT?
precisely.
woosey is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 183
                     
Re: Why are SOME people so keen on knocking Marion...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello View Post
maybe because everything she does looks so awkward
This is what I don't understand... Surely, all the things about her that are different from the other top professionals should make her MORE popular, not less... Do people really want to see emotionless, robotic, spoilt teenage girls battling it out in years to come...?
MK hamster is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome