It will certainly make some writers and reporters think twice about slander and libel.
Constantly raising "match-fixing" speculation without presenting a shred of evidence other than your own feelings is slanderous. The origin of the match-fixing allegations, like most other negative rumors, is sour grapes and envy from players they beat. Rather than pick up on that,t he media has taken the concept and run with it raising the issue at every tournament and in some cases after a couple of points in a match (see Mary Carillo 2001 US Open final).
Check out the evidence to support fixed-matches:
1. Lindsay Davenport once joked that Richard probably decides who wins.
2) Elena Dementieva once said after a loss to Venus that Richard would determine who won the next round between Venus and Serena.
3) Mary Carillo astutely noticed after a change in the momentum of V & S finals match at last years US Open that it was suspicious and supported claims of match fixing, This is the most compelling evidence yet since we all know that momentum changes are very rare in women's matches.
4) Reporters noticed that Venus and Serena played differently against each other than they do against other players. Apparently they didn't show the same "killer instinct." This is also compelling evidence for match-fixing because there is no way their play could be due to the stress of playing their sibling.
5) A highly esteemed publication called "The Enquirer" ran a story where a supposed associate claimed the Sisters matches were fixed. Once again, everyone knows that the Enquirer is a beacon of journalistic integrity intent on seeking the truth over sensationalism...NOT!
There is plenty of evidence and COMMON SENSE to suggest their matches were never fixed.
1)At one point Venus held a 5-1 edge over Serena. What would be the point in pre--determining such a lopsided outcome? More importantly, could you ever picture a fierce competitior like Serena agreeing to lose that many times to Venus?
2) Venus suffered a devastating loss to Hingis at the 1999 US Open semis. This was arguably the lowest point in her career in terms of her esteem. How did little sis cheer her up? Serena beat Venus in their next matchup at the Grand Slam cup. Hmmm why didn't Serena "let" Venus win this one?
3) When you look at how they fight in their matches and constantly claw their way out of deficits to win, it would be totally out of character for either player to purposely lose. Why ignore the obvious fact that both these players hate to lose to come up with a theory that is not supported by their actions or attitude on the court?
4)Venus is 22 years old. Serena is 20. They both no longer live with their parents and frequently travel without them. Where does this notion come from that Richard is pulling the strings on his adult daughters lives? Richard once said Venus was going to retire when she was out six-months with injury. Venus subsequently returned to the tour with a vengence and made a liar out of Daddy. Do people not realize Venus and Serena are ADULTS. How many 22 year-olds do you know would purposely lose a match --not to mention their pride and dignity-- because Daddy told them?
In order to conspire to fix a match you have to be certain that the match will actually take place. Did Richard pay off the rest of the tour to lose to Venus and Serena so they could constantly be in a position to play each other in predetermined matches? Why don't reporters get to the bottom of this potentially huge scandal?
IMO, it's time Venus and Serena stop taking the high road and take some action in a courtroom. The criticism they take- which far exceds the criticism leveled at players who behave worse-- has seemed to make them wary of lashing out. A lawsuit would at least serve notice to others that they will no longer stand by and be slandered so viciously.