I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever! - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,113
                     
I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

As a Justine fan and fan of women's tennis in general I love how she has tirelessly defended Justine against the unfair bias in the US Press. Today she laid it out there and said that Justine made a mistake in 2003 against Serena but that, other than that, she has seen nothing wrong. She also said Serena needed to be more gracious in her comments after her loss to Justine. She pointed out that women's tennis matches were not a question of being low quality but the fact that Ivanovic and Justine just played too well.

She really takes her time to explain the game from every angle. She is just so knowledgeable and also had the nerve to really take the US men to task for their lack of preparation for the clay courts.

Bravo Martina for your knowledge, your career, your objectivity and your passion for the game.
treufreund is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Bruno71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 474m N of Rancho Santa Fe
Posts: 10,894
 
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

Seconded. She always states her opinion and usually it's right. Though I just don't see the Ivanovic/Sharapova match as anything other than low quality...at least from Maria's standpoint.
Bruno71 is offline  
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 103,613
                     
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

The best thing for Justine would have been if Sharapova made the final. Then Justine would have won easily, and it would have made headlines.
If she beats Ivanovic, no headlines in the US.

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
 
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mayfield
Posts: 17,052
 
Thumbs up Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treufreund View Post
As a Justine fan and fan of women's tennis in general I love how she has tirelessly defended Justine against the unfair bias in the US Press. Today she laid it out there and said that Justine made a mistake in 2003 against Serena but that, other than that, she has seen nothing wrong. She also said Serena needed to be more gracious in her comments after her loss to Justine. She pointed out that women's tennis matches were not a question of being low quality but the fact that Ivanovic and Justine just played too well.

She really takes her time to explain the game from every angle. She is just so knowledgeable and also had the nerve to really take the US men to task for their lack of preparation for the clay courts.

Bravo Martina for your knowledge, your career, your objectivity and your passion for the game.
I know. And Martina is really growing on me as a match commentator, too. I did feel at the start that she talks too much, but I've been seeing SO MUCH MORE in the matches thanks to her. Keep it up, Martina. I'll really miss your insights during the final.
auntie janie is online now  
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,113
                     
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

The other nice thing about her: She is not the petty, phony MARY CARILLO!
treufreund is offline  
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,748
                     
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

I LOVE Martina Navratilova, but she can pour on the feminist rhetoric just as well as turn it off. Whether Justine was right or wrong or whether Serena was gracious or not is not necessarily the issue.

The US press "bias" is par for the course, and I think it's doing JH(who is a tough HUMAN BEING) an injustice by trying to champion her cause and coddle JH as if JH needs it. I also think she's a bit hypocritical when she calls for a "gracious" Serena when "graciousness" is never an issue with male athletes.

I hope you all understand me when I say that JH is "entitled" to the same treatment as male athletes are given, and Serena "deserves" the option of being mean and nasty in her interviews after an heartbreaking loss just like male athletes are.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!

Last edited by Pureracket; Jun 7th, 2007 at 10:29 PM.
Pureracket is offline  
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,144
                     
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

The US sports media lives on trying to make drama and controversy because they think that this would sell. They love creating demons and heroes to get attention, and they chose Justine this time to be the demon, because she nearly makes the perfect case for them.
Apoleb is offline  
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roaming in the gloaming!
Posts: 334
                     
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treufreund View Post
As a Justine fan and fan of women's tennis in general I love how she has tirelessly defended Justine against the unfair bias in the US Press. Today she laid it out there and said that Justine made a mistake in 2003 against Serena but that, other than that, she has seen nothing wrong. She also said Serena needed to be more gracious in her comments after her loss to Justine. She pointed out that women's tennis matches were not a question of being low quality but the fact that Ivanovic and Justine just played too well.

She really takes her time to explain the game from every angle. She is just so knowledgeable and also had the nerve to really take the US men to task for their lack of preparation for the clay courts.

Bravo Martina for your knowledge, your career, your objectivity and your passion for the game.
Sorry to be nit picky, but you say Justine defens Justine. I know you mean Navratilova, but I'm feeling mean!

I don't take to Justine no matter what anyone says. Not even La Navratilova. I just think she is not a nice person and she may win slams, but will end up a bit like that old woman out of Great Expectations. Old and alone.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC! THE NEXT NUMBER ONE!
InTheGloaming is offline  
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,316
                     
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

Of course she defended her, this is the woman who after all said she woulkd beat serena if they played back in 2002. I really don't care what she thinks, why were they dragging the match up anyway...typical.

Quote:
I think with her serve and her athleticism, her power, her court mobility, I just think when she’s on, she’s the greatest player we’ve ever seen, ever. Now, whether her record is the greatest remains to be seen because she hasn’t retired yet. But I think she is really the greatest player. I have seen Martina and Steffi at their best. There are little chinks in those players’ armor, but it was a different era, where you didn’t need to be the perfect player.
Chris Evert
16
Thanx4nothin is offline  
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Senior Member
 
RenaSlam.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25,032
                     
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

2006 AO final against Mauresmo, anyone?
RenaSlam. is offline  
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Vamos.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,416
                     
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
The best thing for Justine would have been if Sharapova made the final. Then Justine would have won easily, and it would have made headlines.
If she beats Ivanovic, no headlines in the US.
No, Maria proved at the US Open Final she is probably actually tougher mentally than Henin. Slam Finals so often do come down to who wants it more/who is prepared to go for it more and so forth...

*I am not being completely naive here though, I know what you are getting at. She pretty much sucks on clay and seems to fit right into Henin's game.

But I, personally, think that Justine got the better draw in the form of Ivanovic. Justine does get nervous quite often, especially in Slam Finals, and she has so much more experience than Ivanovic who is going to be extremely nervous herself. Justine has both the edge of play AND the edge of mentality over Ivanovic.

Ana isn't exactly a great mover on any surface, especially clay, and Justine can exploit that too.

In terms of play, Justine has proved against Serena and Janko that she can pretty much take anyone apart on clay. It seems that the only way you are going to stop her is by mentally beating her. Sharapova has the potential to do that, Ivanovic absolutely does not...

Ana is a better draw for her. Expect a comfortable, yet edgy, 6-4 6-1 claycourt lesson.

I know just--just what you are--ah-ah.


I like the way that you taste, when you're all up in my face.


Vamos. is offline  
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:31 PM
country flag TLP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 338
                     
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

Good post treufreund but I also don't want to see Justine being wrapped in warm blankets like pureracket said. Justine doesn't need to be bathed in the warmth of the US press, as if there is such a thing, she just needs more people to recognize that the style of tennis she brings to the table is something to be enjoyed. Navy was one hell of a player and sportwoman and to have her singing Justine's praises is as sweet as a gentle summer rain. The US tennis pundits have no real reason to bash Justine but it's par for the course the last few years. Justine is a great player who excells on clay and is a threat to win every tournament she enters.
TLP is offline  
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Vamos.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,416
                     
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaSlam588 View Post
2006 AO final against Mauresmo, anyone?


To back this up, Svetlana Kuznetsova had an abdominal injury in the QF against Ivanovic this year at RG. She was quoted as saying she didn't retire "because it was a Quarter-Final of a Grand Slam". And there you have it. Nevermind a Final of one

I know just--just what you are--ah-ah.


I like the way that you taste, when you're all up in my face.


Vamos. is offline  
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Bruno71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 474m N of Rancho Santa Fe
Posts: 10,894
 
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Even_Amateur View Post
No, Maria proved at the US Open Final she is probably actually tougher mentally than Henin. Slam Finals so often do come down to who wants it more/who is prepared to go for it more and so forth...

*I am not being completely naive here though, I know what you are getting at. She pretty much sucks on clay and seems to fit right into Henin's game.

But I, personally, think that Justine got the better draw in the form of Ivanovic. Justine does get nervous quite often, especially in Slam Finals, and she has so much more experience than Ivanovic who is going to be extremely nervous herself. Justine has both the edge of play AND the edge of mentality over Ivanovic.

Ana isn't exactly a great mover on any surface, especially clay, and Justine can exploit that too.

In terms of play, Justine has proved against Serena and Janko that she can pretty much take anyone apart on clay. It seems that the only way you are going to stop her is by mentally beating her. Sharapova has the potential to do that, Ivanovic absolutely does not...

Ana is a better draw for her. Expect a comfortable, yet edgy, 6-4 6-1 claycourt lesson.
I see your point and agree with it somewhat, but I still think Sharapova would be the better matchup in the final, because she simply has not been playing nearly well enough to hang with Justine here. That said, I didn't think she'd play nearly well enough to hang with Ivanovic too (who many people were saying would lose her nerve to the steely Masha), and she didn't...so there wasn't really much of a chance she'd have made the final anyway.
Bruno71 is offline  
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Queen.
 
serenaforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: On top of the world.
Posts: 15,159
                     
Re: I appreciate Martina Navratilova more than ever!

It would be better for Juju if Maria had made the final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
Lordrena. She is our mother and we are all her children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenus Christ View Post
we are ALL lessors under the LORD.
serenaforever is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome