Serena plans French Open surprise - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 180
                     
Serena plans French Open surprise

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Serena Williams likes proving people wrong and intends to surprise the skeptics at next month's French Open.

Williams stormed to victory in the year's opening Grand Slam, thrashing Maria Sharapova in the finals of the Australian Open despite finishing 2006 ranked 95th after battling injuries and appearing to critics to be in less than top condition.

"Everybody had written me off. Everyone was like 'she can't win a Grand Slam,' which I thought was outrageous," Williams told Reuters in an interview on Tuesday. "It was good. I like nothing more than proving people wrong."

After winning her eighth Grand Slam trophy, the 25-year-old American last month claimed her fourth Sony Ericsson Open title in Miami, overcoming world No. 1 Justine Henin after dropping the opening set 6-0.

Despite knee problems that bothered her during this month's U.S. Fed Cup win over Belgium and a groin pull that forced her out of her first clay court warmup in Charleston, Williams said she planned to spring her next surprise in Paris.

"I have something in mind, but I'm not going to say. It has something to do with clay," the 12th-ranked Williams said slyly. "I'm really looking forward to Roland Garros. It's going to be fun."

Williams won her only French Open crown in 2002, which began a run of four Grand Slam titles in a row that was dubbed the Serena Slam.

Victory on the red clay would bring her halfway to a classic Grand Slam sweep with Wimbledon and the U.S. Open left on the 2007 calendar.

"I think it can be done. I play well on all surfaces so I'm a good candidate to do it. Who knows?

"My knees are good, it feels much better.

"I'm playing again in Germany in a couple of weeks, then there's Rome," she said about her preparation for the French.

"I want to start sliding more. I've been playing on hard courts for so long, so intensely that I haven't been sliding as well as I want to, so I have to work harder on that."

Williams has put some of her off-court interests on hold while concentrating on tennis.

"But I love acting so much. In the fall I might have some opportunities to do some things.

"In a perfect world I could do a full season and be done in late September and then film a movie and start (tennis) again in January," she said. "In a perfect world."

Williams has appeared in several film and television dramas is keen to develop a movie career.

Despite the WTA Tour plans to shorten the season, Williams was critical of scheduling changes to begin in 2009.

"There's a lot of changes. I think it's drastic, almost too drastic," she said.

"All the tournaments are in Europe, Russia and all the players seem to be from there. To grow the sport more in the United States, the tour should focus on tournaments in the United States," she said, noting the shrinking number of U.S. events on the calendar.

"I think they're changing the schedule to cater to Europe and I don't like it. I don't like it at all."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...tion=si_latest
bucklemyshoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Denise4925's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Basking in Serena's Glory
Posts: 30,854
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklemyshoe View Post
NEW YORK (Reuters) --
"There's a lot of changes. I think it's drastic, almost too drastic," she said.

"All the tournaments are in Europe, Russia and all the players seem to be from there. To grow the sport more in the United States, the tour should focus on tournaments in the United States," she said, noting the shrinking number of U.S. events on the calendar.

"I think they're changing the schedule to cater to Europe and I don't like it. I don't like it at all."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...tion=si_latest
I think she's right. But, money is always the catalyst in these things and it doesn't matter if it's the right thing to do for the sport.
Denise4925 is offline  
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,901
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise4925 View Post
I think she's right. But, money is always the catalyst in these things and it doesn't matter if it's the right thing to do for the sport.
But in fairness, Serena also pointed out that all the players seem to be coming from Europe. The USA had such a run of talent, from the inception of the tour up through the present day, and if tennis is waning there, it IS the right thing to switch the focus to the countries where the young talent is coming from.
Orion is offline  
post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Senior Member
 
stevos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,374
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Is the surprise going to be an outfit? Or the way she plays? I'm kind of confused here.

But I'm excited!

gone
stevos is offline  
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Denise4925's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Basking in Serena's Glory
Posts: 30,854
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
But in fairness, Serena also pointed out that all the players seem to be coming from Europe. The USA had such a run of talent, from the inception of the tour up through the present day, and if tennis is waning there, it IS the right thing to switch the focus to the countries where the young talent is coming from.
But, the point is that there is such a drought here, it doesn't help the sport here in the US. It doesn't make sense to take most of the tournaments away. It will cause more of a disinterest.
Denise4925 is offline  
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Senior Member
 
RenaSlam.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25,033
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Serena's the shit...
RenaSlam. is offline  
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Everybody's a star!!!
 
Shvedbarilescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London
Posts: 25,436
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklemyshoe View Post
"All the tournaments are in Europe, Russia and all the players seem to be from there. To grow the sport more in the United States, the tour should focus on tournaments in the United States," she said, noting the shrinking number of U.S. events on the calendar.

"I think they're changing the schedule to cater to Europe and I don't like it. I don't like it at all."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...tion=si_latest
Russia???!!! Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there is only one single tournament in Russia, and for a country with such a large population as well as more tennis players in the top 100 than any other country that hardly could be considered too many. Not enough if anything.

Shvedbarilescu is offline  
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,059
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevos View Post
Is the surprise going to be an outfit? Or the way she plays? I'm kind of confused here.

But I'm excited!
I heard it was a neon corset and a hot pink wooden racquet!
MisterQ is offline  
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Member
 
MyskinaManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,000
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Serena attempting to win RG even before it has started... this has been done before by none other than herself.
MyskinaManiac is offline  
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Everybody's a star!!!
 
Shvedbarilescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London
Posts: 25,436
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise4925 View Post
But, the point is that there is such a drought here, it doesn't help the sport here in the US. It doesn't make sense to take most of the tournaments away. It will cause more of a disinterest.
Hmmm....where do I keep the tournaments? Over here where they are selling out and getting alot of attention or over there where stadiums are often half empty and no one seems that interested in tennis? Hmmmm......

Shvedbarilescu is offline  
post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Everything Fades Away
 
Oizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fields Of Gold
Posts: 124,499
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

I knew she planned something like this after her thoughts about the upcoming tournaments and especially the slams. It would be great if she and Roger would do it at the same time.
Oizo is offline  
post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Denise4925's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Basking in Serena's Glory
Posts: 30,854
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCHorse View Post
Hmmm....where do I keep the tournaments? Over here where they are selling out and getting alot of attention or over there where stadiums are often half empty and no one seems that interested in tennis? Hmmmm......
I said in my first post it was about money. I'm not saying that it's not a good business decision for now, but how will it effect the tour in the long run?
Denise4925 is offline  
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,743
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oizo View Post
I knew she planned something like this after her thoughts about the upcoming tournaments and especially the slams. It would be great if she and Roger would do it at the same time.
I was thinking the same

The way Rogers going I think Serena has more of a chance of doing it

Still beating Henin on clay is no mean feat, especially at RG. The last time she was defeated in the 2nd week of RG was 2001

Still Serena's main problem is injury then Henin, but if anyone can beat Henin Serena can
Olórin is offline  
post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Nicolás89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 19,977
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

it would be cool if she wins the french but if martina has any chances to do her thing, well then i woulnt mind a litle-tiny injury

LEGEND. Nicole. Caro. Aga. Sloane. Taylor.
Nicolás89 is offline  
post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Everything Fades Away
 
Oizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fields Of Gold
Posts: 124,499
                     
Re: Serena plans French Open surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena-#1-Fan View Post
I was thinking the same

The way Rogers going I think Serena has more of a chance of doing it

Still beating Henin on clay is no mean feat, especially at RG. The last time she was defeated in the 2nd week of RG was 2001

Still Serena's main problem is injury then Henin, but if anyone can beat Henin Serena can
Henin can be beaten by Kusnetsowa or Petrova on clay also. She was very lucky to have won that French Open when she was match points down against Sveta. I think Serena can overpower her on clay again. On grass and hard-court for sure. On clay it's a matter of tactics.
Oizo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome