Or if your fave is retired, were you okay with it?
There are many different ways of how players end their careers:
1. "Waking up one morning and realising you are done with tennis." Well that's what many players say when asked about how they will retire. Her game might still be top-notch but the motivation is gone.
Example: Steffi Graf.
2. Pregnancy, causing a sudden retirement as well.
Example: Lindsay Davenport.
3. Farewell season. Player is usually still competitive but no longer at the very top of the game and realises it's time to go with dignity.
Example: Chris Evert.
4. Career fizzling out. Player keeps playing despite being past her prime. Her results get worse and worse and she moves out of the spotlight. Either she's still motivated but can't get her game together anymore, or she's going through the motions and losing interest (because of marriage etc.).
Examples: Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Irina Spirlea.
5. Semi-retirement. Usually done by slightly lesser players or doubles experts. Retiring from singles but still playing doubles.
Example: Lori McNeil.
(and many others that I can't think of right now)
6. Multiple retirements. Players retire but come back a few years later.
Examples: Martina Navratilova, Martina Hingis.
7. Chronic injury trouble.
Examples: Monica Seles, Jennifer Capriati.
Which one do you like best?