What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Steffica Greles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: England
Posts: 4,073
                     
What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

This year one could argue that Vaidisova has consolidated her position in the top ten, reaching the semi-finals in Australia (stretching Serena more than anybody else, in my opinion) and Sydney.

Yet I am disappointed because, with the exception of a superb win over Mauresmo in Paris last summer, when, on her own worst surface, Vaidisova comprehensively outplayed her opponent, she still has yet to defeat any of the top women, whom I would classify as Henin, Serena, Clijsters, Sharapova (who she's still yet to play). Moreoever, in the last year she has lost matches to top ten players who I would already rate Nicole above; namely Kuznetsova, Petrova, Hingis, Jankovic, and just recently has lost to a host of lower-ranked players.

Perhaps it would be ironic to criticise Nicole's slow progression when she has today lost to an 18 year-old, Krajicek, who was vaunted to be roughly of Vaidisova's calibre, but who is still languishing outside the top 50.

So, first of all, is Nicole really that good? I say yes. I have been hugely impressed by what I would rate as the cleanest and most deadly forehand in women's tennis, particularly from the way in which she can maintain a superb length in response to powerful drives. Nicole's backhand is more mechanical, but has developed into a considerable weapon with what are deceptively soft hands. In additoin, she possesses a service which is that of a champion, and, most impressively, she always appears in absolutely exemplary physical condition. Those broad shoulders combined with a svelte waistline and long legs form the embodiment of physical perfection in women's tennis. There is much scope for her movement, which is not a major weakness, to improve substantially.

It must be remembered that, at just turned 18, Vaidisova is still very young and has achieved much relative to peers in her age-group. Controversially, I would rate her already as a more formidable player than Maria at the same age, except that Maria had the mentality of a champion, had broken through in a barren year, and her reputation thereafer had preceded her in seeing her come through some tough matches. Nicole is yet to earn herself that reputation. And Venus Williams did not win a first slam until she was 20; it is worth remembering that, also.

But there is a decidedly growing feeling that Nicole has hit a plateau, along with a slew of other young starlets in women's tennis. She is not pushing forward, and, occasionally, appears to be slipping up against inferior opposition. I must confess that by now I would have expected her to be challenging the very pinnacle of the sport, with at least one tier 2 or above title and a number of scalps of top players under her belt.

Is there anything for admirers of Nicole to be concerned about?

Last edited by Steffica Greles; Apr 10th, 2007 at 11:09 PM.
Steffica Greles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Derek.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 25,048
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles View Post
This year one could argue that Vaidisova has consolidated her position in the top ten, reaching the semi-finals in Australia (stretching Serena more than anybody else, in my opinion) and Miami.

First of all she didn't reach the semifinals in Miami.

She reaches the semis in Sydney and Melbourne (with wins over Hantuchova, Ivanovic, Dementieva, Safarova, etc.).
Derek. is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Serena's #1 Hater
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 19,723
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

What's wrong with Nicole Vaidisova? She's a 17-year-old girl, that's what. Next topic, please.

"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Steffica Greles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: England
Posts: 4,073
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek. View Post
First of all she didn't reach the semifinals in Miami.

She reaches the semis in Sydney and Melbourne (with wins over Hantuchova, Ivanovic, Dementieva, Safarova, etc.).
Oops
Steffica Greles is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Derek.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 25,048
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles View Post
Yet I am disappointed because, with the exception of a superb win over Mauresmo in Paris last summer, when, on her own worst surface, Vaidisova comprehensively outplayed her opponent, she still has yet to defeat any of the top women, whom I would classify as Henin, Serena, Clijsters, Sharapova (who she's still yet to play). Moreoever, in the last year she has lost matches to top ten players who I would already rate Nicole above; namely Kuznetsova, Petrova, Hingis, Jankovic, and just recently has lost to a strong of lower-ranked players.
Nicole also beat Mauresmo in Moscow, coming back from 1-6 2-5 down saving3 match points.

Nicole's loss to Hingis was in Rome last year and Nicole wasn't really confident going into Rome after a poor green clay season and injuries.

Nicole beat Jankovic in Linz as well. They're pretty even and Nicole still leads the H2H 4-2. Jankovic has slowed down a bit herself as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles View Post
It must be remembered that, at just turned 18, Vaidisova is still very young and has achieved much relative to peers in her age-group.
She's still 17.
Derek. is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Steffica Greles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: England
Posts: 4,073
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek. View Post
Nicole also beat Mauresmo in Moscow, coming back from 1-6 2-5 down saving3 match points.

Nicole's loss to Hingis was in Rome last year and Nicole wasn't really confident going into Rome after a poor green clay season and injuries.

Nicole beat Jankovic in Linz as well. They're pretty even and Nicole still leads the H2H 4-2. Jankovic has slowed down a bit herself as well.




She's still 17.
She'll be 18 in a matter of weeks...or days. I know her birthdate is in April...I do not know the exact date.

Christ!
Steffica Greles is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Derek.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 25,048
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles View Post
But there is a decidedly growing feeling that Nicole has hit a plateau, along with a slew of other young starlets in women's tennis. She is not pushing forward, and, occasionally, appears to be slipping up against inferior opposition. I must confess that by now I would have expected her to be challenging the very pinnacle of the sport, with at least one tier 2 or above title and a number of scalps of top players under her belt.

To be honest, Nicole has made a lot of semifinals in the past year or so in big tournaments.

And she hasn't gotten the easiest of opponents in the semifinals that she lost: Petrova x2, Jankovic (on a hotstreak in Sydney '07), Clijsters x2, Serena, Schiavone (was in wicked form in Sydney '06).

To me, Nicole is kind of the opposite of Sharapova. Sharapova won a slam early, but was not ready to win a 2nd one for awhile. I believe that it will take Nicole awhile to win a slam/big title, but when she does, I think she will be ready to win more right after that.

I'm not making any excuses because I believe Nicole should have at least one big title by now, but I believe it will come soon and hopefully many after the first.
Derek. is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Senior Member
 
jamatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,377
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

Nicole's problem is she's too nice.
jamatthews is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Corswandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 12 o'clock high
Posts: 14,314
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamatthews View Post
Nicole's problem is she's too nice.


Post of the day.

Kvitova * Garcia * Konjuh * Dodin * Robson * Haddad Maia


Eu Jogo Ténis


Prokofiev + Son Goku = pwnage
Corswandt is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Derek.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 25,048
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

And to answer the question of the thread: No, I don't think there are any problems with Nicole besides the fact she makes poor shot selection at times.
Derek. is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Nicolás89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 19,972
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

so she loses against krajicek and everyone now is deceptioned?

im happy with nicole and her results, i know she does her best every time

she is young, she has to have fun on court not be stressed cause sharapova had one slam earlier than her, but when she turn 21 and then she dont have a slam or at least a big tournament then we can be worried

LEGEND. Nicole. Caro. Aga. Sloane. Taylor.
Nicolás89 is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,296
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

Like I always thought, Nicole needs time.I never thought she could be as strong as Maria was when she was 17 years old.I'm not complain, actually.

No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar
Abraham Lincoln
Neptune is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Corswandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 12 o'clock high
Posts: 14,314
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles View Post
Blah blah blah

So, first of all, is Nicole really that good?

Then some more blah blah blah.
She isn't. Certainly not now. As I said on that other thread, her current ranking is inflated by 5-6 spots. She's #8 having beaten only 3 top ten players over the past twelve months, and in that same period has won a single TIII title and reached no other finals. This record is much worse than say Schnyder's when she re-entered the top 10 in late 2005, and heaven knows I shook my head at it at the time.

As for the future, who knows. It depends not only on how Nicole's game will evolve but also on what kind of opposition she'll be up against.

But I do add one thing - I don't believe in champions by default (yes, I know there were at least a couple in 2004). There's this idea that once Henin and S. Williams begin to lose steam a window of opportunity will open for the current hopefuls. But I suspect that those same hopefuls either rise to the call *now* or when the time does come others will overtake them and do so while they will remain settled into the same comfy #5-20 ranking range in which they currently lie.

And will people please stop with the comparisons with Sharapova. It's already abundantly clear that none of the other (chronically overrated) teenagers on the Tour is fit to tie Maria's shoelaces.

Kvitova * Garcia * Konjuh * Dodin * Robson * Haddad Maia


Eu Jogo Ténis


Prokofiev + Son Goku = pwnage
Corswandt is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Derek.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 25,048
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
She isn't. Certainly not now. As I said on that other thread, her current ranking is inflated by 5-6 spots. She's #8 having beaten only 3 top ten players over the past twelve months, and in that same period has won a single TIII title and reached no other finals. This record is much worse than say Schnyder's when she re-entered the top 10 in late 2005, and heaven knows I shook my head at it at the time.

As for the future, who knows. It depends not only on how Nicole's game will evolve but also on what kind of opposition she'll be up against.

But I do add one thing - I don't believe in champions by default (yes, I know there were at least a couple in 2004). There's this idea that once Henin and S. Williams begin to lose steam a window of opportunity will open for the current hopefuls. But I suspect that those same hopefuls either rise to the call *now* or when the time does come others will overtake them and do so while they will remain settled into the same comfy #5-20 ranking range in which they currently lie.

And will people please stop with the comparisons with Sharapova. It's already abundantly clear that none of the other (chronically overrated) teenagers on the Tour is fit to tie Maria's shoelaces.

You are so negative as a fan of Nicole.

I know you probably see it as "telling it like it is", but on all of your posts you basically say she sucks.
Derek. is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Steffica Greles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: England
Posts: 4,073
                     
Re: What's Wrong with Nicole? Is there anything wrong with Nicole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
But I do add one thing - I don't believe in champions by default (yes, I know there were at least a couple in 2004). There's this idea that once Henin and S. Williams begin to lose steam a window of opportunity will open for the current hopefuls. But I suspect that those same hopefuls either rise to the call *now* or when the time does come others will overtake them and do so while they will remain settled into the same comfy #5-20 ranking range in which they currently lie.
While I disagree with you over Nicole's ability and her status as a top ten player, I think that the above quote is a very good point, which, if you hadn't been so dismissive, you would have seen was the essence of my post: is Nicole waiting in the wings, or is it that she's simply not good enough? I also alluded to the Ivanovices, the Golovins (although in light of the weekend it's not the best time to use her as an example) and even the Krajiceks in asking that question.

Although, I'm not sure that I entirely agree with your point. There is a theory that players have a shelf life, and when that shelf life is over -- whether the problem be motivational, induced by wear and tear, or an interrelationship between the two, as in the case of Clijsters and arguably Mauresmo -- the other younger, fresher, more eager players ascend to that mantle for the next three or four years. Their tenure used to be longer, but now it seems as if three to four years at the top is the duration before injuries set in.

Of course, as you so rightly argued, that does not mean those players are of the same calibre as those they replaced; and that has been the problem in women's tennis over the last three years.
Steffica Greles is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome