Serena 2007 versus Serena 2002; which is better?
Having watched Serenas matches at the AO and Miami, I have seen enough to compare her current play versus that of 2002.
1. Serve - About the same with the a slight edge going to 2002. In some of her current matches her lst serve percentage has been a tad low.
2. Groundstokes - much better in 2002 due to being in superior physical condition. Her lower weight gave her added quickness and while her footwork was still lacking sometimes, she consistantly was in better position and so she went for more. Recently though she plays overall a bit smarter and her selection of what balls to kill has improved. So while groundies were physically better in 02 her ball selection has improved
3. Court Coverage - She was better in 2002 without a doubt.
4. Net Play - I believe she is better in 2007 if only for the reason she keeps coming regardless if makes an error.
5. Overall Form - 2002 was better, she had no problem with the rallys and point construction was better. Serena still will rally but seems to depend on her serve more in 2007.
6. Return of Service - Seems to have taken her return game to a new level in 2007. Her returns have never been more devastating.
7. Mental Toughness - equal but if I had to pick a year it would be 2007. What has occurred with regards to her comebacks this year is Amazing.
8. Overall - Serena still has to go some to equal 2002's form which I consider the highest level ever achieved in Women's tennis.
What do you think?
Beat'em down Ms Williams, beat'em down!
SERENA PRINCESS OF POWER
Victoria Duval - coming to a slam near you
Françoise Abanda definitely a future #1 --- Taylor Townsend devastation on the march
Venus and Serena ferocious grannies --- Kimiko Date Krumm great granny still doing her thing.
Last edited by TSequoia01; Apr 2nd, 2007 at 12:49 PM.