I saw Hingis/Jankovic LIVE!!!
I was at the Hingis/Jankovic match in Sydney today......I just got home infact and wow - what a match!!!! For an opening round match, that was pretty much as tough as they come...
I learnt a few things from watching which some people may like to discuss...
1. I know some people think Jankovic isn't a power player...but geez, I'd never seen Martina play live before...and she's really disadvantaged with how hard she hits the ball...i used to think the whole 'power' thing was hyped up too much....but its actually true...the weight of the Hingis shot is so much less than that of Jankovic.....alot of the time, this was the difference in the points.
2. Hingis needs to start converting break points....she had games where Jankovic was serving 0-40, 15-40, and she blew some easy chances to break - particularly in the final set.
3. Jankovic is worthy of a top-10 spot......really, I didn't think Hingis played badly today - Jankovic produced some extremely good groundstrokes....they were well-placed as well as powerful....(i think we all know that power alone isnt enough to beat Hingis)....Jankovic has ALOT of talent and can definitely challenge the top 10. Hingis would have beaten most players below her today - she definitely didnt play poorly - she came up with some aweseome shots of her own....and I think she played better than at the Gold Coast last week (compared to the final against Safina anyway).
4. If power was not a factor, Hingis would beat EVERYONE. I dont think she can win the Aussie Open with the game the way it is now. I watched today...and some of her shots - geez....they're unbelievable.....the drop shots and volleys...her game really is the complete package....but often, putting herself in the position to win the point wasn't enough....she struggled to hit the winner - and I think that in the end, it won't be enough for another big title.
5. Basically, to sum up.....when I first arrived and saw the first part of the match....I thought Jankovic was going to THRASH Hingis......How Martina stays in those matches I have no idea - really I dont know how she does it.....Jankovic just looked to have so much more power and strength behind her shots than what Hingis did......and yet, Martina nearly pulled out a victory....In my mind, she is the greatest tennis player ever.....I dont care how many times she loses to these players.....she knows whats going on out there......and if she could just find a way to add some strength and power to her shots - she'd be back winning the slams again.
Martina HINGIS [Australian Open 97/98/99, Wimbledon 97, US Open 97]
Kim CLIJSTERS [US Open 05/09/10, Australian Open 11]
Ana IVANOVIC [French Open 08]
Last edited by CaptnMatt; Jan 8th, 2007 at 06:09 AM.