Prattasaurus not retiring just yet!!!
Pratt to try one more tour
By Paul Malone
December 14, 2006
AUSTRALIA'S No.2 ranked female player, Nicole Pratt, has reconsidered plans to make this summer her Australian farewell tour of duty.
Pratt, 33, had been eyeing retirement in the second half of 2007 to step into a new career as a travelling coach.
But the Queenslander, one of only three Australian players ranked in the top 100 of the women's and men's tours, has been re-energised by her improved results late this year and a determined off-season of training in Florida.
Pratt won through qualifying rounds for both Wimbledon and the US Open and reached her first WTA Tour tier-one quarter-final to finish the year ranked No.78.
The Australian Fed Cup team stalwart said she hoped she would be given a wildcard into her home state tournament, the Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourt titles, at the Gold Coast from December 31-January 6.
Tennis Australia director of player development Craig Tiley said yesterday that Pratt met the first of five-point wildcard criteria for Australian Open lead-up tournaments by having a ranking high enough to give her direct entry into the Australian Open from January 15-28.
Pratt said: "I am planning on playing the Gold Coast. I would hope that I am considered for a wildcard but obviously that all depends on Tennis Australia.
"I am not sure if it's my last Australian summer now. I still think I have the energy and desire needed."