Which of the following events do you consider to be the most unsporting, unfair, rude, stupid or unacceptable. And what do you think the apporpriate punishment should have been:
* Martina Hingis crossing the net to dispute a line call during the French Open final in 1999, and then refusing to play on until the tournament referee was called after the call was not overturned.
* Justine Henin-Hardenne's refusal to admit to attempting to halt play vs. Serena Williams in the French Open semifinals in 2003.
* Maria Sharapova's "hand gestures/on cour coaching" throughout the US Open 2006, but especially in the final
* Maria Sharapova's own "hand incident" vs. Shahar Peer in Zurch 2006
* Jennifer Capriati's numerous four letter tirades against linespeople, the umpire and even the crowd during the Australian Open final in 2002.
* The "bump" and comments that followed by Venus Williams and Irina Spirlea during the US Open semifinals in 1997.
* Natasha Zvereva's gesture to the crowd after losing in doubles at Wimbledon to Anna Kournikova and Martina Hingis (I can't remember which year, or who Zvereva's partner was)
* Jelena Jankovic's reaction and subsequent collapse of form after one of her serves was (correctly) called out during the US Open semifinal 2006 vs. Justine Henin-Hardenne.
* Patty Schnyder's refusal to shake hands with Conchita Martinez during the family circle cup (can't remember which year) after first offering her hand
*Martina Hingis referring to Amelie Mauresmo as "half a man" prior to their Australian Open final in 1999.
*Venus Williams and Jelena Jankovic accusing each other of underhand tactics (serving too quickly, going for winner during the warmup) throughout 2006.
*Anastasia Myskina's refusal to play for Russia in the Fed Cup if Maria Sharapova was allowed on the team.
* Magdalena Maleeva ignoring a stabbed Monica Seles on the other side of the court during the Quarterfinals in Hamburg in 1993. Instead of going to assist her (like Vera Zvonareva would have done), she sat and ignored what was happening, waiting to be awarded the match by default.
For me, the most despicable action was Maleeva's in Hanburg, but she wasn't actually breaking any rules, so could not have been punished. It just showed what a selfish person she was at the time.
In my opinion, Maria Sharapova should have been penalised by warnings, followed by points and then default during the US Open. It was utterly amazing to me that she was allowed to get away with what she did.
Also, I think Jennifer Capriati should have at least received a warning for her behaviour during the AO final in 02.
How about you? Any other examples?