1. Justine: Extroardinary year. May have been even more so if not injured in Fall and Summer. Looked vulnerable in certain matches though. Very deserving number #1.
2. Maria: Won another Slam and the most Tier 1 titles. Probably smarting over losing to Justine over the weekend. Needs to keep getting stronger and add more dimensions to an already tough game.
3. Amelie: The year of her life. Two Slams. Had some rough patches though and that probably cost her the top ranking because of it. Get the Roland Garros monkey of your back Amelie!!!
4. Svetlana: Hardest worker on tour. Damn though, she is missing something in her game to win consistently against the best. Perhaps played too much in 2006. At least she won Miami and got to another Slam final.
5. Kim: Injury woes. Has lots of problems with the top three. Definitely a step behind 2005. Hope she goes out with a bang in 07.
6. Nadia: Can anyone imagine her year had she not got injured at the French and then lost all those matches during the Summer. That about describes her year. She is still a work in progress and when she is on, is still a dangerous foe. Can't sneeze though at 5 titles. Get's to say she was Martina N's last partner in doubles.
7. Martina: Probably one of the greatest of any comebacks of any player that left the game. Didn't win a Slam like a Capriati or Seles did though. She doesn't have the game to beat the best all the time, but she's definitely a tough opponent for most players.
8.Elena: If she is happy with her career as it is, than good for her. Expect more brilliant wins and puzzling losses in 2007. But if she wants to be the great champion she could be, we all know what she has to do without mentioning it........
9. Patty: To me she is the Mary Jo Fernandez of the 2000's. Perrenial top ten player but with not enough stuff to beat the best all the time or win Slams. Still though, she was a wall in 2006. Maybe, like Sveta, overplays.
10. Nicole: Didn't match her fetes from Fall of 2005, but still got to her first Grand Slam semi. Rocket forehand and groundstrokes is gonna get her places if she gets one thing in check: her head.
11. Dinara: Kinda finished with a whimper in 2006. She had so many brilliant moments this year. Kinda like Nicole though. Tons of talent but needs to work on her nerves and mental toughness. Still think she should have beaten Martina in Rome.
12. Jelena: Became the most entertaining player of 2006. What a coming out party. Definitely adds tons of spice to the game and despite a forgettable first part of season, stepped it up big time. Still though, let tons of matches slip away because of a lack of focus she nees to work on.
13. Anna C (or T lol) Had that brilliant week in Moscow. Could use more of that in 2007. But look where she is at now!!! If she can stay injury free I think Anna will be a huge danger to the best in 07. Love that forehand.
14. Ana I: Glamour girl of the tour is loaded with talent. Needs more confidence though and probably could get stronger. Big thrill for her to power past Hingis at Montreal! A definite threat if she keeps improving.
15. Francesca: Animated player let more tournaments slip away. Consistently great year but had some injury woes. She is fun to watch but needs more consistent weeks match after match. Often loses focus in key matches. Congrats on her great doubles year. WIN YOUR FIRST SINGLES TITLE IN 07!!
16. Anastasia: Had her one shining moment almost beating Justine in the Eastbourne final. Hope she finds her focus again and gets healthy. Too much talent to not be going deep in the draw of all her tournaments.
17. Marion: At least one player on tour thinks she can win a Slam
Consistent year and has proven she has the stuff. But does she have the stuff to beat the best? Perhaps getting a bit stronger would prove her case.
18. Daniela: Slowly but surely finder her groove again. Small setback with the rib injury. Excellent talent and she should be near the best. Hopefully, 2007 will tell a different Daniela story.
19. Anna Lena: Plays too much, loses too much (but had some great moments in 06) yet is a great gal. Always seems to be happy to be out there playing. Luckily, doesn't have the pressure of being called the next you-know-who. If she ever ends up getting her stuff together, she definitely has the makings of a champion. 2007 may tell us more.
20. Shahar: Destined to be a great player if 2006 was any indication. Looked fitter this year and of course she had some brilliant victories. Still though, lacks a lot of confidence often against the best. Needs to have that belief she can beat them week end and out.
21. Na Li: Did great in the Slams this year but struggled with injuries. Definitely has the chance to be a top ten player. Huge game but can get better if she wants to. Kinda of gives off the vibe she wants to be more independent, but let's see what 2007 brings for her.
22. Tatiana Golovin: Seems to be on the cusp of greatness. Terrible luck with ankle injuries this year. Her game though seems to be getting bigger, her forehand a weapon and she is quick on court. Still, needs more confidence and stay INJURY FREE.
23. Katarina: Big forehand and in many ways, 2006 was a breakthrough year for her. Had match points against Lindsay at the U.S. Open. Doubles successes are finally carrying over to the singles court. Top 15 or even higher is not too farfetched next year for her.
24. Vera Z.: Glad to see her some of her emotional woes declined in 2006. She seems to be having tons of fun on court. Won some singles titles and with Natalie Dechy, was the surprise U.S. Open doubles champ. Her reaching the top ten and doing more damage could make Vera a great story in 2007.
25. Lindsay: She may be 30 and had a tough year because of injury, but she proved on many occasions that she still has what it takes. She won't be seen much in 2007, but that could spell danger for her opponents when she does show up.