The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching - TennisForum.com
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
SWOOP!
 
Mother_Marjorie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,444
                     
The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching


2006 Year-End Champion and 2006 Year-End #1 Player, Justine Henin-Hardenne




2006 WTA #3 Ranked Amelie Mauresmo and 2006 WTA #1 Ranked Justine Henin-Hardenne



I needed to get this off my chest, because I felt as though it needed to be said.

Now that the 2006 WTA Season is complete and the women have let their racquets speak for themselves, I think it is very appropriate to revisit the lynching of Justine Henin-Hardenne in January 2006 and her reply to the tennis world this season.

Never before in the Open Era has any player recieved such criticism over an injury withdrawl from a Grand Slam tournament as Justine Henin-Hardenne did at the 2006 Australian Open Finals. She was ingesting anti-inflammatory medication for a shoulder injury when she began cramping during the AO finals. Justine retired during that match because she couldn't distinguish between the cramping from the medication she was taking, or an abdominal injury.

As a result, she was overly and harshly criticized by other WTA players, the sports media, tennis columnists and commentators. It was a modern-day lynching of a tennis player that was steadfast in her defense, which she believed.

Some said she retired because she knew she was losing badly, completely ignoring the fact that Justine is the biggest fighter in the WTA. Some said she was attempting to "take away Amelie's moment" of winning her first grand slam title, ignoring the fact Justine had never before or since retired from a Grand Slam final. Some even said as a result of her withdrawl during the AO final, Justine would never again be able to win a Grand Slam tournament, that she would be mentally beaten by her withdrawl, ignoring Justine's canny ability to fight back from a virus, the death of her mother and reptitive injuries.

Justine's response? The truth. And if Justine wasn't being honest about her withdrawl, she might well have been mentally beaten, to the point of not being able to perform well in the majors and other tournaments. However, Justine didn't fight back with words, she used her racquet.

The next grand slam tournament, French Open, she won without dropping a set, and put her in a position to be only the third woman in tennis history to win three French Open Championships in a row. Her win even prompted an apology from Pam Shriver who questioned Justine's withdrawl from the AO finals. Her critics said it was to be expected that Justine would win on a slower surface. She brought children battling cancer that participated in her Circle of Winners to watch her in that final, and the upcoming Wimbledon Championships.

Next, she made it to the finals of Wimbledon, of which she lost once again to Amelie, but it was 6-4 in the third. Many said Justine couldn't play well on a fast surface. She once again proved them wrong by winning a grass-court tune up to Wimbledon.

Then, she makes it to the finals of the US Open, a fast hardcourt tournament and was soundly defeated by Maria.

Justine made it to the finals of all four Grand Slam tournaments, winning one. She made it to the finals of Fed Cup, winning all of her indoor matches. She won on all four surfaces, including the YEC of which she soundly defeated Amelie and regained the #1 ranking. She had the best record of any player, won more tournaments than any other WTA player and became the first player since Seles to make it to the finals of all GS tournaments and the YEC.

It is obvious that Justine sent a strong message to the tennis world and all that cruely admonished her in January of 2006. She is not only the best fighter in the WTA, but ended the year the best player in the WTA and the YEC, defeating the woman whose GS final in January stirred animosity towards Justine.

It always appeared as if Justine was out to prove something this year. Not only to herself, but to the tennis world that easily and without a thought, attempted to cast her into the depths of tennis hell. She did this without negatively talking about it...rather, she used her tennis to prove otherwise.

Not only did Justine throw every word of negativity about her in Janurary back in the faces of the tennis world, but used their negativity to rise to the top of the tennis world and #1 ranking for 2006. Not only did she prove that she was the best in 2006, but that she isn't going away anytime soon.

The irony is startling. Justine had the last laugh. And so did her fans

allez!

Last edited by Mother_Marjorie; Nov 13th, 2006 at 04:51 AM.
Mother_Marjorie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,118
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

very nice post. at 24, i believe justine henin-hardenne understands that if she's gonna make a run at some tennis history she better take advantage while being at the prime age for a tennis player (24-26 yrs. old).

she's not going away any time soon, she truly is the dominator of the womens game...when she shows up she wins...of course she's only human and can't win them all, but her ratio of appearances to winning is pretty damn good. she took the torch from Hingis, Davenport, and Serena Williams and she's doing a good job at proving her critics wrong.
Hingiswinsthis is offline  
post #3 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Senior Member
 
No Name Face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: nYc
Posts: 12,821
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

i don't like her that much, but she's growing on me. her game is just so beautiful and even though she'll never be a serena or dementieva to me, i'm starting to respect her. now with that said, she absolutely cannot surpass serena's slams

ROCK ON:
elena dementieva, serena williams, caroline wozniacki, ana ivanovic
david nalbandian, rafael nadal, andy murray, gael monfils, jo-wilfried tsonga
No Name Face is offline  
post #4 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,687
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

Nice post Swami.lol. Nice. I read every single word.

I can imagine how much she went through. It's not easy when you have your friends/coworkers against you. But imagine the world of tennis, and peers, media etc.? It was alot she had to deal with for no real good reason, but she didn't wilt. She took it as a challenge and dealt with it.

There are alot of things about JHH that is just plain inspirational. I think with her you see someone who understands what true life is all about. She didn't deal bitterly because she understands life is fleeting and one should make the most out of it.

She is a slow starter, but a riser. Alot of players burst onto the scene quickly, but she took her time to climb.lol. And being so tiny and acheiving all she has already...really amazes me. I was joking with my friend about this barely 5'5" girl who defeats a girl who is almost a whole foot taller.lol. That's just guts and fight.
vejh is offline  
post #5 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
pigmalion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,327
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

respect well said

[And the fairy tale continues..]
.Justine Henin.
..:*Samantha STOSUR||Yanina WICKMAYER||Kim CLIJSTERS*:..

.[ALLEZ].
pigmalion is offline  
post #6 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
CrossCourt~Rally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: '*Happy~Holidays*'
Posts: 129,258
                     
Thumbs up Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

Niceley said SWAMI
CrossCourt~Rally is offline  
post #7 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

There are just so many flaws in that first posts that I don't know where to start.
She knew what she wanted to do in 2006 before the year started.

You're implying that Justine all of a sudden decided to just talk with her court play after the negative incident at the Australian Open.
That is just not true.

She did make it to the finals of Wimbledon.
Noone ever said she couldn't do it. She's been there before.
It's the final step of winning it that most critics are doubtful with.
I even made a thread last year about Justine never winning Wimbledon unless she deals with her flaws.
She is still not serving as well as she should on grass and she's paid for it in the final.

I give her credit for working on a more consistent serve over the summer but she has had even more issues with her serve now than before.

I give her credit for winning on what could be considered her weakest surface, indoors.

Her net play continues to get better.
Her approach shots are one of the best on tour.

Those things will help her in the future but Justine's first serve percentage cost her two slams this year on the faster surfaces.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #8 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
SWOOP!
 
Mother_Marjorie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,444
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
There are just so many flaws in that first posts that I don't know where to start.
She knew what she wanted to do in 2006 before the year started.

You're implying that Justine all of a sudden decided to just talk with her court play after the negative incident at the Australian Open.
That is just not true.

She did make it to the finals of Wimbledon.
Noone ever said she couldn't do it. She's been there before.
It's the final step of winning it that most critics are doubtful with.
I even made a thread last year about Justine never winning Wimbledon unless she deals with her flaws.
She is still not serving as well as she should on grass and she's paid for it in the final.

I give her credit for working on a more consistent serve over the summer but she has had even more issues with her serve now than before.

I give her credit for winning on what could be considered her weakest surface, indoors.

Her net play continues to get better.
Her approach shots are one of the best on tour.

Those things will help her in the future but Justine's first serve percentage cost her two slams this year on the faster surfaces.
Knowing that you are one of Justine's biggest critics, and speaking of "flaws" you failed to answer a question in an earlier thread that just BEGS to be dealt with:

http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php...21&postcount=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
Mauresmo is 27. Justine has only confirmed two more years.It could be a good rivalry but because of age and wear and tear of the tour, it will never be a great rivalry.
You know, that's the second time today you've made the statement that Justine has confirmed playing only two more years. As if you are attempting to make "retirement" an issue already for Justine.

So before you begin pedaling an early retirement issue for Justine (not shocked), let's see the quoted links where Justine states she ONLY intends on playing for two more years and why.
Mother_Marjorie is offline  
post #9 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
SWOOP!
 
Mother_Marjorie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,444
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post
It's the final step of winning it that most critics are doubtful with.
I think the 2006 French Open win without losing a set should have shut-up those critics. Especially after the YEC blowout win today.

And considering Justine is the ONLY player of this generation to win a grand slam event four years running pretty much robs the critics of their credibility in regards to Justine's ability to win at the majors. She still has a winning percentage in grand slam finals. 5/9.

Your assertion is just plain false.
Mother_Marjorie is offline  
post #10 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swami_Marjorie View Post
Knowing that you are one of Justine's biggest critics, and speaking of "flaws" you failed to answer a question in an earlier thread that just BEGS to be dealt with:

http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php...21&postcount=6



You know, that's the second time today you've made the statement that Justine has confirmed playing only two more years. As if you are attempting to make "retirement" an issue already for Justine.

So before you begin pedaling an early retirement issue for Justine (not shocked), let's see the quoted links where Justine states she ONLY intends on playing for two more years and why.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.p...two+more+years

I'm not making it an issue but if you haven't noticed once it is said that player can never take it back.
Lindsay has said herself she regrets saying it.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #11 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Senior Member
 
terjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,597
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swami_Marjorie View Post
I needed to get this off my chest, because I felt as though it needed to be said.

Now that the 2006 WTA Season is complete and the women have let their racquets speak for themselves, I think it is very appropriate to revisit the lynching of Justine Henin-Hardenne in January 2006 and her reply to the tennis world this season.

Never before in the Open Era has any player recieved such criticism over an injury withdrawl from a Grand Slam tournament as Justine Henin-Hardenne did at the 2006 Australian Open Finals. She was ingesting anti-inflammatory medication for a shoulder injury when she began cramping during the AO finals. Justine retired during that match because she couldn't distinguish between the cramping from the medication she was taking, or an abdominal injury.

As a result, she was overly and harshly criticized by other WTA players, the sports media, tennis columnists and commentators. It was a modern-day lynching of a tennis player that was steadfast in her defense, which she believed.

Some said she retired because she knew she was losing badly, completely ignoring the fact that Justine is the biggest fighter in the WTA. Some said she was attempting to "take away Amelie's moment" of winning her first grand slam title, ignoring the fact Justine had never before or since retired from a Grand Slam final. Some even said as a result of her withdrawl during the AO final, Justine would never again be able to win a Grand Slam tournament, that she would be mentally beaten by her withdrawl, ignoring Justine's canny ability to fight back from a virus, the death of her mother and reptitive injuries.

Justine's response? The truth. And if Justine wasn't being honest about her withdrawl, she might well have been mentally beaten, to the point of not being able to perform well in the majors and other tournaments. However, Justine didn't fight back with words, she used her racquet.

The next grand slam tournament, French Open, she won without dropping a set, and put her in a position to be only the third woman in tennis history to win three French Open Championships in a row. Her win even prompted an apology from Pam Shriver who questioned Justine's withdrawl from the AO finals. Her critics said it was to be expected that Justine would win on a slower surface. She brought children battling cancer that participated in her Circle of Winners to watch her in that final, and the upcoming Wimbledon Championships.

Next, she made it to the finals of Wimbledon, of which she lost once again to Amelie, but it was 6-4 in the third. Many said Justine couldn't play well on a fast surface. She once again proved them wrong by winning a grass-court tune up to Wimbledon.

Then, she makes it to the finals of the US Open, a fast hardcourt tournament and was soundly defeated by Maria.

Justine made it to the finals of all four Grand Slam tournaments, winning one. She made it to the finals of Fed Cup, winning all of her indoor matches. She won on all four surfaces, including the YEC of which she soundly defeated Amelie and regained the #1 ranking. She had the best record of any player, won more tournaments than any other WTA player and became the first player since Seles to make it to the finals of all GS tournaments and the YEC.

It is obvious that Justine sent a strong message to the tennis world and all that cruely admonished her in January of 2006. She is not only the best fighter in the WTA, but ended the year the best player in the WTA and the YEC, defeating the woman whose GS final in January stirred animosity towards Justine.

It always appeared as if Justine was out to prove something this year. Not only to herself, but to the tennis world that easily and without a thought, attempted to cast her into the depths of tennis hell. She did this without negatively talking about it...rather, she used her tennis to prove otherwise.

Not only did Justine throw every word of negativity about her in Janurary back in the faces of the tennis world, but used their negativity to rise to the top of the tennis world and #1 ranking for 2006. Not only did she prove that she was the best in 2006, but that she isn't going away anytime soon.

The irony is startling. Justine had the last laugh. And so did her fans

allez!
First of all let me just say that as someone who doesn't particularly like Justine I was one of the few ppl here who thought her treatment and what was posted here over her AO withdrawal was outrageous. If you don't believe me - I did PM Lady to express my sympathy. I mean just how can anyone here know what she was suffering?

But I'm not all sweetness and light to Justine. I was pretty annoyed that she couldn't even make herself available in an emergency for one match in the Fed Cup semis. And I do mean only in an emergency. Seeing her at Wimbledon I'm damned sure if she'd needed to play one more match there - she would have. And don't compare with Kim. Justine didn't injure herself at Wimbledon like with Kim at Canada during a match at that tournament for all to see.

So whereas Justine and Kim got Belgium to the semis, no - she did not made it to the Fed Cup final. Kim and Flipper made it to the Fed Cup finals for her.

Other than that - I agree with everything else you say.

Last edited by terjw; Nov 13th, 2006 at 12:00 AM.
terjw is offline  
post #12 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swami_Marjorie View Post
I think the 2006 French Open win without losing a set should have shut-up those critics. Especially after the YEC blowout win today.

And considering Justine is the ONLY player of this generation to win a grand slam event four years running pretty much robs the critics of their credibility in regards to Justine's ability to win at the majors. She still has a winning percentage in grand slam finals. 5/9.

Your assertion is just plain false.
I think everyone has considered Justine the favorite at the French Open since she won it the first time.
She played over half of her matches in three sets on clay in 2005.
She was exhausted by the grass season.

She made an adjustment this year but her draw in 2005 was definately a lot tougher than the one she had this year.

You really think that since Justine is able to win 2 straight French Opens in the 4 years she's won that her critics are robbed?

All I have to do is look at your avatar to see that's not true.
Chris Evert was the queen of clay in her own times which lead to her usually ending up with one slam a year.
If you would ask her which player is the best to ever play the game, she would not say herself, she would say Steffi Graf, a player who was able to consistently win slams without having to depend on winning one on just one surface every year.
So there's room for criticism, believe me there is.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #13 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

Justine pulled a "Sicky" at the Austrailan Open this year...we all know it and so does she
this is me is offline  
post #14 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Senior Member
 
gladysharon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 959
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

WOW Thank You!!...This can be a great article in tribute to Justine!! I like it!

And yes, she has been misunderstood by others, and sadly on this board or off, there still is.

They dont deserve explanations, cos they continue to be ignorant and insensitive. They may think they are not that, but apparently they showed this immaturity that continues to dislike or even hate a player they refuse to learn to understand.

Sad.

Justine Henin

A fighting spirit,
a tower of strength to be reckoned with!
gladysharon is offline  
post #15 of 167 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Justine Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,554
                     
Re: The Irony of Justine's 2006 Lynching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall View Post

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.p...two+more+years

I'm not making it an issue but if you haven't noticed once it is said that player can never take it back.
Lindsay has said herself she regrets saying it.
Yes I read that post and it still doesn't say that she has confirmed that she is retiring in 2 years.

She said "I THINK I will play for 2 more years". She didn't say I will be retiring in 2 more years.

Since when does the word "think" translate into a confirmation of a situation?

So if I were to say to you "I think I'll go to the movies tonight", does it mean I will definitely go? No, it means I'm thinking about it.



Last edited by The Crow; Nov 13th, 2006 at 09:41 AM.
Justine Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome