The Tennis Channel - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
The Tennis Channel

I'm finally getting hooked up with a satellite service that carries it, and noticed on the Tennis Channel schedule that they're not televising anything prior to the semis. For those of you who have it, is this the norm for them with the big tournaments like the majors and the WTA/ATP championships?

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Chriskip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,749
                     
Re: The Tennis Channel

That station isnt all its cracked up to be in my opinion. They dont show a lot of live matches and the matches they do show they repeat over and over and over and over again, even in a short period of time. They are a letdown to me.
Chriskip is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,303
                     
Re: The Tennis Channel

No, this is unusual, I remember a couple of years ago in L.A., they were showing the RR matches because the stands were even more depleted and emtpy than even in the final and semis. There was a guy in a goofy hat who literally looked homeless, and I was wondering if they were giving tickets out like on the street trying to fill it up.
They are good about showing doubles, though, which you'll never get on ESPN.

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Writer of Stuff
 
No.Brains.Atoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,756
                     
Re: The Tennis Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
I'm finally getting hooked up with a satellite service that carries it, and noticed on the Tennis Channel schedule that they're not televising anything prior to the semis. For those of you who have it, is this the norm for them with the big tournaments like the majors and the WTA/ATP championships?

Semis of what?

The WTA Championships singles are on the Versus network. TTC has the semis and final for the doubles.

And yes, TTC, when it does carry WTA tournaments, usually only has the SF and F, though at the recent Linz tournament, they also showed three of the QF matches.

I keep hoping that TTC will eventually outgrow its infancy and start coming up with enough programming that they don't have to resort to replaying stuff over and over, but in the year and a half I have subscribed to it, there haven't been any changes.

Heck--I wish they'd show more "vintage" matches, rather than replaying Center Court and those other shows a dozen times or more.
No.Brains.Atoll is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,303
                     
Re: The Tennis Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Masha View Post
Semis of what?

The WTA Championships singles are on the Versus network. TTC has the semis and final for the doubles.

And yes, TTC, when it does carry WTA tournaments, usually only has the SF and F, though at the recent Linz tournament, they also showed three of the QF matches.
GREAT name and avatar!!!!!

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Writer of Stuff
 
No.Brains.Atoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,756
                     
Re: The Tennis Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
GREAT name and avatar!!!!!

No.Brains.Atoll is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,894
                     
Re: The Tennis Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Masha View Post
Semis of what?

The WTA Championships singles are on the Versus network. TTC has the semis and final for the doubles.

And yes, TTC, when it does carry WTA tournaments, usually only has the SF and F, though at the recent Linz tournament, they also showed three of the QF matches.

I keep hoping that TTC will eventually outgrow its infancy and start coming up with enough programming that they don't have to resort to replaying stuff over and over, but in the year and a half I have subscribed to it, there haven't been any changes.

Heck--I wish they'd show more "vintage" matches, rather than replaying Center Court and those other shows a dozen times or more.

They are showing

Live so that when you are gone, it would have mattered---- Betty Feezor
trivfun is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,303
                     
Re: The Tennis Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskip View Post
That station isnt all its cracked up to be in my opinion. They dont show a lot of live matches and the matches they do show they repeat over and over and over and over again, even in a short period of time. They are a letdown to me.
It's gotten a lot better in the last couple of years and at least you can see a lot of the European indoor tournaments and the pre-French clay ones. But it's obvious they're calling it in a studio in New York based on feed from Eurosport or something. They have no control over the shots and cameras at all, and you can tell when someone famous in Europe but unknown to Americans is in the audience because the camera people are constantly showing that person, and it's like, who the hell is that?

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Writer of Stuff
 
No.Brains.Atoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,756
                     
Re: The Tennis Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
They have no control over the shots and cameras at all, and you can tell when someone famous in Europe but unknown to Americans is in the audience because the camera people are constantly showing that person, and it's like, who the hell is that?
I know! I thought I was the only one who was wondering.

Not to mention that Leif Shiras and Katrina Adams aren't the most scintillating broadcasting duo around. They are competent, but sometimes it's hard to stay awake listening to them.
No.Brains.Atoll is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,303
                     
Re: The Tennis Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Masha View Post
I know! I thought I was the only one who was wondering.

Not to mention that Leif Shiras and Katrina Adams aren't the most scintillating broadcasting duo around. They are competent, but sometimes it's hard to stay awake listening to them.
I have a soft spot for Kat, but she and the other guy are kind of dull. I love her "Kat's Keys to the Match" or whatever. It's always like "get first serve in, return well," like that isn't every player's keys to winning a match?

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,242
                     
Re: The Tennis Channel

The ATP Master Events are probably the best coverage on TTC. They show round 1 to the finals, basically every match all day.

Wish they did that with the bigger women's tournaments.
tae04 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome