Philadelphia? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
supergrunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,589
                     
Philadelphia?

Excuse my ignorance but what happened to this tourney ?
supergrunt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,467
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

It died.
njnetswill is online now  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 02:38 AM
A Young Troubadour.
 
Cat's Pajamas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: With Kristy Lee.
Posts: 16,367
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

Serena sat on it.

Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
Cat's Pajamas is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
supergrunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,589
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

Can I have a serious response . I asked a serious question (for once ) .
supergrunt is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Senior Member
 
MH0861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,329
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

It was only used as a YEC warmup, and since the YECs moved from LA to Madrid, there's no need for it anymore.
MH0861 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Senior Member
 
RJWCapriati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 9,094
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

So I'm guessing since the tournament has been disolved.....All who played the tourney last year won't have a chance to defend those points.....therefore Mauresmo will be losing all the points she got last year from there?



Follow me on twitter @RandyWhite89
RJWCapriati is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Senior Member
 
slk45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,563
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

Last year was the final year for the Advanta Championships, basically because the YEC moved to Madrid. Players will lose their Philadelphia points unless they "defend" by playing Hasselt or Quebec, which are Tier 3 (Philly was Tier 2).

See this link for a description of the final between Mauresmo & Dementieva:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/n.../?ContentID=30

It would be nice if they could revive the tournament at an earlier time. The Acura Classic will be gone after 2007, so maybe they could fill in the void.


Now obvious to all: wherever he goes, Obama is the least competent man in the room.

Lena's Official Exclusive Personal Masseur onboard the S.S. Dementieva

LENA - OLYMPIC GOLD BEPA - OLYMPIC BRONZE

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ya-Lena3-2.jpg
slk45 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Slumpsova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: home
Posts: 15,012
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

i don't think any top players would bother to fly to Philly as long as YEC is held in Europe.
Slumpsova is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
MikeJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 923
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH0861 View Post
It was only used as a YEC warmup, and since the YECs moved from LA to Madrid, there's no need for it anymore.
EXACTOMUNDO
MikeJones is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Senior Member
 
ioni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,854
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat's Pajamas View Post
Serena sat on it.
ioni is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Eclipsed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 11,509
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

It doesn't make sense to have this tournament anymore because none of the top players would show up because of the YEC being in Spain now.

I went to this tournament every year since it's been back(2003). It could also be of poor attendence. The Pavilion was never packed any year that I went. So maybe financially they can't run the tournament anymore.

Venus "Goddess" Williams


Lindsay Lee-Waters | Mary Pierce | Serena Williams | Elena Bovina | Jelena Dokic
Eclipsed is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mayfield
Posts: 16,679
                     
Unhappy Re: Philadelphia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.A.S. Power View Post
It doesn't make sense to have this tournament anymore because none of the top players would show up because of the YEC being in Spain now.

I went to this tournament every year since it's been back(2003). It could also be of poor attendence. The Pavilion was never packed any year that I went. So maybe financially they can't run the tournament anymore.
I disagree. They had quite a decent crowd in the early rounds, especially in comparison with many other WTA events, and they never lacked for sponsors. It was a successful and popular event, and it used to attract a lot of top players; Graf, Hingis, Capriati, Davenport, and most of the others all played here. It's a shame, but I don't think it'll ever be back, especially since they really want to shorten the season.
auntie janie is online now  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
 
LH2HBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,071
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat's Pajamas View Post
Serena sat on it.

Мари́я Ю́рьевна Шара́пова​ , Јелена Јанковић, Venus Williams.
LH2HBH is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Member
 
FrenchY52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,839
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat's Pajamas View Post
Serena sat on it.

T. Golovin
FrenchY52 is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
:inlove:'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: S.W.19
Posts: 14,048
                     
Re: Philadelphia?

Only ugly people went and watched matches there. Seriously. They were quite hideous, apart from V.A.S. Power of course.
:inlove: is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome