WTA Smackdown, Will It Be Momo, Juju, or Masha Year End Ranked #1?
Who is more likely to be the Year End #1 Ranked WTA Player in 2006?
According to Justine's Website, here are the possible scenarios:
1. If Justine is a finalist at Madrid she will be number 1. (still possible)
2. If Justine is a semi-finalist in Madrid.(still possible)
a. Mauresmo must win Madrid and Zurich to remain number 1. (ruled out)
b. In order for Maria to become number 1 she must win Madrid and Zurich, and reach the semi-finals in Linz or win Madrid and Linz, but must reach the finals in Zurich. (still possible)
3. If Justine finishes third in her round robin group in Madrid. (still possible)
a. Mauresmo must win Madrid, and make the semi-finals in Zurich to remain number 1 or she must win Zurich and be a finalist in Madrid. (ruled out)
b. Sharapova must be a finalist in Madrid, win Zurich and be a finalist in Linz or she must win Madrid and have results that are better than the semi's in Zurich and Linz to become number 1. (still possible)
4. If Justine were to finish last in her round robin group in Madrid. Mauresmo, and Maria must be finalists in Sony Ericsson WTA Championships to earn enough points to become this year's number 1 player.(still possible)
5. If Justine doesn't participate in Madrid. Mauresmo and Maria will only need to make the semi-finals in Madrid to accumulate enough points to become number 1.(still possible)
Bottom line, if Justine shows up to play at Madrid, it may be difficult for Maria and Amelie to end the year at #1.
Mauresmo's only hope is if Justine doesn't show and Mauresmo makes it to the finals in Madrid, or Justine places last in her group and Mauresmo makes it to the finals. (highly unlikely)
Maria's chances are a little better than Mauresmo's, but not by much. Maria needs a semi-final or better showing in Linz, or it could severely diminshes her chances unless Justine doesn't show in Madrid
Last edited by Mother_Marjorie; Oct 23rd, 2006 at 02:52 PM.