Sharapova - 11th Victory In a Row? - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 49
                     
Sharapova - 11th Victory In a Row?

One of the headlines on the home page of the WTA Tour website is "Maria Keeps Streak Alive". They go on to say that Maria has won 11 matches in a row. Do people agree with that statement? I don't. Maria lost to Chakvetadze in Moscow. Doesn't matter if it was a 3 set thriller, a retirement by injury, or a walkover (i.e. she was afraid to play Chakvetadze). Maria lost to Anna Chakvetadze in Moscow. If you look at the head-to-head records on the WTA website. They list the Moscow 'w/o' as a victory for Anna.
Go_Ruskies is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Ruskies
One of the headlines on the home page of the WTA Tour website is "Maria Keeps Streak Alive". They go on to say that Maria has won 11 matches in a row. Do people agree with that statement? I don't. Maria lost to Chakvetadze in Moscow. Doesn't matter if it was a 3 set thriller, a retirement by injury, or a walkover (i.e. she was afraid to play Chakvetadze). Maria lost to Anna Chakvetadze in Moscow. If you look at the head-to-head records on the WTA website. They list the Moscow 'w/o' as a victory for Anna.

Wrong.

Walkovers do not count as a loss (or as a win for the beneficiary).
vogus is offline  
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,661
                     
Sharapova did not play Chakvetadze in Moscow, therefore could not have lost to her
Taz Warrior is offline  
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
LH2HBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,071
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus
Wrong.

Walkovers do not count as a loss (or as a win for the beneficiary).

for once Vogus, we agree

Мари́я Ю́рьевна Шара́пова​ , Јелена Јанковић, Venus Williams.
LH2HBH is offline  
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 207
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus
Wrong.

Walkovers do not count as a loss (or as a win for the beneficiary).
they count in head to head... but i agree it shouldn't be treated as a loss since there was actually no 'real' match..
einna is offline  
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Slumpsova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: home
Posts: 15,012
                     
she got cold feet in Moscow, that's why her winning streak is still on.
Slumpsova is offline  
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:09 PM
Writer of Stuff
 
No.Brains.Atoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,756
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna
she got cold feet in Moscow, that's why her winning streak is still on.

LOL.

Yeah, she was afraid of multiple GS winner Chakvetadze...

No.Brains.Atoll is offline  
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:14 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Lunaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bojov <---> Prague
Posts: 7,247
                     
There will be no 12th anyways.

Suicide Tennis: Amelia Island 2008
Lunaris is offline  
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 22,300
                     
scared of lil ol anna c? you gotta be kidding me. the bitch just slapped justine and amelie around the court at the us open, and you think she's afraid of some mini flashbulb?
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
crazyroberto6767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,073
                     
How exactly does it help the situation to make fun of Chakvetadze ? And yes, Maria has a win-streak of 11.

Martina/Serena/Venus/Monica

Lindsay*ElenaD*Milagros*Mary*Svetlana*Nuria*
Mashona*Dinara*Laura*Chrissie*VeraD*JelenaD*Lucie*

Ana*Sania*Shuai*Katarina*Nadia*Chanda*Ai*
crazyroberto6767 is offline  
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 08:14 PM
Senior Member
 
bellascarlett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 9,129
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyroberto6767
How exactly does it help the situation to make fun of Chakvetadze ? And yes, Maria has a win-streak of 11.
what doesn't help are people trying to bring down maria every chance they get even at the expense of sounding stupid.

nobody was making fun of chakvetadze per se. the initial dumb statements made set up the situation where people responding could then indirectly target anna.

Maria Sharapova
bellascarlett is offline  
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Maria Croft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 10,657
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by einna
they count in head to head... but i agree it shouldn't be treated as a loss since there was actually no 'real' match..
Actually, they don't count in H2H either.

Maria Sharapova: Career Slam


Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline  
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 08:42 PM
Senior Member
 
crazyroberto6767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,073
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellascarlett
what doesn't help are people trying to bring down maria every chance they get even at the expense of sounding stupid.

nobody was making fun of chakvetadze per se. the initial dumb statements made set up the situation where people responding could then indirectly target anna.
People can't ignore people who make fun of their favorites? No one's in the right here, but it definitely does not help to add fire to the situation. And yes, they were making fun of Anna. If people need to insult someone because of something they said, at least insult the person, not that person's favorite.

Martina/Serena/Venus/Monica

Lindsay*ElenaD*Milagros*Mary*Svetlana*Nuria*
Mashona*Dinara*Laura*Chrissie*VeraD*JelenaD*Lucie*

Ana*Sania*Shuai*Katarina*Nadia*Chanda*Ai*
crazyroberto6767 is offline  
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
bellascarlett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 9,129
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyroberto6767
People can't ignore people who make fun of their favorites? No one's in the right here, but it definitely does not help to add fire to the situation. And yes, they were making fun of Anna. If people need to insult someone because of something they said, at least insult the person, not that person's favorite.
People can choose to ignore but it is a message board so nobody should be expecting that. I stand by what I said - that no one was making fun of Anna per se. You're being way too sensitive. Insult someone for what they said? Who do you think let out the insults first? (I'd actually say more like negative comments rather than insults.) Some posters are stating/implying that Maria withdrew from Moscow because she was scared of Anna. Others are simply responding to what they think is a stupid assumption. Did they insult a poster's favorite? No. In fact, the poster who said Maria got cold feet doesn't have Anna in his sig. Going by your argument, the ones who defended Maria should have attacked Nicole in this case, the poster's favorite. They merely talked about Anna for the very reason that Anna was the other player mentioned or alluded to in the posts they were responding to.

Anyway, I don't see anything in this thread I don't see in others; so I don't get the point.

Maria Sharapova
bellascarlett is offline  
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by einna
they count in head to head... but i agree it shouldn't be treated as a loss since there was actually no 'real' match..

walkovers are NOT included in either official H2H, or in yearly win-loss records.
vogus is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome