Remember when Justine called Zvonareva the most talented Russian? - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pigam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: belgium
Posts: 7,396
                     
Remember when Justine called Zvonareva the most talented Russian?

i don't know exactly when it was, but it must have been Wimbledon, 3 or 4 years ago.
Of course, there wasn't really anything said about Sharapova in "those days".

It strange how things turn out. Zvonareva isn't a bad player, and in my (and Justine's?) opinion she isn't ranked where she should be.

Why isn't she ranked higher? When I see her play (recently) i still see so much potential!! She is proving it doubles lately .
Her serve is good, she has a sound technique and good footwork, right?
Is it all mental then? any thoughts? Who is coaching her btw??

Come on Vera, proove Justine right

J u s t i n e x p l i c a b l e


Justine: feb. 5, 2007:

"I hung on to tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years. It is something that is in me, it is me."

Last edited by pigam; Oct 20th, 2006 at 10:09 PM.
pigam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Sharakim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,302
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigam
i don't know exactly when it was, but it must have been Wimbledon, 3 or 4 years ago.
Of course, there wasn't really anything said about Sharapova in "those days".

It strange how things turn out. Zvonareva isn't a bad player, but to my (and Justine's?) feelings she isn't ranked where she should be.

Why isn't she ranked higher? When I see her play (recently) i still see so much potential. She is prooving it doubles lately . Her serve is good, she has a sound technique and good footwork, right? is it all mental then? any thoughts? Who is coaching her btw??

Come on Vera, proove Justine right
Vera has the game but not the mental strength to win on the big occasions. That is why she isn't ranked higher, she folds too easily.
Sharakim is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Senior Member
 
jacobruiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,541
                     
When Vera is playing her best and mentally focusing on winning, she can beat almost anyone. And yes, I think that her mentality is her only big problem.

0012..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl




Hillary/Warren 2016!!!!

Bernie Sanders Your legacy lives on!!
jacobruiz is offline  
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pigam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: belgium
Posts: 7,396
                     
But does anyone know: is she working with some kind of mental coach or something?
Seems like so little is known about her!
I mean, even Justine and Serean had some mental issues in the past. You can (at least try to) fix mental issues!

J u s t i n e x p l i c a b l e


Justine: feb. 5, 2007:

"I hung on to tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years. It is something that is in me, it is me."
pigam is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Senior Member
 
LH2HBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,071
                     
She is not ranked higher because she is not winning. It's all mental with Vera, I'm afraid.

Мари́я Ю́рьевна Шара́пова​ , Јелена Јанковић, Venus Williams.
LH2HBH is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:20 PM
King
 
Viktymise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Flux
Posts: 27,796
                     
It was after she beat Vee at RG 03 lots of ppl like JHH, McEnroe and even Tracy Austin were saying Zvonereva is going to be the best Russian, but pretty much all of them like Myskina, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Sharapova and Petrova have all completley passed her because of her bad temper and poor concentration in matches, i think they jumped on the bandwagon alot because she had just beaten Vee at RG in a tight 3 setter when Vee was pretty much the 2nd best player in the world

Grassonkova.
Viktymise is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigam

i don't know exactly when it was, but it must have been Wimbledon, 3 or 4 years ago.
Of course, there wasn't really anything said about Sharapova in "those days".

that's not true, by mid-2003 there was already major Sharapova hype going around.

Vera hasn't really developed any offensive weapons. Neither of her groundstroke sides are a big threat.
vogus is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Zvonareva out of the Russians, still has the best all-court and all-surface game.
She's the only Russian player to have won on grass, clay, indoors, and hard courts other than Myskina and she's willing to come to net.

I still believe she's the most talented Russian.
I think Anna Chakvetadze is catching up very fast though.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 25,252
                     
She is a talented russian, but personally i wouldn't call her the most talented in my books though (no offence). she has a great game with good solid groundstrokes & great footwork but it's just been the mental aspect of her game that has been letting her down.

she displayed promise between 2003-2004 & then she went out of form probably due 2 handling the possible expectations of being in the top 10 for long periods, winning over top players & winning lots of titles. but the injuries played a big part in her downfall as well 2. she's had an up & down year in 2006 but much better than last year. she can break back in the top 10 & stay there for long periods if she improves little kinks in her game & overcomes the mental side of things.
Ben. is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:26 PM
SWOOP!
 
Mother_Marjorie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,444
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall
Zvonareva out of the Russians, still has the best all-court and all-surface game.
She's the only Russian player to have won on grass, clay, indoors, and hard courts other than Myskina and she's willing to come to net.

I still believe she's the most talented Russian.
I think Anna Chakvetadze is catching up very fast though.


Tennis is largely a mental sport. Without a strong mentality, it doesn't matter how "talented" you think they are or how well they play because they will lose.

What seperates the top players from the other several hundred is their ability to stay confident, focused and know they will win. Its called mental toughness. Vera will likely always be a second-tier player in the WTA because she doesn't have the mental toughness of a Svetlana or Maria to break through in the Grand Slam tournaments.

That's why I laugh at statements like yours because its so far beyond the rhelm of reality. Oh, it was a nice touch to include Myskina.
Mother_Marjorie is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swami_Marjorie


Tennis is largely a mental sport. Without a strong mentality, it doesn't matter how "talented" you think they are or how well they play because they will lose.

What seperates the top players from the other several hundred is their ability to stay confident, focused and know they will win. Its called mental toughness. Vera will likely always be a second-tier player in the WTA because she doesn't have the mental toughness of a Svetlana or Maria to break through in the Grand Slam tournaments.

That's why I laugh at statements like yours because its so far beyond the rhelm of reality. Oh, it was a nice touch to include Myskina.
I'll just tell you what you just wrote was the biggest load of bullshit ever.

Players develop at different times and the same thing would have been said about Mauresmo 4 years ago, maybe even last year before the YEC.
You would have been the person saying, oh Mauresmo is talented but she just doesn't have the strong mentality and her winning a slam would have been beyond the "realm of reality".

There were people there who thought otherwise and those fans of Mauresmo are relishing in her great year.

The same could happen to Vera. It's not out of the realm of reality.
She has the game, she continues to work on all parts of herself when it comes to tennis, and she has time.
How about giving her that time before putting her in WTA purgatory, you imprudent &%$@.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 12:17 AM
SWOOP!
 
Mother_Marjorie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,444
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall
I'll just tell you what you just wrote was the biggest load of bullshit ever.

Players develop at different times and the same thing would have been said about Mauresmo 4 years ago, maybe even last year before the YEC.
You would have been the person saying, oh Mauresmo is talented but she just doesn't have the strong mentality and her winning a slam would have been beyond the "realm of reality".

There were people there who thought otherwise and those fans of Mauresmo are relishing in her great year.

The same could happen to Vera. It's not out of the realm of reality.
She has the game, she continues to work on all parts of herself when it comes to tennis, and she has time.
How about giving her that time before putting her in WTA purgatory, you imprudent &%$@.
Reality:

In 2006, Vera lost in the first round of the Australian Open (hardcourt), French Open (clay), Wimbledon (grass) and made it to the third round of the US Open (hardcourt).

And you call her the most talented Russian?

You obviously have never played the sport of tennis on any competitive level because you would better understand how important the mental aspect of tennis is on a professional level. Every teaching professional, ex-pro and current pro understands how confidence and mental toughness translates on court. You obviously do not.

Roscoe Tanner had the biggest serve of his generation but was never a real threat to win GS titles.

Hana Mandlikova was touted as highly "talented" but never put a dent in the careers of Evert-Navratilova.

When you are mentally tough, you don't lose in the first round of three Grand Slam tournaments in a row. Talented individuals don't do that. And at 22, if you haven't already begun to chip away at those personal demons and start beating the "big" girls consistently, its not gonna happen.
Mother_Marjorie is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 12:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swami_Marjorie
Reality:

In 2006, Vera lost in the first round of the Australian Open (hardcourt), French Open (clay), Wimbledon (grass) and made it to the third round of the US Open (hardcourt).

And you call her the most talented Russian?

You obviously have never played the sport of tennis on any competitive level because you would better understand how important the mental aspect of tennis is on a professional level. Every teaching professional, ex-pro and current pro understands how confidence and mental toughness translates on court. You obviously do not.

Roscoe Tanner had the biggest serve of his generation but was never a real threat to win GS titles.

Hana Mandlikova was touted as highly "talented" but never put a dent in the careers of Evert-Navratilova.

When you are mentally tough, you don't lose in the first round of three Grand Slam tournaments in a row. Talented individuals don't do that. And at 22, if you haven't already begun to chip away at those personal demons and start beating the "big" girls consistently, its not gonna happen.
Reality:
She played Martina Hingis, Dinara Safina, and Kim Clijsters in her first round defeats at the slams this year, all top ten players at this moment.

If any top ten player had to play those three in the first round, they would lose at least two of those matches.

Where was Mauresmo at 22?
I will tell you.
She was coming back into the top 10 after leaving for over a year.

So is it ok for Vera to possibly turn 23 before coming in here with the know it all doom and gloom bullshit. Seriously.

You act like it can't happen when the right there Mauresmo is in your face as proof.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 01:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall

I'll just tell you what you just wrote was the biggest load of bullshit ever.

no, the biggest load of bullshit ever was when you said that all a player has to do to beat Kim Clisters is to start rushing the net on every point.
vogus is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 02:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus
no, the biggest load of bullshit ever was when you said that all a player has to do to beat Kim Clisters is to start rushing the net on every point.
OMG. You are such a bad fucking liar.
I never ever said that.
Finishing the point off at net every chance you get and rushing the net on every point are two entirely different things.

One denotes a player like Nadia Petrova (a baseliner with a good enough net game) when she's on her game and the other denotes a player who is a pure serve and volleyer which there are none of those on the women's circuit these days, only Lisa Raymond comes close.

Example:
If Lindsay would have actually continued to finish off points at net and not get indecisive in the 2005 Pacific Life, that match would have been different.
She did do it at the 2005 Wimbledon against Kim and guess what she won.

I think even a dumbass like you could see the difference between the two matches.
So STFU.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome