I'll begin by saying that 1999 was one of the most enjoyable and fun tennis seasons ever for me. I'm only talking about the women here. The tennis was good but the controversies and "catty remarks" between the players really made the matches more interesting.
Let's go back to some incidences here.
AO: Hingis/Davenport comments towards Mauresmo
FO: Hingis boilover/the finals controversy
Wimbledon: Stevenson controversy with her mom and dad etc... Graf/Davenport final was very cold.
US Open: Verbal fights thrown between Hingis and Serena and them eventually meeting in a memorable final.
Chase: Lindsay snubbing tribute to Steffi
Those were just some there were heaps and heaps more and I loved every moment of it.
- Martina Hingis is just too nice or she just doesn't speak up anymore (Aside from the fact she's injured)
- Venus and Serena are just happy winning matches and been diplomatic
- Lindsay is always injured. She was always nice but she can be catty sometimes, which she's not anymore.
- The Belgians are too nice to ever create controversy like this. They are kinda boring.
- Monica! I wish the teenage Monica was back.
So we're left with Jen and her comments. This is not interesting at all. For one, the only person who responded back to her in any way whatsoever is Richard Williams. Are the controversial days on the WTA over for good? Or will we yet see some "real" action in the future?
With that I would just like to add that a couple of years ago the WTA took real pride in their "personalities" on tour. I wonder if some of these are fading already.