Funny Quotes & Acts - By WTA Players
1. How about when Venus went to grab a quick drink of water between points at the 2000 Wimby quarterfinal match against Hingis? I thought Chrissy was going to have a fit.
2. How about when Martina went around the net in her infamous match against Steffi in the fianls at the FO 1999? I was cracking up as Martina crossed and went to check the spot.
3. How about when Serena was upset at Wimby last year in trying to explain to the chair Ump that she had to throw-up? It was a tense time - but I had to laugh at her afterwards.
4. How about that match where Davy tried to catch the ball and she kept missing it until, she had to slouch her shoulders when she realized she wasn't going to catch that dog dratted ball?
5. How about when Monica was set to return from the wrong side?
6. And we all remember the infamous bead incident - where Venus yelled out that she didn't intentionally attempt to lose a bead - doggoneit.
I had a couple of more - but I can't remember them at the moment.
Saturday, June 8, 2002
Shopping trips, design classes, Serena's outfits, home decor, World Cup matches and university degrees. We pick singles runner-up Venus Williams' most quotable quotes this tournament.
I didn't have as many classes in the fall. Normally I had six classes. This to time I only had two, that helped a lot. I had time to practice. I think that will help a lot.
- on why she's playing better earlier on in the year
Actually, it was just doing layouts and presentations, designing clothes on the computer. I like that one much better. Of course, you have to know how to manipulate patterns. But, yeah, I'm lazy. I like to click on the computer and get it done like that (smiling). I suppose I won't be a couturier.
- on which design course she likes better
I would. I love it. I love the socks. I've seen the socks. I've seen the top.
- on whether she would wear sister Serena's colourful Cameroon tennis outfit
No. Not really into shopping anymore. I really quit since the US Open. I don't need it. I've got a new passion. Home décor. I don't need any more clothes. I really wouldn't have anywhere to put them.
- on whether she's made any shopping trips in Paris yet
I have a problem with cutlery. There's so many kinds out there. This will go on the breakfast table. This will be for my sitting room. Before you know it, you've got into a world of trouble. I've since been able to cut back. I realize I don't need all those forks and spoons.
- on her new passion
I think we pretty much finished doing our house a few years ago. This year I noticed we didn't really have any plates. We had some plates but not really nice ones. I could upgrade, so I did. I had fun doing it.
- on whether her and Serena split the decorating of their house
I've been enjoying my practices. Sometimes I'm a little lazy as of late because after so many years of practice, it can get a little boring at times.
- on what gives her most joy in tennis
So it was nice to be there and actually see students, people that I want to be like - as opposed to maybe people that would like to be like me, but I wanted to be like them.
- on her visit to Howard University, where she received an honorary degree
I speak to a lot of people. I think surely I'd be a struggling college student, fighting for the next Cup of Noodles. At least I can fight for the next fillet mignon here.
- on her opinion that she'd be a struggling college student if it weren't for her father
I've tried everything, but not everything has worked out the way I'd like. I'm sure one day I'll speak hopefully a few languages.
- on whether she's learnt any languages
The other day I went to the Roland Garros shops, I had two guards helping me so I could pick a couple souvenirs. That was nice... The other day I forgot my pass. I had to show my passport so the guy would believe that it was me.
- on tournament security
Oh, Lord. We went to school. I got that tendonitis, I couldn't type anymore. We were always at least two weeks beyond the printing date (laughter)... It was fun while it lasted. I don't know. We should hire someone to type for us.
- on the demise of her and Serena's regular tennis newsletter
I've always admired your work because in writing class I had to work so hard. I always thought I did pretty good. But the teachers always found something wrong with my essays.
- on whether she sympathises with journalists
I always try to at least think that I'm smarter and better. If I'm not, find out why I'm not.
- her tactics on clay
Well, I watch mostly the tennis. I don't really think I understand the rules of soccer, so that makes it more difficult to watch.
- on whether she has an interest in World Cup soccer
It's definitely fashion forward.
- Serena's dress
What happens is that the lunch lines are not as long, locker rooms not as busy, the massage schedule opens up, things like that. The practice court schedule, get in a little easier. This is the privilege of sticking around, really fighting to this last part of the week.
- on the benefits of making it past the first week of a Slam
More than anything, I get even more serious and focused. I become a different person. So I can kind of feel that happening now. I just try to lay low.
- how getting to the last four in a Slam affects her mentally
Actually, no, you can't talk to her that much because she's so serious and hardly ever leaves her hotel room, only to eat. If she can, she'll have her food brought to her. She just reads books, concentrates. You can't get her to smile that much. That's Venus.
- On 'French Venus', who surfaced for the first time here this year in the semis
Not really because I do a lot of studying when I'm off the court. I have like work to do.
- on whether she's done any sightseeing in Paris
Interior design is something that I could possibly do more of now because with fashion design, it's such a competitive business. Interior design is also, but at least I could open my own firm at home and watch over it.
- life after tennis?
No. Come on. They do have the replicas for sale there. I guess they're plastic. I'm not sure what they are.
- on whether she posed with Venus De Milo at the Louvre
Actually, I come from a family of jokers. My dad, me, Serena, my brother, we just joke all day.
- fun in the family
Yeah, for sure. I think more than anything, though, it just means that we've reached the best of our profession, which is what we always have achieved to do, is to be the best at what we do because we take pride in what we do. Actually, I'd like to stay No1, but I'd like to see Serena No1 also. I'm not giving it up, but I'm sure she'll get there.
- on the nice part of being No1 and No2
Not really relief. I don't feel there was any stress. I mean, we live a great life, have great opportunities that most people don't have. So when I get out there and play my matches, most times I try to enjoy it because of that.
- on whether she's relieved that her father's prediction has come true
Sure, I thought he was right because I believe in my dad, and my mom.
- on whether she believed her father's prediction when he made it
I wanted to do better here because I was starting to think that I had maybe a jinx at this tournament.