Favourites for the us open
here are mine: i thought this thread would be interesting!
1. kim clijsters: i really believe she is the one to beat on a hardcourt at the moment she may have been in dissapointing form as of this year but i saw her play in stanford and she seems to be near the schorching form which took her to the us open final last year, really id say shes my favourite to win it.
2. maria sharapova: this might be a surprise to some people but i really believe maria is in with a great chance. last year she cam into the us open with her pec muscle injury and hardly any match practice but yet she got to the semis and took the in form player kim to 3 sets. the last time maria was injury free according to herself was indian wells were she played excellent tennis, and i believe with some good match practice and following that some confidence maria can be a real threat at this years flushing meadows. also i feel maria is desperatew to beat one of the players in the top 3 who she has a bad record against, i blelieve is she plays herself into form and stays injury free by the end of this year she will have beaten one of the top 3, and i think where else is a better start than the us open. she has a better chance to beat amelie on the fast hardcourts as the ball is not as suseptable to slice and all the spins she puts on the ball, and also she has a better chance with justine on a faster surface so who knows....
3. justine henin hardenne: shes my 3rd fav as i think if she stays injury free unlike last year she could do some damage althought the reason why shes not my fav is because although she has won here before i think she might get beaten by a kim or even maria on this surface. she lost last year to pierce (who may also be a slight contender well have to see how her comeback goes this week though!) i just have a feeling that justine is going to be injured i dont know why i just dont see her doing that well here maybe its because she lost to pierce last year, even though she was injured and all i just dont see her doing that well but saying all that i still give her as my 3rd favourite to win the us open.
4. one of the williams sisters: i know im putting two into one here but you just never know with these girls one of them might go far and then maybe both of them will lose early on, with injuries and irregular appearances to tournies i really dont what might happen but ive put either of them as my 4ht fav as you can never count them out! and also they have dont very well in the past! lets see if they really are serious about tennis at this years flushing meadows well soon find out!
5. amelie mauresmo: i feel bad putting her 5th on my list as she surprises me by winning wimby this year, and she is the number 1 player in the world, but this isnt her best surface as her mixture of shots dont work as well on this surface as on a slower court or as on a grass court where her variety is maxamised to the full. she doesnt have the bnest of records here either and i feel she might have a better chance of being over powered on this surface. also i feel if there was a rematch between amelie and sharapova maria will have learnt her lesson and on the quick hardcourts she will have a better chance of beating her. for some reason i see her losing to one of the up coming players on the tour, but really im not ssure but after her results this year you cant rule her out. will she shock the tennis world by winning her 3rd grand slam of the year, somehow i dont think so byt you never know with amelie....
6. svetlana kusnetsova: former winner and when on form is a very dangerous player. also she has won here before and so has good memories here in flushing meadows. she seems to be getting out of the slump she was getting into last year although she didnt do too well at wimby and im not sure but i think she pulled out of a tournie with an injury(not sure???) but you cant leave kutzy out, but whether she has the mentality at the moment to win another slam i wouls quaestion but shes done it here once before so i cant think of a better place!
7. lindsay davenport: its a long shot but you never know she might have the dream end to her career by winning her final major at home who knows, when in form ios a force to be reckoned with but her injury troubles have forced me to plummet her to the my 7th fav. im just not sure whtether after her injury she will have the fitness and enough match practice to win this tournie, although she has a good enough record against the top 3 so you never know.... i personally want to see lindsay do well as i miss the good old days when it used to be lindsay maria and amelie in the top 3, aww well i suppose good things dont last forever! but i really do wish lindsay all the best!
8. nadia petrova: has been injured for a while but dominated a lot of the early season albeit there was not many top players in the draws of which she won! (we wont start that debate!) but she could do well here but i question her injury and match practice and also she seems not to do too well at the slams a lot of the time losing to sharapova just like she did last year when she lost in the quater finals to her compatriot, although it was a closelt contested 3rd set match, i have quaestions again with her mentality but i feel she deserves my spot as the 8th fav.
9: elena dementieva: good record here but that serve is a big quaestion.
10: pierce: did well last year but has been hampered by injuries since really.
11: anastaysia myskina: good solid player who seems to be getting back on track.
12: martina hingis: stranger things have happened but im not so sure especially after wimby performance.
13: nicole vaidisova: good baseline game but after watching her semi against kim in stanford i greatly question her mentality and fighting spirit which is necessary if you want to win the us open.
14: tatiana golovin: if she van get out of her slump she impressed me against sharapova in miami.
15: dinara safina: good solid player who might do well.
well thats my top 15 favs sorry if its a bit long! lol
ONE OF THE BEST FIGHTERS IN THE GAME
2004 WIMBLEDON CHAMPION
2006 US OPEN CHAMPION
2008 AUSTRALIAN OPEN CHAMPION
2012 & 2014 FRENCH OPEN CHAMPION
Congrats Maria you proved so many haters and fans that gave up on you wrong
enjoy all the success that comes to you as you deserve it!