has any over-30 player made a successful comeback... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
has any over-30 player made a successful comeback...

...after falling out of the Top 100? Suarez, Capriati, and Rubin have all turned 30 this year.
vogus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Tripp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Argentina
Posts: 7,049
                     
I don't think Paola will be coming back to the top 100 anytime soon, as she's retiring by the end of the year, unless she's changed her mind and I'm not aware of it.

Jennifer? Forget about it, she's not coming back. It'd be cool to have her on the Tour again, but the fact is that she's not healthy enough to play pro tennis anymore.

Chanda could be back in the Top 100, but that's only if she stays healthy enough to play.
Tripp is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:12 AM
Senior Member
 
spiceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 50,455
                     
Kveta Peschke was 1 year and a half gone from the Tour in 2003/2004 and made her comeback with no ranking

After just 14 months (right after her 4th round in Wimbledon 2005) she came back to the top 50 the very same week she turned 30

But I, being poor, have only my dreams
I have spread my dreams under your feet
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
spiceboy is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:13 AM
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,030
                     
If you count doubles, Navratilova would be the benchmark for this.

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70
If you count doubles, Navratilova would be the benchmark for this.

sorry, i meant in singles - obviously a lot tougher than doing it in dubbs.
vogus is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy
Kveta Peschke was 1 year and a half gone from the Tour in 2003/2004 and made her comeback with no ranking

After just 14 months (right after her 4th round in Wimbledon 2005) she came back to the top 50 the very same week she turned 30

i would have said Kveta made her comeback at age 29 but maybe she is the closest example we have got.
vogus is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,063
                     
i guess it depends on what you classify as a successful comeback.
switz is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 45
                     
Jennifer? Forget about it, she's not coming back. It'd be cool to have her on the Tour again, but the fact is that she's not healthy enough to play pro tennis anymore.

thats rather presumptuous of you dont you think? Last time i checked Capriati stil posseses a killer game and tennis ability, and sorry sweety, but that just dont go up in smoke, sore shoulder or no sore shoulder. Yes, she may end up retiring, but dont assume shes gone, because its people like you shes loves to prove wrong.

IF capriati comes back, hunney shes gunning for the top 10, and she will make it there, no worries about that. You honestly think that if Patty Schnyder and her minions can be in the top 10, then Jen cant? Hon, jen is 10 times better than Patty on Patty's best day. And thats when jen is having a "bad day".

Alana.
AlanaStarr is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,063
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanaStarr
Jennifer? Forget about it, she's not coming back. It'd be cool to have her on the Tour again, but the fact is that she's not healthy enough to play pro tennis anymore.

thats rather presumptuous of you dont you think? Last time i checked Capriati stil posseses a killer game and tennis ability, and sorry sweety, but that just dont go up in smoke, sore shoulder or no sore shoulder. Yes, she may end up retiring, but dont assume shes gone, because its people like you shes loves to prove wrong.

IF capriati comes back, hunney shes gunning for the top 10, and she will make it there, no worries about that. You honestly think that if Patty Schnyder and her minions can be in the top 10, then Jen cant? Hon, jen is 10 times better than Patty on Patty's best day. And thats when jen is having a "bad day".

Alana.
hey Trish is back

funny logic considering that Patty has beaten Capriati in straight sets in the semis of tier I when Jen was ranked number 1. So on her worst day she is still 10 times better than Patty despite the fact that she lost in straight sets

nice to be able to shut you down again
switz is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 45
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz
hey Trish is back

funny logic considering that Patty has beaten Capriati in straight sets in the semis of tier I when Jen was ranked number 1. So on her worst day she is still 10 times better than Patty despite the fact that she lost in straight sets

nice to be able to shut you down again
lets not get defensive. Patty is a great player, but im being realistic, Jennifer is the better player, not at all bashing patty.

and monica is my favorite player, jen is my second fave, get your facts straight, "trish"

????
alana
AlanaStarr is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 03:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,063
                     
defensive? i simply countered your flawed assertion that Jen is 10 times better at her worst than Patty at her best

I would never try to argue that Patty is better than Capriati - their records speak for themselves

Just because Patty is top 10 and Jen was better than her is not proof that she could easily come back to the top because the simple fact is that Capriati needs to be fit to compete at that level and she has not been now for a number of years and shows no real signs of ever being again. Patty is one of the fittest players on tour and that's why she's where she is.

You are Trish
switz is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz

hey Trish is back




we think alike switzy because that was my exact thought even before i scrolled down and read your post!

Welcome back sweety, you've been gone for years...
vogus is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz
i guess it depends on what you classify as a successful comeback.

it's not that hard to differentiate between a successful comeback and one that is a flop.

Let's say comes back to Top 30, just for argument sake.
vogus is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 03:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 45
                     
Yes, sure, patty is fit and strong, and, for a number of players, she confuses them with her endless spins and angled slices. She doesnt towever posses any weapon than strikes me as being phenomenal. Certainly none of her shots can be considered a "dictating shot" and so thats why i was saying that Capriati is superior. Capriti has several strong shots at her disposal. You know that im sure.

I just dissagree with your assesment, i feel capriati can make it back to the top. Your point of her not being fit doesnt ring true. Capriati was arguably not very fit when she was making the semi finals of grand slam tournaments and taking serena out in 3 of there 4 encounters. Capriati has never really been in great shape, not in comparison to either William sister, however if she were, we wouldnt be having this discussion, she would still be playing.

As for trish, thanks for the compliment, im in rare company im sure, as ive been told, the "great trish" was quite the firecraker in her day. And her departure left many sad, because she was actutally interesting.

I assure you Im ALOT nicer than her. (unless you mess with me, of course! )

Alana
AlanaStarr is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:15 AM
On tour
 
DutchieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: my own Dutchie world
Posts: 152,978
                     
Maybe Brenda can do it! We'll see.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...10/sheadam.jpg

She & Him @ Melkweg "The Max", Amsterdam 6th May 2010
DutchieGirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome