If Monica Officially Announces Her Retirement, Will Anyone Else Find It Ironic... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,028
                     
If Monica Officially Announces Her Retirement, Will Anyone Else Find It Ironic...

that her retirement will be over-shadowed by Steffi's Graf's husband?



Of course anyone that retires this year will be overshadowed by Andre'...

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!

Last edited by SelesFan70; Jul 7th, 2006 at 07:11 PM.
SelesFan70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Brooklyn90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,018
                     
ur right agassi and navratilova are also retiring so it may overshadow her's, but i hope not
Brooklyn90 is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Talula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,502
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70
that her retirement will be over-shadowed by Steffi's Graf's husband?



Of course anyone that retires will be overshadowed by Andre'...
Yes, awfully so. And just typical of the bad luck Monica seemed to get/attract. Somehow the Gods, fate, nature or whatever you want to call it seemed to conspire against her.

What breaks my heart (as a Mega Monica fan) is that people have already begun to forget about her. Monica has simply evaporated, whereas other ex-players managed to keep their name alive.
Talula is offline  
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Party Headquarters
Posts: 4,312
                     
The difference between Monica and Agassi, is that Monica already hasn't been playing for awhile and so in a lot of people's minds, is already semi-retired. Her official announcement will be somewhat anti-climactic as a result. It's more emotional for Agassi because people know when his last tournament will be. Nobody knew Monica's last tourney would be her final one.
I hope though that Monica's retirement and career gets the kudos and attention it deserves.

0084...Eternal Follower of the Golden Girl
Official Wannabe World Dictator of the Maria Mafia


Ontario Loves the Laura Party 2007!!!
myxomatosis is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,894
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalulaTrauma
Yes, awfully so. And just typical of the bad luck Monica seemed to get/attract. Somehow the Gods, fate, nature or whatever you want to call it seemed to conspire against her.

What breaks my heart (as a Mega Monica fan) is that people have already begun to forget about her. Monica has simply evaporated, whereas other ex-players managed to keep their name alive.

Monica didn't really have good social skills. She was a family girl. That was true with Steffi but her skills gradually improved after her father went to prison but Monica remained the same. When Monica's father died, it devasted her more than the knife stabbing because Monica kept going to finals after the stabbing but after that she was no where to be seen.

She is trying to be more social but that Greta Garbo is locked in her for good.
trivfun is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Brooklyn90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,018
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxomatosis
The difference between Monica and Agassi, is that Monica already hasn't been playing for awhile and so in a lot of people's minds, is already semi-retired. Her official announcement will be somewhat anti-climactic as a result. It's more emotional for Agassi because people know when his last tournament will be. Nobody knew Monica's last tourney would be her final one.
I hope though that Monica's retirement and career gets the kudos and attention it deserves.
thats really true
Brooklyn90 is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mayfield
Posts: 16,884
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalulaTrauma
What breaks my heart (as a Mega Monica fan) is that people have already begun to forget about her. Monica has simply evaporated, whereas other ex-players managed to keep their name alive.
Are you kidding? I will NEVER forget Monica, my first huge fave in tennis. I will never forget her Dad, Karolj, either: my favorite tennis parent ever. A role model for all tennis parents to emulate.
auntie janie is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Talula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,502
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by janie
Are you kidding? I will NEVER forget Monica, my first huge fave in tennis. I will never forget her Dad, Karolj, either: my favorite tennis parent ever. A role model for all tennis parents to emulate.
I din't mean tennis fans, I meant the general public. Monica is my fave player ever too, and that is why her lack of public recognition is upsetting to me.
Talula is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Talula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,502
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun
Monica didn't really have good social skills. She was a family girl. That was true with Steffi but her skills gradually improved after her father went to prison but Monica remained the same. When Monica's father died, it devasted her more than the knife stabbing because Monica kept going to finals after the stabbing but after that she was no where to be seen.

She is trying to be more social but that Greta Garbo is locked in her for good.
I think you're right. Garbo suffered from clinical depression, and in the Sunday Times recently Monica also said she still suffers from depression now and then. Hence the tendency to avoid the spotlight. But as a fan of hers since I can remember I just want everyone to know how wonderful she was/is.
Talula is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Slumpsova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: home
Posts: 15,012
                     
Monica can't retire. she should back to play for at least a tournament
Slumpsova is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
 
SAEKeithSerena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 8,921
                     
it's not a surprise, she hasn't played in years, i considered her retired a long time ago. so i'd expect it to be overshadowed

Serena Williams.

16-Time Grand Slam Champion.

2013 Titles: Brisbane, Sony Open (Miami), Family Circle Cup, Madrid, Rome, 16th SLAM-THE FRENCH OPEN, Bastad, Roger's Cup

2013 Record: (60-4)
SAEKeithSerena is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Senior Member
 
ezekiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: manjaro
Posts: 4,806
                     
she will officially retire in australia
ezekiel is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Gdañsk
Posts: 28,144
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAEKeithSerena
it's not a surprise, she hasn't played in years, i considered her retired a long time ago. so i'd expect it to be overshadowed
I agree. Probably most of us consider Seles as retired player
Wojtek is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Talula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,502
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel
she will officially retire in australia
Probably ezekiel, scene of arguably her greatest triumphs (though some would say RG), her favourite tournament, and she said she would give it to the end of 2006. Some of us will never be the same again.
Talula is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Talula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,502
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
I agree. Probably most of us consider Seles as retired player
There are some of us who cling to the hope, even if we know it's in vain!
Talula is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome