Anyone else excited about the drama? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,379
                     
Anyone else excited about the drama?

Mauresmo-Justine, starting where they left off in January?

I, for one, always like it when there is a bit of drama before the match, the things that make a match anticipated for reasons other than than the level of tennis expected. Like the tension before a Kim-Justine match, or an all Williams match-up.

Justine's retiring during the AO final caused such emotions and heated arguments at the time. And at least for Momo, things are not yet completely in the past. There was the interview she gave to SI a few days ago (posted here) with these quotes:
"I knew she got some criticism," Mauresmo, the world No. 1, said after her 6-3, 6-4 win over Ana Ivanovic on Monday. "As a journalist I probably would have done the same." Once, Mauresmo and Henin-Hardenne were good friends. Asked if they were still friends now, Mauresmo said, "No, I cannot." Asked if Henin-Hardenne's withdrawal had affected their relationship, Mauresmo said, "It did. It did. I had a lot of respect for the champion she is and all that's she's achieved. But I don't feel this behavior is a champion's behavior. Unless you injure yourself and you cannot, like Kim [who retired with an injury from their Australian semifinal] a couple days before, I don't think it's the way to behave on the court. Especially since, I think the first thing she said in the press conference was, 'Well, I couldn't win the match anyway.' So you have to think: Did you pull out because you felt you could not win because of the way you were feeling? Or was it because ... you know. There's still that question."

Let the games begin
Pinkie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
SharapovaFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,874
                     
wipe the floor Momo wipe the floor
SharapovaFan16 is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,543
                     
where is the drama????
manu32 is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,379
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu32
where is the drama????
Hey, we all know they are not going be screaming at each other. But you don't think there is going to be palpable tension before the match? There is not one commentator who is not going to mention the controversy. And you just know Mauresmo is going to want to win this one, bad. She does not want to be the one who won just one, by default.
Pinkie is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,097
                     
I hope Amélie will beat Justine fair and square so that noone will ever doubt that she can win a Slam.

2000-2007: My "Kim years". My best years as a tennis fan. A few bitter losses but a lot of great matches and great wins. Thank you, Kim Clijsters!
26.03.2009: More Kim years to come!
Hagar is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,543
                     
you are not french....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie
Hey, we all know they are not going be screaming at each other. But you don't think there is going to be palpable tension before the match? There is not one commentator who is not going to mention the controversy. And you just know Mauresmo is going to want to win this one, bad. She does not want to be the one who won just one, by default.

nobody talks here about wimby......only football...it's a drama .4 or 5 people
dead last night ....
manu32 is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 50,812
                     
link please ?

Quote:
There was the interview she gave to SI a few days ago (posted here) with these quotes:
"I knew she got some criticism," Mauresmo, the world No. 1, said after her 6-3, 6-4 win over Ana Ivanovic on Monday. "As a journalist I probably would have done the same." Once, Mauresmo and Henin-Hardenne were good friends. Asked if they were still friends now, Mauresmo said, "No, I cannot." Asked if Henin-Hardenne's withdrawal had affected their relationship, Mauresmo said, "It did. It did. I had a lot of respect for the champion she is and all that's she's achieved. But I don't feel this behavior is a champion's behavior. Unless you injure yourself and you cannot, like Kim [who retired with an injury from their Australian semifinal] a couple days before, I don't think it's the way to behave on the court. Especially since, I think the first thing she said in the press conference was, 'Well, I couldn't win the match anyway.' So you have to think: Did you pull out because you felt you could not win because of the way you were feeling? Or was it because ... you know. There's still that question."

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,379
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablovah
link please ?
Here you go. The Momo quotes are on the second page.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nne/index.html
Pinkie is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Senior Member
 
SAEKeithSerena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 8,920
                     
beat her ass Momo

Serena Williams.

16-Time Grand Slam Champion.

2013 Titles: Brisbane, Sony Open (Miami), Family Circle Cup, Madrid, Rome, 16th SLAM-THE FRENCH OPEN, Bastad, Roger's Cup

2013 Record: (60-4)
SAEKeithSerena is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 50,812
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie
Here you go. The Momo quotes are on the second page.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nne/index.html
thanks
but you forgot this part :

Quote:
Mauresmo, though, has an easier task: win two more matches on the other side of the draw and set up the year's most intriguing rematch. Friends once, and now something else entirely. "I would take anybody" in the Wimbledon final, Mauresmo said of the possibility of facing Henin-Hardenne on Saturday. "But I think if it comes -- and it may come here, it may come later -- all this has to be behind." She made a gesture then, her right arm shoving what happened in Melbourne somewhere behind her back. "Just focus on the game."

Asked if she thought she could truly do that, Mauresmo tried to sound convincing. "I think so, yes, yes," she said. "I think so."

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,379
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablovah
thanks
but you forgot this part :
Fair enough. And good point that she is not trying to inflate the drama even more. Still, she made a point of saying there are not friends anymore, which says something about the fact that this was a big deal to her. As it should be. For someone who was acccused of not being able to close down a slam, she won one in just about the worst-case scenario... by not really closing it down. I felt so bad for her. Even if there would be no bad blood between the two, she is going to be hell-bent on a do-over.
Pinkie is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Mightymirza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,217
                     
well i have a feeling this will be one sided affair.........Either way...But either nerves will get to Ju or to momo...Dont expect a clean match here as where emotions r involved, crazy things hapen

SANIA JUSTINE ELENAD

Martina Hingis Ana Ivanovic Myskina Safarova

When I have my goals set, I always attain them- Justine
Mightymirza is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,552
                     
I feel this is gonna be a really really good match, best of the tournament.
MisterMan is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
saki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: merely in delusional land
Posts: 6,289
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie
Fair enough. And good point that she is not trying to inflate the drama even more.
Erm, she kind of is going for the drama. She behaved like a complete class act at the final itself and immediately afterwards and kudos to her for that but those comments are quite obviously trying to fuel things. I don't know why she feels that way months later when she didn't seem to at the time, maybe it helps psych herself up or something, but she is amping up the drama.
saki is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: France
Posts: 2,687
                     
It has all the makings of a great final, Justine really wants a complete slam collection, Amélie really wants to beat Justine right now, after the AO, and on top of that expect lots of "allez". May the best allez win.
Shenanigans is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome