Shriver: Has Paris Cost JHH Wimbledon? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
Shriver: Has Paris Cost JHH Wimbledon?

Updated: June 24, 2006, 12:58 PM ET
Has success on clay cost Belgian at Wimbledon?



By Pam Shriver
Special to ESPN.com
Archive







I was pretty hard on Justine Henin-Hardenne after she retired in the second set of the Australian Open final against Amelie Mauresmo. The French Open once again showed she is the toughest competitor in women's tennis right now and made me rethink what happened at the Australian. Given her history of fight and determination on the court, she must have really had a major stomach problem that was too painful to continue, even though it looked to most of us like she could have and should have finished the match.


AP Photo/Michel Spingler
All five of Justine Henin-Hardenne's Grand Slam titles have come since 2003.






That said, Henin-Hardenne now has a chance to complete the career Grand Slam, something only nine women have done before. Wimbledon is the missing link, and ironically it was the first Grand Slam final she reached back in 2001.



And this year the Belgian is doing something different -- playing at Eastbourne, England (the Hastings Direct International Championships). Last year, after she won the French Open, Henin-Hardenne rested because she was still somewhat nervous about the virus she contracted in 2004 that took a long time for her to get over. She went into Wimbledon having not played since the French Open and lost in the first round to Eleni Daniilidou. The fact that she's playing this week in Eastbourne shows that she is taking a different approach and knows that playing grass-court tennis before Wimbledon is important.



When you think about the rarified air of the all-time greats, they win somewhere between 15-20 majors: Steffi Graf (22 titles), Martina Navratilova (18) and Chris Evert (18). I even put Monica Seles (nine) in that company because she was robbed by the stabbing attack that derailed her career. Women Who Have Won
The Career Grand SlamPlayerGrand Slams wonMargaret Court Smith 24 Steffi Graf 22 Chris Evert 18 Martina Navratilova 18 Billie Jean King 12 Maureen Connolly 9 Serena Williams 7 Doris Hart 6 Shirley Fry 4



Henin-Hardenne has five career Grand Slams, so I wouldn't put her up there, but she's also only halfway through her career (she turned 24 on June 1). When you think about what she has done in the last three years, if she can do that in the next three years, you can start talking about her as one of the greats. But the great ones win majors over a 10- to 12-year span.



If she does win Wimbledon, it would be her sixth career Grand Slam; that's pretty special but still a notch below the all-time greats. In women's tennis, you need to reach double digits in majors won to be considered among the greatest.



One reason Wimbledon has eluded to Henin-Hardenne to this point is the proximity of the tournament to the French Open. She's done so well at Roland Garros (winning it three of the last four years), and playing on clay takes its toll. Henin-Hardenne has had amazing clay-court records and expends a ton of energy on clay. It's just not easy to snap your fingers and be ready to go on grass.



Another reason she hasn't won at Wimbledon is because of the Williams sisters. Henin-Hardenne first played at Wimbledon in 2000; since then Venus and Serena have combined to win five of the six titles, in part because grass is a surface that is perfect for their games.



I'd be more surprised if Henin-Hardenne never wins a Wimbledon title than if Roger Federer never wins the French Open.

ESPN tennis analyst Pam Shriver won 21 singles and 112 doubles crowns, including 22 Grand Slam titles, and was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2002.
tennisIlove09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,996
                     
I love how everyone is kissing her ass again just because she won the French Open...at least have the freaking balls to stand by what you say
Brooks. is offline  
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Combray
Posts: 16,530
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeReeFan
I love how everyone is kissing her ass again just because she won the French Open...at least have the freaking balls to stand by what you say
or the courage to admit you were wrong.
auntie janie is offline  
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Senior Member
 
IceHock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cali
Posts: 9,616
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
Updated: June 24, 2006, 12:58 PM ET
Has success on clay cost Belgian at Wimbledon?



By Pam Shriver
Special to ESPN.com
Archive







I was pretty hard on Justine Henin-Hardenne after she retired in the second set of the Australian Open final against Amelie Mauresmo. The French Open once again showed she is the toughest competitor in women's tennis right now and made me rethink what happened at the Australian. Given her history of fight and determination on the court, she must have really had a major stomach problem that was too painful to continue, even though it looked to most of us like she could have and should have finished the match.


AP Photo/Michel Spingler
All five of Justine Henin-Hardenne's Grand Slam titles have come since 2003.






That said, Henin-Hardenne now has a chance to complete the career Grand Slam, something only nine women have done before. Wimbledon is the missing link, and ironically it was the first Grand Slam final she reached back in 2001.



And this year the Belgian is doing something different -- playing at Eastbourne, England (the Hastings Direct International Championships). Last year, after she won the French Open, Henin-Hardenne rested because she was still somewhat nervous about the virus she contracted in 2004 that took a long time for her to get over. She went into Wimbledon having not played since the French Open and lost in the first round to Eleni Daniilidou. The fact that she's playing this week in Eastbourne shows that she is taking a different approach and knows that playing grass-court tennis before Wimbledon is important.



When you think about the rarified air of the all-time greats, they win somewhere between 15-20 majors: Steffi Graf (22 titles), Martina Navratilova (18) and Chris Evert (18). I even put Monica Seles (nine) in that company because she was robbed by the stabbing attack that derailed her career. Women Who Have Won
The Career Grand SlamPlayerGrand Slams wonMargaret Court Smith 24 Steffi Graf 22 Chris Evert 18 Martina Navratilova 18 Billie Jean King 12 Maureen Connolly 9 Serena Williams 7 Doris Hart 6 Shirley Fry 4



Henin-Hardenne has five career Grand Slams, so I wouldn't put her up there, but she's also only halfway through her career (she turned 24 on June 1). When you think about what she has done in the last three years, if she can do that in the next three years, you can start talking about her as one of the greats. But the great ones win majors over a 10- to 12-year span.



If she does win Wimbledon, it would be her sixth career Grand Slam; that's pretty special but still a notch below the all-time greats. In women's tennis, you need to reach double digits in majors won to be considered among the greatest.



One reason Wimbledon has eluded to Henin-Hardenne to this point is the proximity of the tournament to the French Open. She's done so well at Roland Garros (winning it three of the last four years), and playing on clay takes its toll. Henin-Hardenne has had amazing clay-court records and expends a ton of energy on clay. It's just not easy to snap your fingers and be ready to go on grass.



Another reason she hasn't won at Wimbledon is because of the Williams sisters. Henin-Hardenne first played at Wimbledon in 2000; since then Venus and Serena have combined to win five of the six titles, in part because grass is a surface that is perfect for their games.



I'd be more surprised if Henin-Hardenne never wins a Wimbledon title than if Roger Federer never wins the French Open.

ESPN tennis analyst Pam Shriver won 21 singles and 112 doubles crowns, including 22 Grand Slam titles, and was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2002.


you've gotta be joking me ,apparently she hasn't seen fed play that much.
IceHock is offline  
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Senior Member
 
hingis-seles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 19,128
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
When you think about the rarified air of the all-time greats, they win somewhere between 15-20 majors: Steffi Graf (22 titles), Martina Navratilova (18) and Chris Evert (18). I even put Monica Seles (nine) in that company because she was robbed by the stabbing attack that derailed her career.
Monica

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
I'd be more surprised if Henin-Hardenne never wins a Wimbledon title than if Roger Federer never wins the French Open.
I'd be more surprised if Roger never won RG rather than Justine never winning Wimbledon.

FUCK YOU, SEWTA.
[/SIZE]
hingis-seles is offline  
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,277
                     
I don't particularly think winning Roland Garros is hurting Justine at Wimbledon. If she wants to win Wimbledon though then she has to be more aggressive throughout the year. You can't just play aggressive tennis one month out of the year and expect a championship at Wimbledon to come. Lendl tried it every year and failed.
Venus plays aggressive tennis on all surfaces and that's why her game works so well for Wimbledon. When she plays defense though she has the best chance to change her defense into offense.
Justine is use to getting two or three shots to do that and you just don't get that on grass.
I wish she would look at how Federer plays on all surfaces it would really make her game even more dimensional.
Justine has a very good slice that stays low but she doesn't get enough out of it. She doesn't chip and charge. She doesn't use any slices that basically make her opponents come to net which is odd considering she has some of the best passes on tour.
For Justine to win Wimbledon she will have to use more court than she would at RG and doing it offensively. I don't know if this is the year she's going to do it.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Watching TV
Posts: 11,084
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall
Justine has a very good slice that stays low but she doesn't get enough out of it. She doesn't chip and charge. She doesn't use any slices that basically make her opponents come to net which is odd considering she has some of the best passes on tour.
For Justine to win Wimbledon she will have to use more court than she would at RG and doing it offensively. I don't know if this is the year she's going to do it.
Thanks again for proving once again how you haven't actually seen Justine play for a while.


And on topic, it's not like if Justine didn't perform well at RG, Wimbledon title would be hers. And wow at Pam changing her mind, I wonder for how long!

~ JUSTINE ~

The real LADY of the Justine Philistines' Society™
Lady is offline  
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
I think after Venus, Justine is the best player at the net. And I give Venus the edge because of the reach.
tennisIlove09 is offline  
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
IceHock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cali
Posts: 9,616
                     
i'm gunna find it hard for her to keep up the agrression on grass becuase she's so used to defending on clay courts,i know she won eastbourne but can she hold up all tournament long??for me she has to finish at the net and use her slice.those are the 2 keys for her success at wimbledon,if she just sits back and rallies with maria or venus,she's screwed.
IceHock is offline  
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,672
                     
Thank you Janie.

It has taken Pam, and some others quite a while to understand that JHH is a tough cookie and has withstood some tough times with her body to compete. She's never shied away from a loss, and certainly a set and a break down to Amelie at AO, she wouldn't stop if she didn't have to. It took Pam a while to get it (or to admit she was wrong), but no harm no foul.

Paris may have cost JHH Wimby?lol Like Lady said, it's not as if JHH was guaranteed Wimby had she lost in Paris.lol
vejh is offline  
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Watching TV
Posts: 11,084
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
I think after Venus, Justine is the best player at the net. And I give Venus the edge because of the reach.
Have you seen the today's match? Justine's volleys were phenomenal! And she came to the net around 30-40 times.

~ JUSTINE ~

The real LADY of the Justine Philistines' Society™
Lady is offline  
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady
Have you seen the today's match? Justine's volleys were phenomenal! And she came to the net around 30-40 times.
No I didnt get TV coverage here in Canada. I only get coverage of the Slams - Indian Wells - Miami - Canadian Open
tennisIlove09 is offline  
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Watching TV
Posts: 11,084
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
No I didnt get TV coverage here in Canada. I only get coverage of the Slams - Indian Wells - Miami - Canadian Open
And no possibily to download via BitTorrent? rottweily put the link in her thread.

~ JUSTINE ~

The real LADY of the Justine Philistines' Society™
Lady is offline  
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Senior Member
 
TomTennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,113
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles
I'd be more surprised if Roger never won RG rather than Justine never winning Wimbledon.
Im the same!
TomTennis is offline  
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,277
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady
Thanks again for proving once again how you haven't actually seen Justine play for a while.


And on topic, it's not like if Justine didn't perform well at RG, Wimbledon title would be hers. And wow at Pam changing her mind, I wonder for how long!
So Justine chipped and charged today? Did she lure Myskina into net with a short crosscourt slice?
She came in fourty times against Myskina. And??? When has Myskina been known for her passes?

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome