Disadvantaged Weaker Serves? - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Marcus1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 43,687
                     
Disadvantaged Weaker Serves?

Sorry if this has been asked before but what surface disadvantages the players with a weaker serve the most?

Queen Vee, Super Rena, Krazy Kuzzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by honzaneumannn View Post
So who will win the next 6 Wimbledons? Petra 2 of them, thats for sure. And dont even try to tell me that you see some hotter candidates than hers!
Marcus1979 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:14 AM
She's coming for your faves wigs
 
Aaron.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Retired
Posts: 17,539
                     
I Have no idea maybe Hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTICE4ALL View Post
You shut the hell up, you don't know me.! KING, Bow down bitch cause i'm the shit! HOE! I know you see that big ass patch!
Aaron. is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:21 AM
country flag SM
Senior Member
 
SM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New South Wales
Posts: 11,147
                     
clay, its slowed down and thehigh bounce makesit sit up in the hitting zone

Good luck to the Aussie and Balkan girls!
SM is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Marcus1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 43,687
                     
Thanks Stevo

Queen Vee, Super Rena, Krazy Kuzzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by honzaneumannn View Post
So who will win the next 6 Wimbledons? Petra 2 of them, thats for sure. And dont even try to tell me that you see some hotter candidates than hers!
Marcus1979 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Senior Member
 
SzavayFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pleasure Town
Posts: 11,683
                     
Either Grass or Rebound Ace cause those are Dementieva's worst slams Actually I dont know the official answer to that but Id think it would be a hard court
SzavayFi is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:29 AM
The Comeback Begins - January 2010.
 
ZeroSOFInfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,481
                     
I think grass. Since a weaker serve lacks speed, it gives the opponent a crucial second or 2 to hit a powerful return, leaving the player having to defend.

That's just my thinking

Your sig picture exceeds the 200 pixel height limit.

Australian Open 2010 Final Result:-
Lost to Serena Williams 4-6, 6-3, 2-6 (Great job, girl! Now prepare for FO!)
ZeroSOFInfinity is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 886
                     
My thinking has to be clay cause the ball sits up and its easier to hit, grass may tend to skid if server has a flat or has slice serves, its a shock the Dementieva has such a bad record at Wimbeldon, when I have seen live play hard and rebound ace really to me makes no difference to the serve so for me its clay

All Aussie chicks rock

Sammy Stosur
Alicia Molik
Jelena Dokic
Sophie Ferguson
Casey Dellacqua
Nicole Pratt
Renee Stubbs

JDLover is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Gone with the Wind fabulous!
 
LoveFifteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,457
                     
I think it depends on the player. Also, it depends on what you think of as a weak serve. Some people just think of speed, but placement is actually vital, too.
LoveFifteen is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Senior Member
 
venus_rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,348
                     
For sure clay. I think it's part of the reason Venus has strugged so much at the French Open because the clay males her serve easier to read and therefore to return because it doesn't slide through the court like it does on a grass court or a U.S. Open like hard court.

RIDE OR DIE! Down for Venus Williams



[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Gone with the Wind fabulous!
 
LoveFifteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,457
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus_rulez
For sure clay. I think it's part of the reason Venus has strugged so much at the French Open because the clay males her serve easier to read and therefore to return because it doesn't slide through the court like it does on a grass court or a U.S. Open like hard court.
But that means clay mutes the advantage of a fast serve, not that clay is the worst surface for people with a weak serve.
LoveFifteen is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Senior Member
 
venus_rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,348
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveFifteen
But that means clay mutes the advantage of a fast serve, not that clay is the worst surface for people with a weak serve.

I guess I was going on the principle that if it mutes a fairly good server's capabilities, it probably doesn't do much or hinders someone who already isn't so good to begin with.

RIDE OR DIE! Down for Venus Williams



[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Corswandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 12 o'clock high
Posts: 13,740
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM
clay, its slowed down and thehigh bounce makesit sit up in the hitting zone
Yup.

Clay makes weak second serves much easier to blast away.

Kvitova * Vaidisova * Garcia * Robson


Eu Jogo Ténis


Prokofiev + Son Goku = pwnage
Corswandt is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:20 PM
King
 
Viktymise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Flux
Posts: 27,799
                     
I think you could make arguments for both clay and grass, on clay the serve is slowed down much more and it gives opponents more time to blast a winner, but the shot will also be slowed down giving the player with the bad serve a better chance of returning it. On grass the serve will be sped up more but if the opponent gets a big retur it will be much harder to get the return back which is why LenaD has trouble on grass because she relys more on her defence which is very effectivley used on clay but not as effective on grass. I give a slight edge to grass as the worst for slow servers but its pretty close

Grassonkova.
Viktymise is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2006, 03:34 PM
College Tennis/Team USA expert
 
tennisbuddy12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,007
                     
I have a weak serve..1 match i served 19 df's....i play USTA tourneys on hard and clay and hardcourts i feel are more difficult....but on clay i usually defend more...it depends on the play...ive cut my df's in half and i still have more growing to do..im only 14 so yeah.

Tennis Tipping
Singles: Won ITF Contrexeville '10, ITF Yakima '12, ITF Medellin '14, ITF Monterrey '14, ITF Asuncion '14, ITF CH-YEC '14, WTA Dubai '16
Doubles: Won WTA Bad Gastein '10 (as Q), WTA Quebec City '10 (as Q),Wimbledon '11, ITF Kansas City '11, ITF Nassau '12, ITF Yakima '12, WTA 125 Hua Hin '15


tennisbuddy12 is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Senior Member
 
sfselesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nirvana
Posts: 5,916
                     
Clay is the best surface for weak servers, because it equalizes the serves more...just like it's better for players who don't have the most powerful groundstrokes.

Grass is the worst surface for players with a weak service. When was the last time you say a player with a weak serve in the finals of Wimbledon? Hingis...and her serve was not bad at the time.

SF
sfselesfan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome