Sexism among the WTA Tour: a fact or an urban legend? - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Carmen Mairena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,260
                     
Thumbs down Sexism among the WTA Tour: a fact or an urban legend?

RG women's final: umpired by a man... :retard:

RG men's final: umpired by a... (music please) man!!! :retard:

Is it right for women not to umpire the BIG ONES??? I think NOT!
Carmen Mairena is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
timafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,469
                     
wrong
didn't A. Lang umpire the Aussie Open finals ?

Trump Jr. says Obama plagiarized his quote, but not before he borrowed it from Obama and both president Bushes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../?tid=pm_pop_b

timafi is offline  
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,980
                     
Women have umpired French Open finals. Maybe not this year, but in years past.
TonyP is offline  
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Senior Member
 
tennisboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,768
                     
Welcome to todays messed up society

Lindsay Davenport

98 US Open/99 Wimbledon/00 Australian Open
Atlanta 96 Singles Gold Medallist

Year end world number 1 98/01/04/05
tennisboi is offline  
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Member
 
VeeDaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 3,588
                     
some people just try to find stuff so they can get offended
VeeDaQueen is offline  
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 19,979
                     
Actually from what I've noticed, women umpires never seem to umpire men's matches.




"I wish I were as aggressive and serious as those floors too!!" - GOAT Cynthia Zimmerman
cellophane is offline  
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1,523
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane
Actually from what I've noticed, women umpires never seem to umpire men's matches.
It's actually not uncommon for a female umpire to oversee men's matches. I remember (seeing it on TV) a fairly important men's match at one of the major tournaments umpired by Sandra de Jenkin. I remember it because SdJ is so beautiful.
clonesheep is offline  
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Manila
Posts: 557
                     
Sandra de Jenken always umpires the big matches. I've seen her also umpiring for men's matches. But I can't remember other women umpiring for men.

How do they even pick who would be the umpire for a final? Do they have a list of possible candidates and pick randomly from that list?
spec7er is offline  
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Senior Member
 
LindsayRulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 15,351
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec7er
Sandra de Jenken always umpires the big matches. I've seen her also umpiring for men's matches. But I can't remember other women umpiring for men.
True
LindsayRulz is offline  
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 19,979
                     
I didn't mean to say "never"; it's just that you don't see women umpiring for men's matches very often, as with women's matches. At least I've not noticed.




"I wish I were as aggressive and serious as those floors too!!" - GOAT Cynthia Zimmerman

Last edited by cellophane; Jun 14th, 2006 at 02:12 AM.
cellophane is offline  
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Senior Member
 
partbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,305
 
You're right in that you don't see women umpiring men's matches that often. You also don't see ATP members encouraged to do seductive--and in some cases, distasteful--advertising in order to sell the tour (but I had to laugh when I saw the new Roddick Lacoste commercial).

Then there are the people on this board who say that sexism benefits women. They would never say that racism benefits people of color.

But I find that most of the sexism comes from the sports commentators. I wish Kim had slapped Enberg when he said "Can I hold you?" after she asked to hold the microphone at the U.S. Open. Then there's Brad Gilbert, hoping for a "cat fight" between two of the women. And Pam Shriver--when Jon Leach was referred to as Rick Leach's brother--saying "He would hate it a lot more if he were referred to as Mr. Davenport," as if that would be such a terrible thing (she wouldn't be offended if Lindsay were called "Mrs. Leach").

Or how about Brad Gilbert at the French Open, saying that "the lady umpire is coming down to check"? Or Sports Illustrated calling Clijsters "the sportsman"? Or all the bashing of Kim as no longer a "nice girl" once she won the U.S. Open? Or Ted Robinson's reference to the members of the tour as "young ladies"?

Or how about Al Trautwig lying down on the ground next Sharapova while she read a book? Or Jim Courier being all shocked and calling Bovina "aggressive" because she pumped her fiist? Or his saying that meltdowns occur only in the women's game?
partbrit is offline  
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Senior Member
 
LH2HBH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,071
                     
Women do not umpire ATP matches but both men and women umpire WTA matches

Мари́я Ю́рьевна Шара́пова​ , Јелена Јанковић, Venus Williams.
LH2HBH is offline  
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,540
                     
Er...in what professional sport is the officiating done primarily by women?

You people need to find something more important to complain about.
njnetswill is offline  
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Senior Member
 
partbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,305
 
Quote:
in what professional sport is the officiating done primarily by women?
I don't recall anyone calling for officiating to be done "primarily" by women. But you have kind of made the argument for us by begging the question.
partbrit is offline  
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:33 AM
A Young Troubadour.
 
Cat's Pajamas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: With Kristy Lee.
Posts: 16,367
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by partbrit
You're right in that you don't see women umpiring men's matches that often. You also don't see ATP members encouraged to do seductive--and in some cases, distasteful--advertising in order to sell the tour (but I had to laugh when I saw the new Roddick Lacoste commercial).

Then there are the people on this board who say that sexism benefits women. They would never say that racism benefits people of color.

But I find that most of the sexism comes from the sports commentators. I wish Kim had slapped Enberg when he said "Can I hold you?" after she asked to hold the microphone at the U.S. Open. Then there's Brad Gilbert, hoping for a "cat fight" between two of the women. And Pam Shriver--when Jon Leach was referred to as Rick Leach's brother--saying "He would hate it a lot more if he were referred to as Mr. Davenport," as if that would be such a terrible thing (she wouldn't be offended if Lindsay were called "Mrs. Leach").

Or how about Brad Gilbert at the French Open, saying that "the lady umpire is coming down to check"? Or Sports Illustrated calling Clijsters "the sportsman"? Or all the bashing of Kim as no longer a "nice girl" once she won the U.S. Open? Or Ted Robinson's reference to the members of the tour as "young ladies"?

Or how about Al Trautwig lying down on the ground next Sharapova while she read a book? Or Jim Courier being all shocked and calling Bovina "aggressive" because she pumped her fiist? Or his saying that meltdowns occur only in the women's game?

in some of this, I can't find any sexism

Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
Cat's Pajamas is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome