Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: sailing my ship
In terms of quality wins, Serena is definantly the top player this year, although she and Martina Hingis are relatively close in terms of their quality wins. Here is how I would rate the top 6 players this year in terms of the quality of their performances.
1. Serena Williams- Winner (Scottsdale (II), Miami (I), Rome (I)). Finalist (German Open (I)) Semifinalist (Adidas (II)). Quarterfinalist (Charleston (I)). Serena is the top player so far this year. Not only for her quality wins (two tier 1 events and 1 tier 1 final), but also for who she has beaten this year (Hingis-2, Capriati-3, Venus-1, Justine-1).
2. Martina Hingis- Winner (Adidas (II), Tokyo (I)). Finalist (Indian Wells (I), Australian Open (GS)). Semifinalist (Scottsdale (II), Hamburg (II)). Quarterfinalist (Miami (I)). Despite her injury problems, Hingis still played well this year, especially coming back from her first major injury. She won two titles and made the finals of two big events.
3. Jennifer Capriati- Winner (Australian Open (GS)). Finalist (Miami (I), Scottsdale (II)). Semifinalist (Charleston (I), German Open (I), Italian Open (I)). Consistency is key for Jen-Cap. She won AO and has played consistently well since them, but has unfortunately run into Serena Williams too many times this year.
4. Venus Williams- Winner (Gold Coast (III), Paris (II), Antwerp (III), Amelia Island (II)). Finalist (Hamburg (II)). Semifinalist (Dubai (III)), Quarterfinalist (Miami (I)). Great year for Venus so far, but her wins have come at smaller events and she has yet to make the finals of a tier 1 event this year. Hopefully things will change at RG.
5. Justine Henin- Winner (German Open (I)). Finalist (Gold Coast (III), Antwerp (III), Amelia Island (II). Rome (I). Quarterfinalist (Australian Open (GS), Paris (II), Hamburg (II), Adidas (II)). After having a semi slump, Henin has broken away from the pack this clay court season by winning her first big event beating Capriati and S. Williams to do so. With a 14-3 record, can we say Henin for a possible RG champion? I think so.
6. Kim Clijsters- Winner (Hamburg (II)). Semifinalist (Australian Open (GS), Adidas (II), Italian Open (I)). Quarterfinalist (Miami (I)). In a year plagued by injuries, Kim has good results in the tournaments she has participated in and her fine win over Venus at Hamburg shows that she can play the top contenders and win big.
Last edited by apoet29; May 23rd, 2002 at 08:15 PM.