Hingis: Isn't it ironic? (no haters please) - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
esquímaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 釜を掘&
Posts: 15,244
                     
Hingis: Isn't it ironic? (no haters please)

Isn't it ironic that Martina staged her come back as the Williams sisters' strangle hold on women's tennis loosened? Also I know some of ya'll like to sip on that hatorade spiked with crunk juice, so no haters please

"誰も私を止める停が出来なかったか"
- Jinpachi Mishima
- Jedah Douma
"恐れてはいけない. 私は最初であり, 最後である"
esquímaux is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 149
                     
well, ur a hater urself....thats what i think ironic !
Chrysanthemum is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 26,069
                     
Didn't their "strangle hold" loosen about 30 months ago?
GoDominique is offline  
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Hingie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,048
                     
I'm not sure the Williams sisters had much to do with it. From what i've read, Marti was more interested in the fact that the same people who were ruling with her a few years ago are the same ones ruling today (except for Sharapova).

She figured that if they can maintain it, why not her?

Although i don't buy the fact the injury forced her out of the game, it may have contributed to it but it wasn't the entire reason she left. It was getting difficult and she lost interest.
Hingie is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
esquímaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 釜を掘&
Posts: 15,244
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysanthemum
well, ur a hater urself....thats what i think ironic !
Who moi? Put down the crack pipe hon

"誰も私を止める停が出来なかったか"
- Jinpachi Mishima
- Jedah Douma
"恐れてはいけない. 私は最初であり, 最後である"
esquímaux is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
lukehingis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,465
                     
well... i think the William sisters rise was one of the main reasons other tha her injury that she retired. I think the beatings they would have given her in 2002 to 2003 would have been too much for her confidence. So I guess it's good that she left. But in 2004, with the Russians winining the slams, her plans for a comeback hatched....

-MARTINA HINGIS-
Unconditional Love & Support, Always and Forever, Genius, Legend, Star
All the Best, Elena Dementieva, Anna Chakvetadze, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Zheng Jie, Vera Zvonareva
Keep Fighting, Keep Believing

Novak "Nole" Djokovic
lukehingis is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 149
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquímaux
Who moi? Put down the crack pipe hon
Chrysanthemum is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,980
                     
All I know is, she began the comeback in Australia and both Williams sisters were there at the AO, too. Heck, Serena was defending champion, so Martina had no reason to believe she would be an early round casuality, or that Venus would go out in the first round. Venus had won Wimbledon the previous summer.
TonyP is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Martian Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 30,481
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyP
All I know is, she began the comeback in Australia and both Williams sisters were there at the AO, too. Heck, Serena was defending champion, so Martina had no reason to believe she would be an early round casuality, or that Venus would go out in the first round. Venus had won Wimbledon the previous summer.
you make a good point here

though Serena and Venus were not exactly at the top of tennis when Martina returned.

Martian Stacey is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Billabong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,001
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyP
All I know is, she began the comeback in Australia and both Williams sisters were there at the AO, too. Heck, Serena was defending champion, so Martina had no reason to believe she would be an early round casuality, or that Venus would go out in the first round. Venus had won Wimbledon the previous summer.
sooo true
Billabong is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
AsGoodAsNew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 745
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukehingis
well... i think the William sisters rise was one of the main reasons other tha her injury that she retired. I think the beatings they would have given her in 2002 to 2003 would have been too much for her confidence. So I guess it's good that she left. But in 2004, with the Russians winining the slams, her plans for a comeback hatched....
I totally agree with this theory. It is good Hingis left when she did or she could have been absolutely destroyed.

Maybe this is what Serena is doing - getting herself refreshed so to speak.
AsGoodAsNew is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
 
lizchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 20,943
                     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyP
All I know is, she began the comeback in Australia and both Williams sisters were there at the AO, too. Heck, Serena was defending champion, so Martina had no reason to believe she would be an early round casuality, or that Venus would go out in the first round. Venus had won Wimbledon the previous summer.

That's why she came back. With Venus winning her fifth Grand Slam, she tied Martina in the amount of Grand Slams won. I think Martina came back to win that 6th so that she can still be ahead of Venus, but I think Venus will win her 6th Grand Slam before Martina does.

Good Luck In 2012 To The Following:
Venus Williams
Serena Williams
Vania King, Sloane Stephens
Michael Joseph Jackson|1958-2009|RIP King of Music

Whitney Elizabeth Houston|1963-2012|RIP Queen of Music
lizchris is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Shangri-La
Posts: 35,245
                     
That's not an irony! Unless if you've been listening to too much Alanis Morissette.




Sam L is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
vwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,846
                     
All players measure the state of their game by how they play against the Williams sisters. They are the standard and the motivation by which a lot of players set their own goals. They are the best and most accomplished players on tour, so it's only natural.

I do think that Martina saw how well Mary and Davenport did in 2005 and probably concluded that she could be competitive again. The Williams were not as much a threat, Venus was struggling to bring her game together and Serena wasn't playing much. So why not, she has a pretty decent game even in today's world of power tennis as her comeback has shown.

Whatever reason, I'm glad she's back. It adds some spice!
vwfan is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Hingie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,048
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfan
All players measure the state of their game by how they play against the Williams sisters. They are the standard and the motivation by which a lot of players set their own goals. They are the best and most accomplished players on tour, so it's only natural.

I do think that Martina saw how well Mary and Davenport did in 2005 and probably concluded that she could be competitive again. The Williams were not as much a threat, Venus was struggling to bring her game together and Serena wasn't playing much. So why not, she has a pretty decent game even in today's world of power tennis as her comeback has shown.

Whatever reason, I'm glad she's back. It adds some spice!
She has a pretty decent game huh? She can hit shots Vee and Rena can only dream of. She just gets overpowered every now and then.
Hingie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome