Venus And Martina: Proof Of Current State Of The Tour? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AsGoodAsNew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 745
                     
Venus And Martina: Proof Of Current State Of The Tour?

Look at the excitement over this match, both here, in the press etc. And look at recent tournaments. Regardless of whether or not you like either of the players, is it not proof that the Tour without the likes of Martina and the Williams is simply second rate which much less interest?

This match had more interest than the Martina/Sharapova clashes!

It's the drama, history and emotion, and the sheer meaningfulness of it. It reminded me of the days when the Tour had the Williams, Seles, Capriati, Lindsay, Hingis, Mauresmo and the Belgians all in one tournament! And now we get Petrova and Schnyder!

And to those who say the Williams and Hingis mean nothing, the sheer excitement this match caused just goes to show.
AsGoodAsNew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsGoodAsNew
Look at the excitement over this match, both here, in the press etc. And look at recent tournaments. Regardless of whether or not you like either of the players, is it not proof that the Tour without the likes of Martina and the Williams is simply second rate which much less interest?

This match had more interest than the Martina/Sharapova clashes!

It's the drama, history and emotion, and the sheer meaningfulness of it. It reminded me of the days when the Tour had the Williams, Seles, Capriati, Lindsay, Hingis, Mauresmo and the Belgians all in one tournament! And now we get Petrova and Schnyder!

And to those who say the Williams and Hingis mean nothing, the sheer excitement this match caused just goes to show.


Enjoy your 15 minutes of fun while you've got it. I'd rather watch Petrova vs Schnyder any day over Hingus vs Venus.

Hingus and Venus aren't among the 10 best players in the world. Watch them for sentimental value if you like, but i prefer well-played, high-level tennis.
vogus is offline  
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
eugreene2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,800
                     
Petrova & Snyder are a joke. They are just boring tennis. And Snyder is not even really good. Wasn't it just last year when Venus was playing like crap & Snyder had all them match points & still lost. It was laughable.

Last edited by eugreene2; May 4th, 2006 at 02:32 PM.
eugreene2 is offline  
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
jamatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,377
                     
Yep, it was a pretty awful match...like most these days.
jamatthews is offline  
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
TeaMMashA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,244
                     
Probably the reason why most WTA matches havent got the value you say of Williams, Hingis Seles etc. Is possibly because most of the top players (Clijsters, JHH, WS) are never all fit together its very rare these days which is through no fault of the WTA and the other top players are only just breaking through the likes of Sharapova and Kuznetsova starting to come of age. I say give it some time and you dont always have to have top players to see an excellent game of tennis

Maria Sharapova
World Number One
Maria Kirilenko|Nicole Vaidisova

.Tatiana Golovin.Nadia Petrova.Ana Ivanovic.Olga Poutchkova.
.Caroline Wozinacki.Anna ChakVetadze.Anna-Lena Groenefeld.
.Sam Stosur.Michaella Krajicek.Svetlana Kuznetsova.
TeaMMashA is offline  
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,512
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus
Enjoy your 15 minutes of fun while you've got it. I'd rather watch Petrova vs Schnyder any day over Hingus vs Venus.
I think you might be in the minority here. History and passion go much further in womens tennis than it does on the mens side.

Statistically, Petrova vs Schnyder are higher ranked players, so the matchup may seem like a better one. However, once you add in the fact that Venus/Hingis would rather gnaw their own knuckles off before she let the other one win, then you'd understand why the Venus/Hingis match might be more compelling.

Also, they share 10 singles GS between the both of them.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
WF4EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The West Indies
Posts: 2,068
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket
I think you might be in the minority here. History and passion go much further in womens tennis than it does on the mens side.

Statistically, Petrova vs Schnyder are higher ranked players, so the matchup may seem like a better one. However, once you add in the fact that Venus/Hingis would rather gnaw their own knuckles off before she let the other one win, then you'd understand why the Venus/Hingis match might be more compelling.

Also, they share 10 singles GS between the both of them.
Point well made. Vogus is just being an ass as usual.

I thought this match was over after Martina went ahead 3-0 in the second set but what this match proved to me was that

a) Neither player wanted to lose to the other
b) Venus, despite cramping in both legs was not going to give it to Martina; she would have to beath the skin off her to get this win
c) Venus can still fight her ass off if she's motivated enough

and

d) We're back to old times, like Venus said. These two still hate each other with a passion!

I'm happy for Venus; glad she won, glad she had the grit to pull it off. But I think this is the end of the line for her in Warsaw. She can't beat Sveta playing like she did today and with her cramping. SHe needs to get some rest and get in shape for the next tournament. But I really am glad to see her back, and I really applaud her effort today. Hingis is a great motivating factor for Venus; I hope they keep putting them on the same sid eof the draw, lol.


It's 2008 and I'm shopping for a new fave. Hell no! And Venus is still playing?


I Love You, Roger and Venus, 5-time Wimbledon Champions!
WF4EVER is offline  
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
tennisrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,226
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaMMashA
Probably the reason why most WTA matches havent got the value you say of Williams, Hingis Seles etc. Is possibly because most of the top players (Clijsters, JHH, WS) are never all fit together its very rare these days which is through no fault of the WTA and the other top players are only just breaking through the likes of Sharapova and Kuznetsova starting to come of age. I say give it some time and you dont always have to have top players to see an excellent game of tennis
Thats a good point. There have been no established rivalries in recent times, because most of the top players are always injured, so they don't often play the same tournaments. Also the young players with the exception of sharapova, are yet to really establish themselves.
The other thing is that in order to have a real rivalry with history , you need dominant players. Hingis, and the williams sisters did dominate for a period, but right now none of the players are dominating for any length of time, so there is no-one playing catchup. We'll have to see if things continue this way. I think we'll have rivalries in time. The young players just need time to establish themselves. And the current top players need to stay fit!

"You know why I didn't go to Chelsea even though they offered more than £55m, because I love football and to play it attractively"
-Ronaldinho

Roman Abramovich-tax cheat Jose Maurinho-Megalomaniac


Proud to be a Gunners fan. We're skint, but proud


tennisrox is offline  
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 399
                     
Its really about the pedigree of the players playing the match....we're talking about 2 multiple grandslam and tons of titles winners, from the same era , stands to reason that to get those GSes and titles they must have clashed dramatically countless times ,
schynder and petrove could play the perfect tennis match with every body aware of it and yet their next match would still not have close to the anticipation of a Martina/venus match regardless of the quality of their last encounter. Neither petrova or Scyhnder provide that kind of pedigree separetly and together the provide nothing at all...... just 2 top players playing a match
BrianII is offline  
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket
I think you might be in the minority here. History and passion go much further in womens tennis than it does on the mens side.

Statistically, Petrova vs Schnyder are higher ranked players, so the matchup may seem like a better one. However, once you add in the fact that Venus/Hingis would rather gnaw their own knuckles off before she let the other one win, then you'd understand why the Venus/Hingis match might be more compelling.

Also, they share 10 singles GS between the both of them.

well, ok, but they will both have to win a lot more to make things really interesting. I'm sincerely happy for you guys who have been missing their rivalry and all. I just like Petrova and Schnyder better as players, and maybe i'm in the minority on that, but that doesn't bother me.
vogus is offline  
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Senior Member
 
SAEKeithSerena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 8,921
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaMMashA
Probably the reason why most WTA matches havent got the value you say of Williams, Hingis Seles etc. Is possibly because most of the top players (Clijsters, JHH, WS) are never all fit together its very rare these days which is through no fault of the WTA and the other top players are only just breaking through the likes of Sharapova and Kuznetsova starting to come of age. I say give it some time and you dont always have to have top players to see an excellent game of tennis

loves it, AMEN

Serena Williams.

16-Time Grand Slam Champion.

2013 Titles: Brisbane, Sony Open (Miami), Family Circle Cup, Madrid, Rome, 16th SLAM-THE FRENCH OPEN, Bastad, Roger's Cup

2013 Record: (60-4)
SAEKeithSerena is offline  
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 27,470
 
Vogus, you really need to lose those bitter pills

Infiniti2001 is offline  
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,593
                     
No one really cares about Petrova and Schnyder. The majority of the regular public know Martina and Venus. They don't know Petrova or Schnyder. And its the
regular public that will go to tennis matches to see the REAL STARS not the pretenders and not the nobodies. The REAL STARS get the TV ratings, get the bonus cash, get the endorsements. The Warsaw promoters paid some serious cash to get Hingis and Venus to play their event. They are the biggest STARS at this event. Venus and Hingis have a long history and a dynamic history on the WTA tour. Venus and Martina really were the leaders of the new generation to change the WTA tour and bring it to a younger audience. After the boring Graf domination years Venus and Hingis gave tennis life and excitment. And they still do today. The WTA desperately needs Venus and Hingis and Serena.
Morrissey is online now  
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
SAEKeithSerena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 8,921
                     
[QUOTE=vogus]Enjoy your 15 minutes of fun while you've got it. I'd rather watch Petrova vs Schnyder any day over Hingus vs Venus.

QUOTE]


are you serious

Serena Williams.

16-Time Grand Slam Champion.

2013 Titles: Brisbane, Sony Open (Miami), Family Circle Cup, Madrid, Rome, 16th SLAM-THE FRENCH OPEN, Bastad, Roger's Cup

2013 Record: (60-4)
SAEKeithSerena is offline  
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 27,470
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianII
Its really about the pedigree of the players playing the match....we're talking about 2 multiple grandslam and tons of titles winners, from the same era , stands to reason that to get those GSes and titles they must have clashed dramatically countless times ,
schynder and petrove could play the perfect tennis match with every body aware of it and yet their next match would still not have close to the anticipation of a Martina/venus match regardless of the quality of their last encounter. Neither petrova or Scyhnder provide that kind of pedigree separetly and together the provide nothing at all...... just 2 top players playing a match
Word

Infiniti2001 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome