Is The Current Generation Weak, Or Was The Previous Generation Just That Strong? - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,389
                     
Is The Current Generation Weak, Or Was The Previous Generation Just That Strong?

I was just reading a thread about Ivanovic, and I realized. Gee, this current generation is awfully weak.

Or is it? From the previous generation we had so so so many champions spring up. Some took longer than others (Henin, Mauresmo) while others did well right away (Hingis, Serena)/

I Sharapova going to be the Tracy Austin of this generation? Or will the Kirilenko's, Ivanovic's have Myskina likek improvements?

Is this 18-20 generation weak?
CJ07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
it's weak in the sense that it breaks the pattern of each generation of players being better than the one before. There is simply a huge void in top tennis talent in the birth years 1985-1988. Sharapova basically has those four years all to herself.
vogus is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Belgrade
Posts: 1,760
                     
I think the previous generation does seem to have been stronger, because if you think about it, the likes of Kim and Justinie, even Mauresmo were netting Slam finals by this point... Moreover, you has others like Dokic who were very strong and consistant. I can't see either Ivanovic, Vaidisova or any of the others making a Slam final this year because they don't have the consistancy to win 6 matches against these really mentally tough players like Henin, Maria, Davenport, Kim...

Even if you think about it, Jelena Dokic was really really consistant by the age of 18 or so, even if she didn't achieve the same degree of success. She was consistantly doing well in Tier Is, not alot of losses to lower ranked players, usually good Slam appearances... On the other hand, the teenagers of 5 years ago did definitely benefit from the fact that there was not such a strong older generation as there is now.

You are the one... you're my number one...

ALLEZ JUSTINE!


Јелена Јанковић Keep it going!
**Jelica** is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
hingis-seles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 19,163
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Jelica**
I think the previous generation does seem to have been stronger, because if you think about it, the likes of Kim and Justinie, even Mauresmo were netting Slam finals by this point... Moreover, you has others like Dokic who were very strong and consistant. I can't see either Ivanovic, Vaidisova or any of the others making a Slam final this year because they don't have the consistancy to win 6 matches against these really mentally tough players like Henin, Maria, Davenport, Kim...

Even if you think about it, Jelena Dokic was really really consistant by the age of 18 or so, even if she didn't achieve the same degree of success. She was consistantly doing well in Tier Is, not alot of losses to lower ranked players, usually good Slam appearances... On the other hand, the teenagers of 5 years ago did definitely benefit from the fact that there was not such a strong older generation as there is now.
You're kidding right? Graf, Seles, Sanchez-Vicario, Novotna, Martinez, etc were more than holding their own. Look at 1998, when all the hype was on the teenagers (Hingis, Kournikova, Williamses) but the old guard won 3 of the 4 majors, with Hingis' win in Australia being the lone teenage slam. The old guard of the previous generation was much more accomplished and stronger than anything this generation's old guard has to offer.

FUCK YOU, SEWTA.
[/SIZE]
hingis-seles is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
TeaMMashA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,244
                     
I think Maria S is strides ahead f the rest of the generation maybe its because shes so good, shes been very consistent in tournaments like Semis at Grand Slams with the exception of Quarter at RG but still good for her not being a great player on clay, and the stat of 25 Consecutive Quarters or Further and having already claimed a Wimbledon Title, 2 Tier 1's, YEC And World Number 1 ranking shes definatly strides ahead. Unfortunatly i dont see players like Ana or Makiri being great players like JHH and Clijsters which is a shame.

Maria Sharapova
World Number One
Maria Kirilenko|Nicole Vaidisova

.Tatiana Golovin.Nadia Petrova.Ana Ivanovic.Olga Poutchkova.
.Caroline Wozinacki.Anna ChakVetadze.Anna-Lena Groenefeld.
.Sam Stosur.Michaella Krajicek.Svetlana Kuznetsova.
TeaMMashA is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
tennisrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,226
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles
You're kidding right? Graf, Seles, Sanchez-Vicario, Novotna, Martinez, etc were more than holding their own. Look at 1998, when all the hype was on the teenagers (Hingis, Kournikova, Williamses) but the old guard won 3 of the 4 majors, with Hingis' win in Australia being the lone teenage slam. The old guard of the previous generation was much more accomplished and stronger than anything this generation's old guard has to offer.
Couldn't agree more.

"You know why I didn't go to Chelsea even though they offered more than 55m, because I love football and to play it attractively"
-Ronaldinho

Roman Abramovich-tax cheat Jose Maurinho-Megalomaniac


Proud to be a Gunners fan. We're skint, but proud


tennisrox is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM
country flag PLP
Senior Member
 
PLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,088
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles
You're kidding right? Graf, Seles, Sanchez-Vicario, Novotna, Martinez, etc were more than holding their own. Look at 1998, when all the hype was on the teenagers (Hingis, Kournikova, Williamses) but the old guard won 3 of the 4 majors, with Hingis' win in Australia being the lone teenage slam. The old guard of the previous generation was much more accomplished and stronger than anything this generation's old guard has to offer.
I think it is a good point that the teenagers that are coming up aren't as accomplished as the "veterans" when they were younger, some of whom aren't even mid-tewnties yet: Jutine, Kim, Venus, Serena, Martina, Amelie, Mary, and Lindsay...There are quite a lot of them and it is hard to imagine any of the current teenagers winning a slam, having to beat a bulk of these players (Masha obviously, but she has already done it)
So I don't think you can say the 'old-guard' was more accomplished, though certainly not less...
PLP is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
I think the difference is ... in the past champions have been great quickly. Evert, Austin, to Seles, Graf to Hingis, Venus, Serena ... they were winning everything from an early age or at least showed promise. Right now the only "youngster" that is winning early is Sharapova.

Of course you have your late bloomers like Navratilova, Davenport & Capriati...but for the most part, it seems like you start early in tennis.
tennisIlove09 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,389
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
I think the difference is ... in the past champions have been great quickly. Evert, Austin, to Seles, Graf to Hingis, Venus, Serena ... they were winning everything from an early age or at least showed promise. Right now the only "youngster" that is winning early is Sharapova.

Of course you have your late bloomers like Navratilova, Davenport & Capriati...but for the most part, it seems like you start early in tennis.
which makes me wonder if sharapova is going to have 5 years or so to herself
CJ07 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 649
                     
I think the previous generation was just too good. I can remember when Hingis, Venus, Serena, and Anna K. came on the scene there was lots of hype surrounding them and it was deserved, but the new crop of young players are just not wroth the hype.
tennisjay is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome