Justine: 'It's a little knee, a little stomach, shoulder, I deal with lots of things' - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
spiceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 50,457
                     
Justine: 'It's a little knee, a little stomach, shoulder, I deal with lots of things'

Henin-Hardenne hopes for healthy shot at winning again
The Desert Sun
March 9, 2006 March 9, 2006

INDIAN WELLS - For better or worse, Justine Henin-Hardenne made a vow to stay healthy this year to get back to world No. 1.

That's where she was when she won the Pacific Life Open in 2004, but for the past two years she's battled multiple health problems with her knee, stomach, and shoulder that often kept her out of tournaments and, in some cases, away from the game for months.

This year, however, she's begun a new regimen and it's guided her to the No. 3 ranking in the world. She is seeded first here at the Indian Wells event.

"I'm just so happy to be back in Indian Wells," said the 23-year-old Belgian, who already won at Sydney and Dubai this season. "It's a very special tournament and when you win the tournament, it's always special. I couldn't be here last year because of an injury another injury, but I'm happy to be back."

Henin-Hardenne, a three-time finalist and two-time winner this season with a 14-1 record, will face the winner of the first-round match between Bulgarian Tsvetana Pironkova and Spaniard Virginia Ruano Pascual.

Still she is concerned with an injury that she says will plague her for the remainder of her career.

She's dealt with knee problems, hamstring pulls, hypoglycemia, a long bout with cytomegalovirus (viral infection), but is worried most of all about nagging shoulder tendinitis. Another ailment she's contracted is an ulcer that she says wreaks havoc because she's admittedly "an anxious person."

"It's a little knee, a little stomach, shoulder, I deal with a lot of things," she said. "I'm getting better but slowly, taking care of myself."

Henin-Hardenne was criticized for an illness at the start of the season when she defaulted out of the final of the Australian Open against No. 2 Amelie Mauresmo. Anti-inflammatories taken for her shoulder pain caused a reaction and stomach pain. She could not continue after falling behind, 6-1, 2-0.

"I was sorry about the way it ended for Amelie (the Frenchwoman's first Grand Slam) but I cannot feel responsible for that,'' she said.

"It took me time to get better. It was two to three weeks to go to another level. It's still going to take a few weeks, but you don't live in the past, you have to stay focused on what to do today."

Now, despite winning in Sydney and for the third time in Dubai, where she beat Maria Sharapova, 7-5, 6-2, she's resting her recurring right shoulder tendinitis between tournaments.

"It's a serious problem in the shoulder so I am not serving at all (in practices)," she said. "I rest my shoulder (so) I can play without any problem but I have trouble with that. It's a tendinitis problem and it's something that will be there for my whole career."

Henin-Hardenne said her new recovery program begins with rest, but she's added more running to keep her fitness. Exercise has been introduced to compensate the shoulder.

"I'm playing consistent enough, but not playing as much," she said. "This year if I stay healthy I can have chances to get better - and better in rankings. But that's not my main goal. The first is to stay healthy. It's frustrating because you can't go out and do what you love to do so much. But if I stay healthy, everything will come pretty quickly."

While 2004 and early 2005 were marred be either illness or injury, the solid baseliner still possesses that lethal backhand although she is serving 20 kilometers (equal to 12.43 miles per hour) slower than she was when she felt 100 percent at Sydney.

"We work on the flexibility and the agility and do more running than in the past," she said. "The work is a little different. But I don't work as hard and give time to my body to recover."

With a Tour schedule that runs from January to mid-November she knows it's difficult to take time for recovery.

However, she said it's the same for all the players. That's the reason she doesn't consider herself a favorite here or any place else.

"The calendar is full and players play a lot of tournaments," she said. "It's hard on the body. The intensity of the game is getting higher and higher. Sometimes your body just says stop. "It doesn't matter what your seed is at all. When you walk on the court, two girls want to win the match. Everyone has a chance to win. That's what makes tennis so interesting."

But I, being poor, have only my dreams
I have spread my dreams under your feet
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
spiceboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
kosmikgroove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1,176
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy
[b][font=Times][size=5]
"The calendar is full and players play a lot of tournaments," she said. "It's hard on the body. The intensity of the game is getting higher and higher. Sometimes your body just says stop. "It doesn't matter what your seed is at all. When you walk on the court, two girls want to win the match. Everyone has a chance to win. That's what makes tennis so interesting."
love it
kosmikgroove is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Justineladivine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 994
                     
Damn... sounds bad. If your serve's going to be affected for the rest of your career... can you really hope to stay on top of the game?
I don't like what I've read above...
Justineladivine is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 3,639
                     
But Justineladivine, she's still winning despite these little problems, isn't she?

...
turt is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Justineladivine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 994
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by turt
But Justineladivine, she's still winning despite these little problems, isn't she?
You're right. She still sounds positive despite all her health problems. I guess I should be too, damn my pessimistic nature (lol)
Justineladivine is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:14 PM
pav
Senior Member
 
pav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: new zealand
Posts: 9,642
                     
A little knee a little stomach and shoulder
these things happen as we get worn out and older
at least Juju dosen't get what happens to me
every time I watch certain players on T V
Juju this wont happen to you
if it did there would be more work for your hand to do

BepaZvonareva Don't read my reps anymore, very relaxing Lydia Ko , Felicity Jones, Emilia Clarke, Rachel Khoo.
pav is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Justineladivine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 994
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav
A little knee a little stomach and shoulder
these things happen as we get worn out and older
at least Juju dosen't get what happens to me
every time I watch certain players on T V
Juju this wont happen to you
if it did there would be more work for your hand to do
OMG, you naughty boy, you (lol)
Justineladivine is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,059
                     
She doesn't have Ma and Florence bleeding her dry, so how bad can it be?

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is online now  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:47 PM
country flag CC
Senior Member
 
CC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Still Point
Posts: 8,726
                     
I'm afraid she's become an unsympathetic character for me.
CC is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Yo soy esa, la que pone la cosa tiesa
 
Carmen Mairena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,260
                     
Justine
Carmen Mairena is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Senior Member
 
ezekiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: manjaro
Posts: 4,806
                     
well she sure whines a lot which is a shame for such a young and successful woman
ezekiel is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Senior Member
 
RenaSlam.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25,038
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy
Henin-Hardenne hopes for healthy shot at winning again
The Desert Sun
March 9, 2006 March 9, 2006

INDIAN WELLS - For better or worse, Justine Henin-Hardenne made a vow to stay healthy this year to get back to world No. 1.

That's where she was when she won the Pacific Life Open in 2004, but for the past two years she's battled multiple health problems with her knee, stomach, and shoulder that often kept her out of tournaments and, in some cases, away from the game for months.

This year, however, she's begun a new regimen and it's guided her to the No. 3 ranking in the world. She is seeded first here at the Indian Wells event.

"I'm just so happy to be back in Indian Wells," said the 23-year-old Belgian, who already won at Sydney and Dubai this season. "It's a very special tournament and when you win the tournament, it's always special. I couldn't be here last year because of an injury another injury, but I'm happy to be back."

Henin-Hardenne, a three-time finalist and two-time winner this season with a 14-1 record, will face the winner of the first-round match between Bulgarian Tsvetana Pironkova and Spaniard Virginia Ruano Pascual.

Still she is concerned with an injury that she says will plague her for the remainder of her career.

She's dealt with knee problems, hamstring pulls, hypoglycemia, a long bout with cytomegalovirus (viral infection), but is worried most of all about nagging shoulder tendinitis. Another ailment she's contracted is an ulcer that she says wreaks havoc because she's admittedly "an anxious person."

"It's a little knee, a little stomach, shoulder, I deal with a lot of things," she said. "I'm getting better but slowly, taking care of myself."

Henin-Hardenne was criticized for an illness at the start of the season when she defaulted out of the final of the Australian Open against No. 2 Amelie Mauresmo. Anti-inflammatories taken for her shoulder pain caused a reaction and stomach pain. She could not continue after falling behind, 6-1, 2-0.

"I was sorry about the way it ended for Amelie (the Frenchwoman's first Grand Slam) but I cannot feel responsible for that,'' she said.

"It took me time to get better. It was two to three weeks to go to another level. It's still going to take a few weeks, but you don't live in the past, you have to stay focused on what to do today."

Now, despite winning in Sydney and for the third time in Dubai, where she beat Maria Sharapova, 7-5, 6-2, she's resting her recurring right shoulder tendinitis between tournaments.

"It's a serious problem in the shoulder so I am not serving at all (in practices)," she said. "I rest my shoulder (so) I can play without any problem but I have trouble with that. It's a tendinitis problem and it's something that will be there for my whole career."

Henin-Hardenne said her new recovery program begins with rest, but she's added more running to keep her fitness. Exercise has been introduced to compensate the shoulder.

"I'm playing consistent enough, but not playing as much," she said. "This year if I stay healthy I can have chances to get better - and better in rankings. But that's not my main goal. The first is to stay healthy. It's frustrating because you can't go out and do what you love to do so much. But if I stay healthy, everything will come pretty quickly."

While 2004 and early 2005 were marred be either illness or injury, the solid baseliner still possesses that lethal backhand although she is serving 20 kilometers (equal to 12.43 miles per hour) slower than she was when she felt 100 percent at Sydney.

"We work on the flexibility and the agility and do more running than in the past," she said. "The work is a little different. But I don't work as hard and give time to my body to recover."

With a Tour schedule that runs from January to mid-November she knows it's difficult to take time for recovery.

However, she said it's the same for all the players. That's the reason she doesn't consider herself a favorite here or any place else.

"The calendar is full and players play a lot of tournaments," she said. "It's hard on the body. The intensity of the game is getting higher and higher. Sometimes your body just says stop. "It doesn't matter what your seed is at all. When you walk on the court, two girls want to win the match. Everyone has a chance to win. That's what makes tennis so interesting."
Newsflash Justine: Most of the top players have more than one injury ongoing at one time. You aren't the only one.
RenaSlam. is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
TennizFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 228
                     
I hope her shoulder gets better... that seems to be her most serious injury.
TennizFan is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:49 PM
SWOOP!
 
Mother_Marjorie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,444
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaSlam588
Newsflash Justine: Most of the top players have more than one injury ongoing at one time. You aren't the only one.
Newsflash!

Justine isn't the only one in the WTA that complains about their injuries. I mean, some players have been so "noticably" injured that their ranking has dropped well below everyones expectation.

Justine is playing through it. Not everyone has that capability, 'ya know.
Mother_Marjorie is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:36 AM
country flag PLP
Senior Member
 
PLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,855
                     
After reading this I think I am finally over being annoyed at her in Australia . I didn't know she had tendinitis in her shoulder, that is the worst. I wonder if she has ever tried yoga? That has helped me and I suffer from some shoulder/trapezius things. Anyway, I wish her the best this year, unless she is playing Martina, She might not be playing for that many more years with a problem like that, Go Justine!
PLP is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome