INSTANT REPLAY: Tennis Players Will Be Able to Challenge Disputed Calls at US OPEN...
The U.S. Open will be the first Grand Slam tennis event to use instant replay to review disputed calls.
The WTA and ATP Tours will also begin regularly using instant replay, starting with the Nasdaq-100 Open in Key Biscayne, Fla., on March 22.
"In my 20 years in professional tennis, this is one of the most exciting things to happen for players, fans and television viewers," eight-time Grand Slam champion Andre Agassi said Monday in a statement. "This new technology will add a whole new dimension to the game."
Players will have two opportunities in each set to have calls reviewed. A computerized model of the play will be shown on a review official's screen, as well as the stadium screen and on television. If a call is overturned, the player will keep their challenge opportunity. Otherwise, they'll lose one.
"If anyone's been listening to my commentary the past year then they know I'm in favor of using replay," John McEnroe said. "I think it will make tennis more interesting."
Players will get an additional challenge for a tiebreaker, but no challenges will be carried over to subsequent sets.
"With the speed and power of today's game, the time has come for tennis to benefit from new technology," said Arlen Kantarian, the USTA's chief executive for professional tennis. "This new breakthrough - perhaps the most significant change to the game since the tiebreaker - will improve line calls for players, while adding excitement and intrigue for fans and TV viewers."
The International Tennis Federation approved the Hawk-Eye technology late last year. It was first tested at the Champions Tour's season-ending event at Royal Albert Hall in London.
In December, the Hopman Cup in Perth, Australia, became the first elite event to use Hawk-Eye.
"As a player, I want to know that line calls are as accurate as technology will allow," Maria Sharapova said. "In that sense, today's announcement is great news for all players."