If Amelie had a flatter forehand- my guess is she would have 6 slams now - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Reuchlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,825
                     
If Amelie had a flatter forehand- my guess is she would have 6 slams now

you heard it here first. She is a perfect example of a player that never learned to hit like Davenport, Serena, Sharapova.
Reuchlin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Heyyy
 
SvetaPleaseWin.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,784
                     
you may have a point
SvetaPleaseWin. is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 49,954
                     
I like Momo's game the way it is... sure she could flatten her forehand a little more though (from time to time)!

But I like her game cause she has so much variety and it is quite unlike the other top players IMO

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
I disagree because I dont consider hitting flatter to necessarily mean being more agressive.
You can hit a flatter shot and it can still not be the right high percentage move when it comes to ending the rally.
Its about being aggressive with whatever kind of game you have and to go for your shots.
Mauresmo has been accused of not doing so for most of her career. The grass of Wimbledon makes her do so but still she probably did not do enough until the Australian Open this year.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 548
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan1984
.If Amelie had a flatter forehand- my guess is she would have 6 slams now
i'm not far to agree with you!

the problem i think is her forehand technic in itself: each time she hits a forehand ,not only you have the feeling it won t be flat and generally dangerous for the opponent but more interestingly , you also have the impression she will injure her wrist!

i love Amelie's game but i have to say that if i were a tennis coach,i wouldn t advise the younger players to copy her forehand technique......sorry Amelie

Last edited by lolo21; Mar 5th, 2006 at 01:09 AM.
lolo21 is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Junior Member
 
StarrJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 25
                     
I dont nessesarily agree. I mean Amelie and her game are unique i that she plays her balls so deffrently from alot of the girls even before you put the whole "flat forhand" thing into play. I think her topspin shots are good, but she could USE a flatter forhand for sure. She has a problem finishing some points off at the baseline i feel, especially against the other big babes.

But i dont think her forhand has prevented her from winning any slams, her mental game has done that.
StarrJones is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 548
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrJones

But i dont think her forhand has prevented her from winning any slams, her mental game has done that.
i would say it was 50 % because of her mental ,30% because of her forehand and 20% because of other things(luck,simply facing better players,etc...).........i just couldn t remember how many times her forehand has let her down in big games......then you could also say it was due to her mental but i'm not that sure......
lolo21 is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Junior Member
 
StarrJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 25
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo21
i would say it was 50 % because of her mental ,30% because of her forehand and 20% because of other things(luck,facing better players,etc...).........i just couldn t remember how many times her forehand has let her down in big games......then you could also say it was due to her mental but i'm not that sure......

I think clearly its a mat5ter of a combination of things. Every player, no matter how talented they are, unless maybe your Serena Williams...theres a slight possibility you could end up with a slamless career....i mean, look at Jennifer Capriati! TONES OF TALENT, great game, powerfull, big, strong and a great record, BUT she could have been one of those "so talented but no slam" players....kim clijsters too....

At the end of the day, Amelie was at the right place at the right time, and she won the slam....great for her she 100% deserved it...but, like i said, its a factor of things, and she simply got lucky, and every slam player, to a certain degree have been "lucky" (it aint a ball park walk to win these things!)

Starr.
StarrJones is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Hingie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,048
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan1984
you heard it here first. She is a perfect example of a player that never learned to hit like Davenport, Serena, Sharapova.
Are you serious???

There are hundreds of girls who hit really flat forehands - that is not the answer to anyone's problem! The reason Serena and Lindsay and Mary are so successful with it is because they have inpeccable timing, upper body strength and the other variables that help them understand the swing speed required etc.

Mauresmo has a lot of work on her backhand with the spin, it's only natural that her forehand generates a lot of topspin also. I just think she needs to be more confident with it at time and maybe follow some of her good shots to net to finish off points.
Hingie is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,064
                     
she it's that the fact that it's not flat that is problem because ultimately that would just lead to more errors - it's that it is not really technically sound shot and when she gets tight she just brushes the ball the much that it lands incredibly short. It's a very nice shot when she plays freely though but nowhere nearly as natural as her backhand.
switz is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Junior Member
 
StarrJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 25
                     
A really incredible head pro at one of my tennis clubs pointed out to me that he saw Amelie play against one of the Russians (i think Petrova) anjd he said that she hit the ball like a "14 year old public court boy tennis player"....i kid you not, he said her shots were totally weak and un pro like....

whatever was the case, he got the sence that her forhand was only being brushed, obviously shes NOT a "14 year old public court player" and it WAS an offensive remark...but for a girl her physical size, she should muscle that shot more.
StarrJones is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Reuchlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,825
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingie
Are you serious???

There are hundreds of girls who hit really flat forehands - that is not the answer to anyone's problem! The reason Serena and Lindsay and Mary are so successful with it is because they have inpeccable timing, upper body strength and the other variables that help them understand the swing speed required etc.

Mauresmo has a lot of work on her backhand with the spin, it's only natural that her forehand generates a lot of topspin also. I just think she needs to be more confident with it at time and maybe follow some of her good shots to net to finish off points.
combine Amelie's atheltic ability with flat hitting and you've got a Serena, Venus, Clijsters.

Venus: US Open Champ (2000, 2001) Wimbledon Champ (2000, 2001, 2005, 2007)
Reuchlin is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
esquímaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 釜を掘&
Posts: 15,244
                     
I agree, the forehand technique could use a makeover, but I like it anyway It's a Momo trademark.

"誰も私を止める停が出来なかったか"
- Jinpachi Mishima
- Jedah Douma
"恐れてはいけない. 私は最初であり, 最後である"
esquímaux is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
leeber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,292
                     
Think would be a good add on though, for variety sake

~reese witherspoon~
leeber is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Shenay La Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Perryland
Posts: 376
                     
I don't agree. Mauresmo's backhand is versatile, which IMO, can't be said for all backhands on the WTA tour. The obstacle in winning her first Slam has been her mental fragility. I'm glad she finally got on board and looks poised (based on her recent results) to win maybe a second Slam this year.
Shenay La Soul is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome