Serena's Top 5 Comebacks - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
serenafan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,651
                     
Serena's Top 5 Comebacks

Hey - there was a thread for Venus - so why not one for Serena! She is one of the game's best fighters, hands down. Serena knows how to use her drive and competitiveness to squeeze out a victory like nobody else. She's had so many great matches in her career, so it's hard to choose just five. But here's my list:

5)Serena d. Capriati 2002 YEC Semifinals 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
This match is the best one in the rivalry between these two if you ask me. Capriati has never played so agressively against Serena, and yet she still couldn't beat her. Serena was down 3-1 in the third set and was a point from going down 4-1. But she steeled her nerves and fought her way back into it. The points were so intense!

4)Serena d. Mauresmo 2004 Wimbledon Semifinals: 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
Wow. Mauresmo was up a set and 3-1, and she was playing the tennis of her life. Serena had no reason to win that match, but she dug deep and pulled it out. Fantastic points in the third set too!

3)Serena d. Mauresmo 2004 YEC Semifinals: 4-6, 7-6, 6-4
This match was better than the match at Wimbledon IMO. Serena REALLY had no business winning this one. She was sort of ho-humming her way through. Then when she starting attacking the net, things turned around. She saved 12 break points in the third set - hitting winners on 10 of them. This was arguably the highest quality match of 2004.

2)Serena d. Maria 2005 Aussie Open Semifinals: 2-6, 7-5, 8-6
Unbelievable. So many people had crowned Maria the new "It Girl" of tennis after her Wimbledon victory, and many were starting to believe that she had Serena's number. For a set and a half, it appeared that way. Serena was down 4-5 in the second set and 3-5 in the third. Keep in mind, she saved three match points in the third set - two of them with forehand winners - and only needed one match point to close it out. To me, this was a big statement victory.

1) Serena d. Kim 2003 Aussie Open semifinals: 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
Does it get any better than this??? She was down 5-1 in the third set, and encountered two match points, and still fought her way to a victory. Of course, the big storyline here was her "Serena Slam," and many thought that Kim was going to be the one to stop her. Amazing stuff. This was a signature match for Serena.

Give me your thoughts and your top five lists too!

Serena Williams
21-Time Grand Slam Champion

6 AO ('03, '05, '07, '09, '10, '15) 3 FO ('02, '13, '15)
6 WBN ('02, '03, '09, '10, '12, '15) 6 USO ('99, '02, '08, '12, '13, '14)
serenafan08 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Senior Member
 
cometz9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,628
                     
1998 Sydney QF Serena Williams def. (3) Lindsay Davenport 1-6 7-5 7-5 saving 2 mps at 2-5 in the 2nd....too bad i never saw this match

VenuS SerenA JennifeR LindsaY
cometz9 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometz9
1998 Sydney QF Serena Williams def. (3) Lindsay Davenport 1-6 7-5 7-5 saving 2 mps at 2-5 in the 2nd....too bad i never saw this match
I was going to say that one as well. The 03 OZ was a huge UFE fest
tennisIlove09 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
 
venus_rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,343
                     
i was there for the Serena/Capriati match at the YEC in 2002. It was spectacular tennis by both players and it was nice to see Serena pull that out especially after Venus crapped out and couldn't play the first semifinal

RIDE OR DIE! Down for Venus Williams



[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Keeper of Venus & Serena
 
VSFan1 aka Joshua L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 27,424
                     
Also Serena coming back at the 1999 Indian Wells final against Graf - her first Tier I final and championship


Loves of my life....
Venus Ebone Starr Williams
Serena Jamica Williams
a lifelong and devoted fan since 1996

Official Life Coach of the Royal Court
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Senior Member
 
vwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,860
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenafan08
Hey - there was a thread for Venus - so why not one for Serena! She is one of the game's best fighters, hands down. Serena knows how to use her drive and competitiveness to squeeze out a victory like nobody else. She's had so many great matches in her career, so it's hard to choose just five. But here's my list:

5)Serena d. Capriati 2002 YEC Semifinals 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
This match is the best one in the rivalry between these two if you ask me. Capriati has never played so agressively against Serena, and yet she still couldn't beat her. Serena was down 3-1 in the third set and was a point from going down 4-1. But she steeled her nerves and fought her way back into it. The points were so intense!

4)Serena d. Mauresmo 2004 Wimbledon Semifinals: 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
Wow. Mauresmo was up a set and 3-1, and she was playing the tennis of her life. Serena had no reason to win that match, but she dug deep and pulled it out. Fantastic points in the third set too!

3)Serena d. Mauresmo 2004 YEC Semifinals: 4-6, 7-6, 6-4
This match was better than the match at Wimbledon IMO. Serena REALLY had no business winning this one. She was sort of ho-humming her way through. Then when she starting attacking the net, things turned around. She saved 12 break points in the third set - hitting winners on 10 of them. This was arguably the highest quality match of 2004.

2)Serena d. Maria 2005 Aussie Open Semifinals: 2-6, 7-5, 8-6
Unbelievable. So many people had crowned Maria the new "It Girl" of tennis after her Wimbledon victory, and many were starting to believe that she had Serena's number. For a set and a half, it appeared that way. Serena was down 4-5 in the second set and 3-5 in the third. Keep in mind, she saved three match points in the third set - two of them with forehand winners - and only needed one match point to close it out. To me, this was a big statement victory.

1) Serena d. Kim 2003 Aussie Open semifinals: 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
Does it get any better than this??? She was down 5-1 in the third set, and encountered two match points, and still fought her way to a victory. Of course, the big storyline here was her "Serena Slam," and many thought that Kim was going to be the one to stop her. Amazing stuff. This was a signature match for Serena.

Give me your thoughts and your top five lists too!
Those are the same ones I would list with defeat of Kim and Maria at the top, putting both players in the places and silencing the media hype around them!
vwfan is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: North, South & Third Pole
Posts: 36,363
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometz9
1998 Sydney QF Serena Williams def. (3) Lindsay Davenport 1-6 7-5 7-5 saving 2 mps at 2-5 in the 2nd....too bad i never saw this match
I saw this match. The famous Davenport shriek was the point where the match turned around. It's scary that you can actually pinpoint that exact moment.

Light of the Seven: Himalayas, Gobi, Baikal, Taiga, Steppe, Reef, Aurora

Dancing and Skating through Life
Sam L is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Williams Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Venus!
Posts: 20,610
                     
i didn't watch tt match... what's the shriek abt?

VENUS
Serena
Lindsay Jelena Maria

Mary : Monica : Svetlana : Sania : Jennifer : Amelie
Roddick : Grosjean : David : Djokovic
Williams Rulez is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Geisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,907
                     
I agree with all except for #5 where it should be changed to the '98 Sydney QF.

Let them eat cake.
Geisha is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
serenafan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,651
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometz9
1998 Sydney QF Serena Williams def. (3) Lindsay Davenport 1-6 7-5 7-5 saving 2 mps at 2-5 in the 2nd....too bad i never saw this match
I forgot about this one!!! I didn't see it, so it never came to mind. Even back then - before she won any majors - her fighting character was pulling her through. Serena rocks.

Serena Williams
21-Time Grand Slam Champion

6 AO ('03, '05, '07, '09, '10, '15) 3 FO ('02, '13, '15)
6 WBN ('02, '03, '09, '10, '12, '15) 6 USO ('99, '02, '08, '12, '13, '14)
serenafan08 is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
serenafan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,651
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Also Serena coming back at the 1999 Indian Wells final against Graf - her first Tier I final and championship
I didn't see this one either. What was the score?

Serena Williams
21-Time Grand Slam Champion

6 AO ('03, '05, '07, '09, '10, '15) 3 FO ('02, '13, '15)
6 WBN ('02, '03, '09, '10, '12, '15) 6 USO ('99, '02, '08, '12, '13, '14)
serenafan08 is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,187
                     
Serena def. Kuznetsova at the China Open. (Splendid match!)

Serena def. Myskina at 2004 YECs. Serena was down a set and 2 breaks, and still won the match!
Simplicity is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Bounty Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Home
Posts: 1,794
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenafan08
5)Serena d. Capriati 2002 YEC Semifinals 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
This match is the best one in the rivalry between these two if you ask me. Capriati has never played so agressively against Serena, and yet she still couldn't beat her. Serena was down 3-1 in the third set and was a point from going down 4-1. But she steeled her nerves and fought her way back into it. The points were so intense!
I was there that day. That match made up for both semi's since Venus gave Kim the walkover.

That match was sooooooooo enjoyable because both are my favs. But of course, I was so happy when Serena did her thing.....

Serena Williams


*** Svetlana Kuznetsova - Victoria Azarenka - Ana Ivanovic - Shahar Peer ***
Bounty Hunter is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hungary
Posts: 1,108
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenafan08
IW - 99: I didn't see this one either. What was the score?
The final score was 6-3 3-6 7-5. Graf opened the final set with a break, and had points for a double-break in the third game, seemed she is totally in control by that time, I really thought there Graf'd win 6-2 3rd set.
Around 4-4 Serena broke back, I don't remeber excatly...
tommystar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome