The WTA Position on Drug Testing - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2005, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AsGoodAsNew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 745
                     
The WTA Position on Drug Testing

No doubt many have asked before, but I'm curious to know what the WTA policy on drug testing is - given the Sesil issue already posted on here.

Is it an anytime, anyplace, anywhere policy? Obligatory? Or random? If random, can that be fair? I don't believe that tennis is totally clean, no sport is - not saying it's right! But is everyone tested in a Grand Slam? Sorry for my ignorance - but to hang a girl out to dry if no else is tested seems daft to me! Shouldn't everyone be tested all the time?
AsGoodAsNew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Kimmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 322
                     
I think it is random, but I dunno for sure. You can check out antidoping on the WTA website here. You can also find out who was tested and where here

Hope this is some help.

I've kind of gathered that you have absolutely no idea what to expect any more, and I'll just kind of take it as it happens.
- Lindsay Davenport feeling philisophical at the US Open 2005

I think I've achieved a lot of things now in my career. I guess I can really be relaxed now about the way I walk on court and the way I play. Really not too much to prove anymore.
- Amelie Mauresmo: Australian Open Champion 2006

Bored? Check out my site: Bleed Before You

Myspace
LiveSpace
Kimmi is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AsGoodAsNew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 745
                     
Thank you!
AsGoodAsNew is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
LostInThe80s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 867-5309
Posts: 658
                     
I wonder how many of those banned products are available at local stores.
LostInThe80s is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2005, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
creep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: R.I.P Ethel
Posts: 3,589
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInThe80s
I wonder how many of those banned products are available at local stores.
Seven
creep is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2005, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
TheBoiledEgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: in Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 180,359
                     
WTA have very lax rules,
it was only cos it was a slam that the ITF had the testings done

Good luck in 2016 to my favs*Kuznetsova*Sharapova*Kleybanova*Vesnina*Shvedova*Kulichkova*Kasatkina*
Pavlyuchenkova*Makarova*Diatchenko*Pivovarova*Gasparyan*Leykina*Zhuk*Potapova*Pervushina*AZARENKA *Govortsova
MINELLA TsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea
*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*
Cetkovska*Svitolina*
Pliskova's*Rus*Bellis*Soylu*Sibille*Uberalova*Eden Silva*
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2005, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lindao
Posts: 256
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg
WTA have very lax rules,
it was only cos it was a slam that the ITF had the testings done
Probably because in tennis doping doesn't make much sense. They play the whole year, and doping makes sense if there is only 1 or 2 big events like olympiad or world championship.

As far as I know, doping increases your performance only for a specific time, then it decreases dramatically. So it doesn't make much sense, if you want to play well the whole year.
DanWoody is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2005, 07:02 PM
Senior Member
 
rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,966
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWoody
Probably because in tennis doping doesn't make much sense. They play the whole year, and doping makes sense if there is only 1 or 2 big events like olympiad or world championship.

As far as I know, doping increases your performance only for a specific time, then it decreases dramatically. So it doesn't make much sense, if you want to play well the whole year.
that's not true, otherwise the sport withthe most cases of doping wouln't be cycling, which has one of the longest seasons....(less than tennis nowadays, but this is extreme), a lot of products are useful in building up your condition or your muscles, which is something you can effect on for a long time

They're coming to get you Barbara!
rand is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2005, 07:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,425
                     
I don't know what is their position on doping! I'm sure however, that a top name in tennis would never be implicated in a doping scandal.

"Child,you really think you're gonna win Roland Garros
with Vera in the draw?"
Ferosh is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
crazillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 35,741
                     
Thanx, really interesting. 4 times one week is harsh!

FLAVIA PENNETTA

US OPEN CHAMPION 2015

Thank you for all these moments over the last years! Supported you until your final point!
crazillo is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lindao
Posts: 256
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand
that's not true, otherwise the sport withthe most cases of doping wouln't be cycling, which has one of the longest seasons....(less than tennis nowadays, but this is extreme), a lot of products are useful in building up your condition or your muscles, which is something you can effect on for a long time
I know that from football, where it was said by some doctors. Normally football players don't have doping, because they play the whole year also.

Certainly you're right about the muscles, but those blood doping doesn't function over the whole year, because the body would break down.
DanWoody is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:40 PM
Senior Member
 
rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,966
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWoody
I know that from football, where it was said by some doctors. Normally football players don't have doping, because they play the whole year also.

Certainly you're right about the muscles, but those blood doping doesn't function over the whole year, because the body would break down.
true, but
a)we're not talking only blood doping
b)even when talking blood-doping, you can use it on training to improve your muscular mass, which is what many cyclists do....even if you use it only for a short time, the positive effects last for a while...

They're coming to get you Barbara!
rand is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome