My view on Martina...
I am sorry if some Martina fans don't like this, but it's my opinion on her now.
This is not driven by her last loss but has been built through the last 2 years.
In my opinion, Martina has lost the train, simple. Whatever she is doing, is clearly not working.
I've heard that Martina was playing better, that she is becoming aggressive, etc.
But it has been a long time since she could be seen as a threat.
Losing to Venus is nothing to be ashamed of but, if she is unable to even take a set off an injured Venus on clay, what can she expect on hardcourts?
Let's see how she is doing against the top players:
1) Venus: they have played twice in the last two years. Their matches used to be exciting and normally 3 sets, the last two were lopsided and straight sets for Venus. Not even on clay Martina seems to have a chance.
2) Serena: of the last 3 meetings, she was completely trashed in two, US Open last year and KB this year Martina looked defenseless, as she was the # 100 ranked not a former # 1.
One match went to 3 sets but it was mostly Serena piling up UE and playing her first tournament since January. Conclusion, Martina doesn't currently have weapons to play Serena.
3) Monica: Martina has won the last two meetings, but they were close and Monica isn't at her best, physically and game wise. Last year, with Monica fit, she lost twice in a row.
4) Jennifer: Martina did push Jennifer at the Australian Open, but wasn't able to close down that match. Jennifer has won their last 4 meetings, 3 of them in Grand Slams
5) Linday: they haven't played much lately, but Lindsay was the first player to establish a dominance over Martina, when Lindsay is back, that's likely to continue.
6) Amelie, they played 3 times last year, with Amelie winning two.
7) Kim, Daniela: They both have beaten Martina. Martina still can beat them but they are improving and Martina is not, they might soon join the list.
8) Jelena: Jelena had that infamous win over Martina in Wimbledon, I don't count it but, as Kim and Daniela, she is getting better and will be a problem for Martina in the future.
9) Justine: They haven't played since 2000. Justine is in a sort of slump and she hasn't recovered the form she had in Wimbledon.
However, Justine has showed there is room for improvement. Most of her problems are in her, not her opponents. Her serve, her mental block against Kim, her tendency to choke, or to walk away from matches. Justine can have a horrible loss in one tournament and be on fire the next (Key Biscayne, Amelia Island), and she has demonstrated that she has the game to compete against the very top players. She has lost the last 5 matches against Venus but 4 of them went to 3 sets and in the last one, she had the match nearly wrapped up. If Martina plays Justine today, she will probably win, but I anticipate that will change in the near future.
As a conclusion. Martina was dominant in 1997. Then she was a top player the next 3 years, meaning that she wasn't dominant, there were a selected group of players that could beat her, but that was even, she could beat them as well, and other than that reduced group, she was nearly guaranted to win against any other player.
From last year, Martina is clearly not in the heading group, she clearly cannot compete against the Williams or Capriati, it's a toss up againt other top 10 player and if she now plays a low ranked player, I don't bet my savings on her.
She still has the ability, and is only 21, but clearly the path she has chosen is incorrect, what does she need to know? it's a matter of discussion but she really needs to make huge changes.