Has the Hingis story... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,247
                     
Question Has the Hingis story...

drowned out much of the interest in the ability to play of Jen, Chanda, and Monica? (Please discuss).
*JR* is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
yukon145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Back in America
Posts: 5,374
                     
yes, but i think its only because Martina enjoys the spotlight and the media. the others enjoy their life outside of the public eye. there has been little or no media attention about the other 3. i think thats why.
yukon145 is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Yes, but only temporarily. Announcement of a Seles return would make big headlines but it's different than Hingis because nobody really believes that Seles can come back and make an impact in terms of being a leading player. Rubin doesn't make that many waves under any circumstances. But people are expecting a lot from Hingy.

Capriati will just let her results do the talking, she's not much about fanfare.
vogus is offline  
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mayfield
Posts: 16,885
                     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus
Yes, but only temporarily. Announcement of a Seles return would make big headlines but it's different than Hingis because nobody really believes that Seles can come back and make an impact in terms of being a leading player. Rubin doesn't make that many waves under any circumstances. But people are expecting a lot from Hingy.

Capriati will just let her results do the talking, she's not much about fanfare.
Agreed.
auntie janie is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,554
                     
agreed with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon145
yes, but i think its only because Martina enjoys the spotlight and the media. the others enjoy their life outside of the public eye. there has been little or no media attention about the other 3. i think thats why.

and vogus too......
it's a question of personnality only.....and media love people like her ......
manu32 is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
K.U.C.W-R.V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 879
                     
For me, definitely.

Her relative youth, big personality & the possiblity of interesting matchups with the Willams sisters, the Belgians & Sharapova, all make the 2006 WTA Tour a very attractive proposition.

No disrespect to the others but they are all pushing (or over) 30 - their return would only be a last hurrah. At 25, Hingis is young enough to have a genuine second career, just as Capriati did between 2000 & 2004.

Henin......Myskina......Agy

"Justine will not beat Serena or Venus on hard Surfaces. Venus will demolish Venus on Grass so will Serena. Oh don't get me started on Carpet."
K.U.C.W-R.V is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Senior Member
 
barmaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,631
                     
Her "star" presence on and off the court was established early in her career and we all know she "loves" the limelight ....so this is her moment to garner all the headlines ...Monica at 32 wouldn't create many waves, Capriati a few more I would think and poor Chanda hardly a ripple!


barmaid
barmaid is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Senior Member
 
~Cherry*Blossom~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 26,222
                     
Yes, but only because she has announced for definite that she will return and is targeting Melbourne!!!

Seles and Capriati haven't really said when they will return!!! I think, when (if) Seles announces her return to the tour, it will be massive!!!

However, both of them are being very coy on when/if they are returning, therefore a lot less attention is surrounding them than Hingis!!!

Serena
Venus Venus
Serena

THE ROYAL SAINT - OFFICIAL MEMBER OF THE ROYAL COURT
USO99 FO02 W02 USO02 AO03 W03 AO05 AO07 USO08 AO09 W09 AO10 W10 W12 USO12 FO13 USO13 USO14 AO15 FO15 W15 W16
W00 USO00 W01 USO01 W05 W07 W08
~Cherry*Blossom~ is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,722
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR*
drowned out much of the interest in the ability to play of Jen, Chanda, and Monica? (Please discuss).
No one really believes Seles is returning to the tour for anything more than a victory lap anymore, and that's just not that interesting.

Rubin wasn't ever a big enough star.

Capriati has made a deliberate choice to fly under the radar. She's not someone to whom the media has always been kind.

Hingis is still young enough that if she can solve the puzzle, she can still be a top player.

What's interesting is that when Hingis retired, many people said no player her size would ever thrive in the WTA again. But now there are three players smaller than her in the top fifteen, including the reigning RG champ. Who also has been #1 since Hingis retired. So the whole 'Martina vs the Amazons' storyline has kind of fizzled.

I also wonder if this will affect her place in tennis history. I think history as already assessed Venus Williams as the better of the two players, just because Venus began winning slams when they were 20, and Hingis stopped. The H2H swung to Venus at that point as well.

If Hingis returns and can't make the top ten, when players even smaller than her, like Henin-Hardenne and Schnyder can, it's starts seeming more the case that hingis' game simply matured early, rather than being transcendent.

Proud to be an American
Not blind. Not uninformed. We are party to atrocities. But the response of the world after 9/11 is worth noting. Even our most dire enemies offered aid. We should all be so lucky.
Volcana is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Mercredi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 349
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
No one really believes Seles is returning to the tour for anything more than a victory lap anymore, and that's just not that interesting.

Rubin wasn't ever a big enough star.

Capriati has made a deliberate choice to fly under the radar. She's not someone to whom the media has always been kind.

Hingis is still young enough that if she can solve the puzzle, she can still be a top player.

What's interesting is that when Hingis retired, many people said no player her size would ever thrive in the WTA again. But now there are three players smaller than her in the top fifteen, including the reigning RG champ. Who also has been #1 since Hingis retired. So the whole 'Martina vs the Amazons' storyline has kind of fizzled.

I also wonder if this will affect her place in tennis history. I think history as already assessed Venus Williams as the better of the two players, just because Venus began winning slams when they were 20, and Hingis stopped. The H2H swung to Venus at that point as well.

If Hingis returns and can't make the top ten, when players even smaller than her, like Henin-Hardenne and Schnyder can, it's starts seeming more the case that hingis' game simply matured early, rather than being transcendent.
Which Histroty made Venus better than Hingis? I disagree, Hingis acheived much more than Venus at this point in their Career, Venus is an amazing champion but she never was the best for a long time of period.
Mercredi is offline  
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Senior Member
 
venus_rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,343
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercredi
Which Histroty made Venus better than Hingis? I disagree, Hingis acheived much more than Venus at this point in their Career, Venus is an amazing champion but she never was the best for a long time of period.

It's arguable, but I think it's still fair to say Hingis has had the better career. But I do think history does look at Venus as the better player and there is a difference. Again, many people believe that part of the reason Hingis thrived so much is because of a lack of competition. This is not to say she would not have been successful on the tour anyway, I think she would have been, she was too good not to win, but amongst most people who have followed tennis and can be objective, I think her stats are seen as a bit exaggerated. Really from mid 1999 onwards Hingis wasn't the best player in the world, and as we go deeper into the 2000's that point becomes more and more clear, but she was still ranked number one. In part because she played so many tournaments, but also in part because one, Lindsay started becoming chronically injured for parts of the year and two, Venus didn't play enough. This is in no way Martina's fault, but it begs the point that under "normal" circumstances, Hingis' reign at number one would have ended long before it did. Not to mention that someone posted a stat a few days ago that in her five slam wins, Hingis only had to beat 6 top 10 players. Finally, history has really felt Venus was always going to be the better player really from 1998 on. When Venus beat Martina in Sydney and in Miami in 1998, the though process became that when the two met the match was in Venus' hand. She was either going to hold her nerve and win, or get nervous and start spraying forehands. But does any of this really matter? Both players are going into the Hall of Fame for sure, so why argue who's higher on the best ever list. As we've seen with some of the more, ahem, colorful posters on the board, no one's going to agree on one "best ever" anyway, so being one of the few is good enough.

RIDE OR DIE! Down for Venus Williams



[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline  
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Senior Member
 
crazyroberto6767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,073
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
What's interesting is that when Hingis retired, many people said no player her size would ever thrive in the WTA again. But now there are three players smaller than her in the top fifteen, including the reigning RG champ. Who also has been #1 since Hingis retired. So the whole 'Martina vs the Amazons' storyline has kind of fizzled.

If Hingis returns and can't make the top ten, when players even smaller than her, like Henin-Hardenne and Schnyder can, it's starts seeming more the case that hingis' game simply matured early, rather than being transcendent.
I think there are going to always be special cases of players being smaller and beating the bigger players of the game. However, in nearly all of these cases, these players have not played like Hingis. They have built up their bodies and produced as much power as the bigger girls. Thus I think people were accurate in saying there wouldn't be another Hingis, because her game becomes harder and harder to win with.

As for overshadowing other possible comebacks, it's like what others are saying: it's the choice of the player to make it a big deal or not. I believe that even if Chanda was a bigger star, she still wouldn't have made a big hooplah about her comeback. Same with Capriati who has already made a quiet comeback. It's more of the personality in most instances, rather than the level of stardom. Seles coming back would be *huge* news, but I don't see it happening and she would probably try to make it as quiet as possible. Although I'm sure it would only last a year or two anyways.

Oh and as for the Venus vs. Hingis debate, I would say Hingis is still ahead due to her massive doubles success. Another singles slam would probably put Vee ahead of Marti in almost anyone's mind. It's impossible to say who is really the "better player".

Martina/Serena/Venus/Monica

Lindsay*ElenaD*Milagros*Mary*Svetlana*Nuria*
Mashona*Dinara*Laura*Chrissie*VeraD*JelenaD*Lucie*

Ana*Sania*Shuai*Katarina*Nadia*Chanda*Ai*
crazyroberto6767 is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Senior Member
 
thelittlestelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,381
                     
Yes, but if Monica came back she would get just as much, if not more, press than Hingis. Jen and Chanda have not been out of the game nearly as long as Monica or Hingis.

VENUSWILLIAMS

LINDSAYDAVENPORT MARTINAHINGIS SERENAWILLIAMS MONICASELES CHANDARUBIN DANIELAHANTUCHOVA JENNIFERCAPRIATI MARYPIERCE JELENADOKIC KIMCLIJSTERS ANNAKOURNIKOVA JILLCRAYBAS
thelittlestelf is offline  
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
franny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,207
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlestelf
Yes, but if Monica came back she would get just as much, if not more, press than Hingis. Jen and Chanda have not been out of the game nearly as long as Monica or Hingis.
No she wouldn't because she didn't formally announce her retirement. Technically, Monica is still just out with an injury. Martina on the other hand is coming out of retirement. It's for that reason that the Hingis story has made so much press. The other players aren't retired people. They're just injured. People expect them to come back. No one expected Hingis to come back so now everyone is shocked and surprised.

hunger, desire, fire..........
stength, power, precision.........
talent, court sense, smartness........
no i am not talking about a racket or a squirrel, i am talking about the former and future number 1..............
martina hingis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Justine Henin Hardenne, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce, and any of my other favorites that I might have forgotten about at this moment.
franny is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 15,899
                     
I think a Monica comeback would generate a lot more headlines than Hingis' return (atleast here in the US)
LeRoy. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome