Sharapova is now a Trade Mark not a Human Being - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 628
                     
Sharapova is now a Trade Mark not a Human Being

The dehumanization of athletes by marketeers and lawyers coninues unabated. Maria's greedy lawyers have invented the legal theory that she's not a human being but a "trade mark" subject to patent law, royalties, etc. Amazing!.The lawyers came up with their pistols drawn on account of a regular documentary on Russian players that obviously included Maria. Only in America! But,hopefully, a common sense Judge will rule in favor of the film makers.
From the New York Times,Nov.25/05:
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- A Florida production company has sued tennis star Maria Sharapova over the right to market a documentary about Russian women tennis players.

The federal lawsuit filed Monday claims Sharapova objected to the use of her name and image in the documentary, ''Anna's Army: Behind the Rise of Russian Women's Tennis,'' which was produced by Byzantium Productions, Inc., of West Palm Beach.

The documentary, which includes interviews with players and historical material, has been sold in DVD format since May, in the United States and abroad. It also has been broadcast on television in the U.S. and Russia.

''In this country where we have a First Amendment, we have the right to make documentaries about current events, subjects of interests,'' said attorney L. Martin Reeder, Jr., who represents plaintiff Byzantium.

In late September, an attorney for the agency that represents Sharapova, IMG, and her company, SW19, Inc., sent a letter accusing Byzantium of misappropriating Sharapova's identity, infringing on her company's commercial trademark and legal rights, and on Sharapova's personal rights, privacy rights and common law trademark rights, according to the suit.

''They sent a cease and desist letter demanding that Byzantium stop using her image and name, either in advertising or in the documentary itself, and threatening to sue,'' Reeder said.

Attorney Jonathan C. Koch of Tampa, who represents Sharapova and SW19, Inc. said he was not aware of the lawsuit and couldn't comment.

Sharapova was the first Russian to win the Wimbledon title, and the first ranked ''number one'' on the WTA Tour, according to the suit.
Cris Senior is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,552
                     
She's only a trade mark in the press & media. In her personal life she's a happy, wealthy tennis player.
A lot of these professional athletes aren't even remotely aware of the things said about them outside of their own little world.
I always thought that if I was THAT popular i'd type my name in Google and look up myself in forums like this one - truth is she probably has never even BEEN on a computer in her life. The top athletes, especially in the tennis world where there is no true 'off season' - surround themselves with practice courts, family, a few interviews, & the tournaments.

Maria probably isn't even aware of the DVD or documentary. It's probably her huge troup/posse.
MisterMan is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Dan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AUS
Posts: 32,784
                     
I can confirm Maria has been on a computer before...and has read forums...not necessarily this one though Her management company is more than likely the major player in looking out for her 'legal and trademark rights', I havent seen comment from Maria so its hard to say what her view is.
Dan23 is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Mafia_Sharapova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kingdom of Maria Mafia
Posts: 1,343
                     
Maria's only a young girl

1111 Eternal follower of the Golden Girl


Mafia Angel of the Maria Mafia


Mafia_Sharapova is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Spunky83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: D´dorf
Posts: 10,846
                     
For 20 Million/year I´d sell my name without thinking about it twice!

Riding the 3AM Rollercoaster

Visit: Anastasia-Myskina.com
Inside-Tennis.net
Justine - Nastya - Ana


M-A2R0T0I6N-A
Spunky83 is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris Senior
The dehumanization of athletes by marketeers and lawyers coninues unabated. Maria's greedy lawyers have invented the legal theory that she's not a human being but a "trade mark" subject to patent law, royalties, etc. Amazing!.The lawyers came up with their pistols drawn on account of a regular documentary on Russian players that obviously included Maria. Only in America! But,hopefully, a common sense Judge will rule in favor of the film makers.
From the New York Times,Nov.25/05:
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- A Florida production company has sued tennis star Maria Sharapova over the right to market a documentary about Russian women tennis players.

The federal lawsuit filed Monday claims Sharapova objected to the use of her name and image in the documentary, ''Anna's Army: Behind the Rise of Russian Women's Tennis,'' which was produced by Byzantium Productions, Inc., of West Palm Beach.

The documentary, which includes interviews with players and historical material, has been sold in DVD format since May, in the United States and abroad. It also has been broadcast on television in the U.S. and Russia.

''In this country where we have a First Amendment, we have the right to make documentaries about current events, subjects of interests,'' said attorney L. Martin Reeder, Jr., who represents plaintiff Byzantium.

In late September, an attorney for the agency that represents Sharapova, IMG, and her company, SW19, Inc., sent a letter accusing Byzantium of misappropriating Sharapova's identity, infringing on her company's commercial trademark and legal rights, and on Sharapova's personal rights, privacy rights and common law trademark rights, according to the suit.

''They sent a cease and desist letter demanding that Byzantium stop using her image and name, either in advertising or in the documentary itself, and threatening to sue,'' Reeder said.

Attorney Jonathan C. Koch of Tampa, who represents Sharapova and SW19, Inc. said he was not aware of the lawsuit and couldn't comment.

Sharapova was the first Russian to win the Wimbledon title, and the first ranked ''number one'' on the WTA Tour, according to the suit.
Welcome to "open" tennis. This is nothing new. Ask the corporate bigwigs behind ChrisAmerica and the tennis boom of the mid-70s how this happened. While you're at it, rub a bit-o-polish on the old guy's head and make three wishes:

1. That the standard size frame returns to professional tennis;
2. That the industry that expoits women as nothing more than sex objects gives way to promoting women as athletes; and
3. That the classic game of tennis makes a big comeback.


There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,552
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan23
I can confirm Maria has been on a computer before and has read forums
Come on. maybe before she was a pro.

Don't tell me, you saw a someones user name that said "Maria S" ??!!
MisterMan is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 29,298
 
I can understand the rich and famous trying to protect their names, unfortunately, with someone making a documentary Maria and her people probably don't have any case.
Infiniti2001 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
JulesVerne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 285
                     
This is crazy.
JulesVerne is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Dan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AUS
Posts: 32,784
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMan
Come on. maybe before she was a pro.

Don't tell me, you saw a someones user name that said "Maria S" ??!!
what do you think?
Dan23 is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 02:01 PM
country flag SJW
Senior Member
 
SJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Allez
Posts: 11,016
                     
*chuckling at her company being called SW19 Inc*
SJW is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 21,972
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW
*chuckling at her company being called SW19 Inc*
you should have seen me when I first read about Aneres I mean, how much closer could you be to you know what?

Vassilissa is my girl............
tenn_ace is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 02:17 PM
country flag SJW
Senior Member
 
SJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Allez
Posts: 11,016
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace
you should have seen me when I first read about Aneres I mean, how much closer could you be to you know what?
go onto the roof of your tallest building and walk right off.
SJW is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 21,972
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW
go onto the roof of your tallest building and walk right off.
with the name like Aneres, she should

Vassilissa is my girl............
tenn_ace is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 02:35 PM
country flag SJW
Senior Member
 
SJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Allez
Posts: 11,016
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace
with the name like Aneres, she should
your fascination and obsession with her is somewhat sickening. in case you failed to realise this thread is about Maria Sharapova. Serena has nothing to do with this so stop being such a ****. comment on the content or fuck off. i chuckled because calling her company "SW19 Inc" is really cute.
SJW is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome