A proposed change in the schedule - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 25,055
                     
A proposed change in the schedule

Not a huge one. I'd like to end the year with Beijing. Beijing is currently week #38 in the tour year, We'll flip Guangzhou/Seoul, currently at week #39, with Beijing. The WTA Championships would be played in what is not week #40 (1st week in October). I'd also move the Japan Open to week #39.

What happenes to the European indoor season? Move it to December and make it the beginning of the season. So the year would start around December 1st, and end around Oct 1st. This schedule doesn't match the calendar year, but many sports don't.

Why the change? It eliminates the long period between the last slam, and the YEC. This way, the whole year seems to be leading up to something. We'd have seven weeks of tournaments leading up to OZ. And only two or three weeks after the US Open til the YEC. I'd really like to see Roland Garros a couple weeks earlier, and WImbldeon a week later, but there aren't enough grass court events to make that worthwhile. As if either tournament would change their dates that much anyway.

It's just idle speculation.
.

Proud to be an American
Not blind. Not uninformed. We are party to atrocities. But the response of the world after 9/11 is worth noting. Even our most dire enemies offered aid. We should all be so lucky.
Volcana is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
TomTennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,113
                     
ew that sounds terrible. Have the season start on December 1st!?? no no, that does not sound rite at all.

I agree with the RG and Wimby being a bit more distant, but that would be difficult to accomplish with not many grass court tourneys.

Ok. How bout this. switch Toray Pan Pacific Open to week 1, and move everything else back one week, so the Aussie Open would start week4, not 3. That could be one solution for the OZ.
TomTennis is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,003
                     
and you wont get many players wanting to play over Xmas.
jonny84 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,273
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny84
and you wont get many players wanting to play over Xmas.
A lot of these players are practicing anyway over the holidays. The season starts 6 days later for many of them. The NBA has games on Christmas. The NFL on Thanxsgiving. I don't see it being that big of a deal.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Rican In The Burgh
 
charmedRic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yinzer Land
Posts: 37,630
                     
I like those suggestions.
charmedRic is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Keeper of Venus & Serena
 
VSFan1 aka Joshua L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 27,414
                     
Or you could move tournaments like Dubai and the latin America tournaments to December and then replace those with the European events.


Loves of my life....
Venus Ebone Starr Williams
Serena Jamica Williams
a lifelong and devoted fan since 1996

Official Life Coach of the Royal Court
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 26,507
                     
No.
GoDominique is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Senior Member
 
crazillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 36,616
                     
It's not good to move Tokyo into week 1, because it's a completely different surface.

I would change RG and Wimbledon. Say, we have Wimlbedon as the 2nd GS of the year. It would be earlier and then we could have a long clay-court season which devides those two events.

FLAVIA PENNETTA

US OPEN CHAMPION 2015

Thank you for all these moments over the last years! Supported you until your final point!
crazillo is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Geisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,907
                     
It is pretty simple. Just take out those sloppy events late in the year- Guangzhou, Seoul, India- these events should be taken out of the calendar. After the US Open, we should have like, five weeks with these tournaments:

Zurich, Moscow, Philadelphia, Beijing, Linz, Filderstadt, YEC.

Let them eat cake.
Geisha is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,096
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
Not a huge one. I'd like to end the year with Beijing. Beijing is currently week #38 in the tour year, We'll flip Guangzhou/Seoul, currently at week #39, with Beijing. The WTA Championships would be played in what is not week #40 (1st week in October). I'd also move the Japan Open to week #39.

What happenes to the European indoor season? Move it to December and make it the beginning of the season. So the year would start around December 1st, and end around Oct 1st. This schedule doesn't match the calendar year, but many sports don't.

Why the change? It eliminates the long period between the last slam, and the YEC. This way, the whole year seems to be leading up to something. We'd have seven weeks of tournaments leading up to OZ. And only two or three weeks after the US Open til the YEC. I'd really like to see Roland Garros a couple weeks earlier, and WImbldeon a week later, but there aren't enough grass court events to make that worthwhile. As if either tournament would change their dates that much anyway.

It's just idle speculation.
.
One slight problem - the good Lord sent his only son so that there could be christmas. Who do you think won't want a christmas with their families and will want to fly back and forth to europe passing santa's sleigh in flight?

The good Lord also created winter in the northern hemisphere - who do you think is going to struggle in through the snow in the middle of their christmas shopping to watch a tennis tournament.
fammmmedspin is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,096
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo
It's not good to move Tokyo into week 1, because it's a completely different surface.

I would change RG and Wimbledon. Say, we have Wimlbedon as the 2nd GS of the year. It would be earlier and then we could have a long clay-court season which devides those two events.
Do you propose changing the tilt of the earth so that wimbledon is actually warm enough for the players not to suffer from hypothermia? Ever been to Eastbourne in June. Now take off several degrees and add more rain.
fammmmedspin is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,096
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniflava
It is pretty simple. Just take out those sloppy events late in the year- Guangzhou, Seoul, India- these events should be taken out of the calendar. After the US Open, we should have like, five weeks with these tournaments:

Zurich, Moscow, Philadelphia, Beijing, Linz, Filderstadt, YEC.
if we had the world economy of 30 years ago that might make sense - as it is though China india and korea have thriving expanding economies whilst Europe is stagnating and the US is in relative decline. Massive fast growing economies with populations that want entertainment and where the money is held by relatively few people are far better hunting grounds than countries who have stagnant economies, many things to sopend money on, high taxes and decreasing numbers of successful national players and falling TV ratings. Those 3 tournaments are going to be the future of the WTA when Indian Wells, Berlin and San Diego are fond memories.
fammmmedspin is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Tennace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 12,602
                     
I think they should bring Advanta back and then I dont care what happens, as long as the US Open isnt moved anywhere.

NICOLE VAIDISOVA

Dokic - Hantuchova - Zakopalova - Minella - Szavay - Bammer - Safarova
Stanciute - Panova - Gubacsi - Cibulkova - Cirstea - Hofmanova - Cetkovska


Official Limo Driver of Don't Knock the Dok
Tennace is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Mateo Mathieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Cockatoo Island
Posts: 61,743
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTennis
ew that sounds terrible. Have the season start on December 1st!?? no no, that does not sound rite at all.

I agree with the RG and Wimby being a bit more distant, but that would be difficult to accomplish with not many grass court tourneys.

Ok. How bout this. switch Toray Pan Pacific Open to week 1, and move everything else back one week, so the Aussie Open would start week4, not 3. That could be one solution for the OZ.
Trust me, it's not solve the problem for AO because if AO move back few more week and the attendance will have only few as all children have to back to school! We have to stay the way it was and there will have plenty of full houses.


Inspiration is for amateurs


Faves: Mona Barthel / Samantha Stosur / Roberta Vinci
Mateo Mathieu is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Ambrosia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North America
Posts: 235
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
Not a huge one. I'd like to end the year with Beijing. Beijing is currently week #38 in the tour year, We'll flip Guangzhou/Seoul, currently at week #39, with Beijing. The WTA Championships would be played in what is not week #40 (1st week in October). I'd also move the Japan Open to week #39.

What happenes to the European indoor season? Move it to December and make it the beginning of the season. So the year would start around December 1st, and end around Oct 1st. This schedule doesn't match the calendar year, but many sports don't.

Why the change? It eliminates the long period between the last slam, and the YEC. This way, the whole year seems to be leading up to something. We'd have seven weeks of tournaments leading up to OZ. And only two or three weeks after the US Open til the YEC. I'd really like to see Roland Garros a couple weeks earlier, and WImbldeon a week later, but there aren't enough grass court events to make that worthwhile. As if either tournament would change their dates that much anyway.

It's just idle speculation.
.
Interesting idea but does this mean that the European indoor season would be the preparatory tournaments for Melbourne?
Ambrosia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome