Serena's Serve at the 2004 YEC - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Geisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,907
                     
Serena's Serve at the 2004 YEC

Was last year's YEC the best Serena has served?

In five matches, she smacked 42 aces. 14 against Lindsay and 11 against Mauresmo, alone...

Let them eat cake.
Geisha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Senior Member
 
RenaSlam.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25,032
                     
She was serving well, and hard.

She hit one that was 129 MPH (the fastest I have ever seen on the women's tour) but it was out.
RenaSlam. is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Paialii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 616
                     
I'm not someone that has memorized stats, however I do recall her serving pretty well that week. I think rather than ace count, the best I've seen her serve was against Martina Hingis at the 2001 US Open semifinals in the second set where she had a 100% serving percentage and moved the serve all around that box.

But as for aces in a tournament, not sure.


Serena Williams
Martina Navratilova
Steffi Graf
Paialii is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,940
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniflava
Was last year's YEC the best Serena has served?

In five matches, she smacked 42 aces. 14 against Lindsay and 11 against Mauresmo, alone...
You didn't see the final, did you? Serena couldn't raise her arm above her head. All she was doing was spinning serves in the 60-70 mph range AT BEST. That match (the final) never should have gone three sets.

Proud to be an American
Not blind. Not uninformed. We are party to atrocities. But the response of the world after 9/11 is worth noting. Even our most dire enemies offered aid. We should all be so lucky.
Volcana is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Venus+Serena#1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: MIA
Posts: 1,289
                     
hmmm very interesting. I actually hadn't noticed Serena's serve was that strong at the YEC. Truth is, Serena's serve, when she still wants to, is the best in the game.

The question is, why doesn't Serena want to serve like that in a consistant basis, and if she does want to, why doesn't she??

her serve still has the best disguise, placement and speed imo. Her second serve was very deep and difficult to attack as well. She's still got it, hope she starts serving like her old self once she is healthy again!
Venus+Serena#1fan is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Geisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,907
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paialii
I'm not someone that has memorized stats, however I do recall her serving pretty well that week. I think rather than ace count, the best I've seen her serve was against Martina Hingis at the 2001 US Open semifinals in the second set where she had a 100% serving percentage and moved the serve all around that box.

But as for aces in a tournament, not sure.
Yeah. In the second set, Martina was able to get back only three first serves- she had sixteen chances.

Let them eat cake.
Geisha is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 02:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Paialii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 616
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
You didn't see the final, did you? Serena couldn't raise her arm above her head. All she was doing was spinning serves in the 60-70 mph range AT BEST. That match (the final) never should have gone three sets.
Uh, hello? She was severely injured and probably should have retired that match but chose to play on. Up until the second set in that match she was serving beautifully.


Serena Williams
Martina Navratilova
Steffi Graf
Paialii is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Geisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,907
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
You didn't see the final, did you? Serena couldn't raise her arm above her head. All she was doing was spinning serves in the 60-70 mph range AT BEST. That match (the final) never should have gone three sets.
She was injured in the last two sets of that final. I'm talking about the whole tournament in general. Had she not been injured, we would have continued hitting aces.

Let them eat cake.
Geisha is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 535
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaSlam588
She was serving well, and hard.

She hit one that was 129 MPH (the fastest I have ever seen on the women's tour) but it was out.
True, but at AO 2003 Venus against Hantuchova hit a 133 that just missed, she also hit one at 130 at USO versus Serena that hit the baseline.

If Serena was as tall as Venus she would easily reach 135!!! It is amazing she can get 126, she certainly has been going for it, while Venus has toned it down.
VRULES is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:00 AM
Senior Member
 
RenaSlam.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25,032
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRULES
True, but at AO 2003 Venus against Hantuchova hit a 133 that just missed, she also hit one at 130 at USO versus Serena that hit the baseline.

If Serena was as tall as Venus she would easily reach 135!!! It is amazing she can get 126, she certainly has been going for it, while Venus has toned it down.


That's insane!
RenaSlam. is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Senior Member
 
VeeReeDavJCap81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,542
                     
I think that's the reason why she got injured at the YEC. She was serving so hard during that entire tournament. Plus the balls were really heavy.

Really, don't even look at me...
VeeReeDavJCap81 is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Senior Member
 
LindsayRocks89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 3,384
                     
maybe she served alot of aces, but idk if anyone else noticed but as 2004 progressed, serenas serve really went downhill, the motion didn't look as smooth, and especially this year in 2005 it really doesn't look the same at all, but i'm sure once shes completly healthy it will be back to the way it was. i do remember in later parts of the match of the finals in australia she was serving like she did pre injury(2003 and before) and the second serve was there again and was kicking up really high.
LindsayRocks89 is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Geisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,907
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayRocks89
maybe she served alot of aces, but idk if anyone else noticed but as 2004 progressed, serenas serve really went downhill, the motion didn't look as smooth, and especially this year in 2005 it really doesn't look the same at all, but i'm sure once shes completly healthy it will be back to the way it was. i do remember in later parts of the match of the finals in australia she was serving like she did pre injury(2003 and before) and the second serve was there again and was kicking up really high.
It was. Against Lindsay at the AO, she was serving awesome in those last two sets, even though Lindsay didn't put up much of a fight.

Let them eat cake.
Geisha is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:16 AM
Senior Member
 
jan.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 604
                     
On the stats alone she seemed to be serving well compared to her other matches in 2004. I still have the Serena Vs. Maria Video on my comp.

Allodoxaphobia- Fear of opinions.
ANASTASIAMYSKINA
jan. is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Geisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,907
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.
On the stats alone she seemed to be serving well compared to her other matches in 2004. I still have the Serena Vs. Maria Video on my comp.
Do you really? Can you send in to me on PM?

Let them eat cake.
Geisha is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome