Solving the R U R Rnt U Retired question - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2005, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Manhattan,NYC
Posts: 2,057
                     
Solving the R U R Rnt U Retired question

WTA folks listen up. I think this is an even better time to put together another tour that will feature players playing a limited schedule who still want to play without having their bodies damaged with constant playing and traveling.

It won't be a senior league ( that sounds too old).

Here are a few players who are still marketable as tennis players:

1. Martina Hingis
2. Monica Seles
3. Sandrine Testud
4. Natalie Tauziat
5. Anna Kournikova
6. Maleeva Sisters
7. Amanda Coetzer
8. Chanda Rubin****not retired
9. Jennifer Capriati****not retired
10.Iva Majoli

And so forth......I think with wta owning the tourneys and having only twelve tourneys a year, would make it fun to watch and follow. They could guarantee players won't have to travel as much and the draws could consist of no more than 32 players. A condensed version for television. Let me know what u think.

When I think of life, sometimes my response is "Oh Damn!". But I still think of life anyway, "Oh Damn!!!"
maccardel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Senior Member
 
crazillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 36,033
                     
The Maleeva sisters aren't retired yet.

Where's Novotna? She at least as marketable as Tauziat.

FLAVIA PENNETTA

US OPEN CHAMPION 2015

Thank you for all these moments over the last years! Supported you until your final point!
crazillo is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: PimPim's Place
Posts: 4,866
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo
The Maleeva sisters aren't retired yet.

Where's Novotna? She at least as marketable as Tauziat.
Two of three are, and the third one is on her way out the door.
Andrew.. is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
crazillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 36,033
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew..
Two of three are, and the third one is on her way out the door.
And Seles not?

FLAVIA PENNETTA

US OPEN CHAMPION 2015

Thank you for all these moments over the last years! Supported you until your final point!
crazillo is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: PimPim's Place
Posts: 4,866
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo
And Seles not?
Seles is already on the list.
Andrew.. is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2005, 02:16 PM
country flag HTE
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
HTE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Denmark
Posts: 6,793
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccardel
WTA folks listen up. I think this is an even better time to put together another tour that will feature players playing a limited schedule who still want to play without having their bodies damaged with constant playing and traveling.

It won't be a senior league ( that sounds too old).

Here are a few players who are still marketable as tennis players:

1. Martina Hingis
2. Monica Seles
3. Sandrine Testud
4. Natalie Tauziat
5. Anna Kournikova
6. Maleeva Sisters
7. Amanda Coetzer
8. Chanda Rubin****not retired
9. Jennifer Capriati****not retired
10.Iva Majoli

And so forth......I think with wta owning the tourneys and having only twelve tourneys a year, would make it fun to watch and follow. They could guarantee players won't have to travel as much and the draws could consist of no more than 32 players. A condensed version for television. Let me know what u think.

The idea is nice, but I don't think that the media would be interested in the concept, most of the above players mean nothing anymore to the average sports fan. Sure Hingis and Kournikova would be attractive for any network, but sadly not the others.


Caroline Wozniacki cheering thread My sports photos - UPDATED 18. Jun. 09
¤ Wozniacki -o- Golovin -o- Hantuchova -o- Cornet -o-Kirilenko -o- Vakulenko -o- Schaul -o- Vaidisova -o- Mirza -o- Missing Marti & Anna K ¤
¤ Future stars: Barbat -o- Besser -o- Vaisemberg -o- Lukaszewicz -o- Rodina -o- Vermoezen -o- Curtis -o- Jolak -o- Kalashnikova -o- Kichenok Twins -o- Robson ¤
HTE is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
it's a terrible idea, it would take already scant media attention away from the real tour.
vogus is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2005, 09:39 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
andrewbroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: England
Posts: 6,960
                     
Monica Seles has not retired!

Monica has the same status as Jennifer Capriati at the moment: a very long injury-layoff, possibly never to return - but not officially retired!

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/seles/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selesians/

My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchová; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudová; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarëva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišová; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafářová; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybáriková; 13. Sabine Lisicki

Last edited by andrewbroad; Oct 20th, 2005 at 12:10 AM.
andrewbroad is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2005, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,028
                     
You should add:

Graf
Novotna
Sanchez-Vicario

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome